Some questions I've had...
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Some questions I've had...

Hello all, I hope everyone is well and enjoying spring! First thing I want to say is, I did do some searching around the forums and Google for information on my questions, but couldn't really find any straight answers or ones that actually specifically were what I am trying to ask, and I am sorry if I just missed the information somewhere. (I've bolded my questions so they're easier to find)

Secondly, allow me to give some information to clue you in. I had intentions of enlisting in the Marines straight out of high-school but changed my mind during my senior year and decided that I would attend college for Engineering instead. Now, I'm four semesters in and not sure if I'm cut out to be a student. I don't get terrible grades but they aren't high enough to let me move on either, and there isn't anything I do that seems to help me increase my grades. Before I revisited my old desire to join the Marines I planned on sticking out another year of schooling, signed a lease for an apartment, and filled out my FAFSA for 2012-2013. I do have a job on campus right now, but it only pays minimum wage, and I'm not guaranteed a position over summer. As far as enlisting is concerned, I've just gotten in contact, (by means of www.marines.com/home , contact a recruiter ) with a recruiter, and have received mail today regarding Marine Officer training. I have not yet driven to a recruitment office, or talked one on one with a recruiter.

Here's my dilemma/questions.

1) With my performance thus far in school, should I even consider Marine Officer training? (as a note, I'm 99% sure that I will not do this, but I am curious about what you guys think would be a smart option for me)

2) I'm concerned about the lease I signed on the apartment. I don't want to leave my friends that I'm renting with high and dry, but I also don't want to fall behind on payments because of shipping off to boot camp, not being able to find a job, etc. My question here is, does the Marine Corps, or Military for that matter, offer some way to assist a recruit with off-base living before their actual ship date? (I have read information regarding BAH, but I don't think it applies to what I'm asking)

3)During 8th grade I broke the medial epicondyle of my humerous clean off by throwing a dodge-ball during Phys. Ed. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1b/Gray419.png)(for those that don't know and can't decipher the picture, it's the little bump on the inside of your arm right "above" the elbow if you face your palms up and extend the arm) I had surgery done to reattach the bone, with two, very small titanium screws, which I opted not to have removed. I have had zero complications from this injury, and it is stronger than ever, I even went on to pitch the lowest ERA on my high-school baseball team in 20 years. My question is, will it be very difficult to be enlisted because of this, or will it lead to straight up disqualification?

I know this is a lot of information and I'm asking a lot in this thread, but I'm happy receiving whatever insight you men and women are willing to provide me with. I'm willing to make a new post if it's necessary to go into more detail, and all criticism is welcomed. I also, reiterating, have not yet talked with a recruiter, so all this is basically just preliminary detective work, and I will most definitely be raising the same questions with them, regardless the answers I get here, but I just would like some basic knowledge to further my research and understanding.

Thank you for your time and input, it's much appreciated, more than you know.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsievers View Post
    Hello all, I hope everyone is well and enjoying spring! First thing I want to say is, I did do some searching around the forums and Google for information on my questions, but couldn't really find any straight answers or ones that actually specifically were what I am trying to ask, and I am sorry if I just missed the information somewhere. (I've bolded my questions so they're easier to find)

Secondly, allow me to give some information to clue you in. I had intentions of enlisting in the Marines straight out of high-school but changed my mind during my senior year and decided that I would attend college for Engineering instead. Now, I'm four semesters in and not sure if I'm cut out to be a student. I don't get terrible grades but they aren't high enough to let me move on either, and there isn't anything I do that seems to help me increase my grades. Before I revisited my old desire to join the Marines I planned on sticking out another year of schooling, signed a lease for an apartment, and filled out my FAFSA for 2012-2013. I do have a job on campus right now, but it only pays minimum wage, and I'm not guaranteed a position over summer. As far as enlisting is concerned, I've just gotten in contact, (by means of www.marines.com/home , contact a recruiter ) with a recruiter, and have received mail today regarding Marine Officer training. I have not yet driven to a recruitment office, or talked one on one with a recruiter.

Here's my dilemma/questions.

1) With my performance thus far in school, should I even consider Marine Officer training? (as a note, I'm 99% sure that I will not do this, but I am curious about what you guys think would be a smart option for me)

2) I'm concerned about the lease I signed on the apartment. I don't want to leave my friends that I'm renting with high and dry, but I also don't want to fall behind on payments because of shipping off to boot camp, not being able to find a job, etc. My question here is, does the Marine Corps, or Military for that matter, offer some way to assist a recruit with off-base living before their actual ship date? (I have read information regarding BAH, but I don't think it applies to what I'm asking)

3)During 8th grade I broke the medial epicondyle of my humerous clean off by throwing a dodge-ball during Phys. Ed. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1b/Gray419.png)(for those that don't know and can't decipher the picture, it's the little bump on the inside of your arm right "above" the elbow if you face your palms up and extend the arm) I had surgery done to reattach the bone, with two, very small titanium screws, which I opted not to have removed. I have had zero complications from this injury, and it is stronger than ever, I even went on to pitch the lowest ERA on my high-school baseball team in 20 years. My question is, will it be very difficult to be enlisted because of this, or will it lead to straight up disqualification?

I know this is a lot of information and I'm asking a lot in this thread, but I'm happy receiving whatever insight you men and women are willing to provide me with. I'm willing to make a new post if it's necessary to go into more detail, and all criticism is welcomed. I also, reiterating, have not yet talked with a recruiter, so all this is basically just preliminary detective work, and I will most definitely be raising the same questions with them, regardless the answers I get here, but I just would like some basic knowledge to further my research and understanding.

Thank you for your time and input, it's much appreciated, more than you know.
    Can't answer the 1st question....

The Marine don't give any monies to help with off base housing while you are in the DEP....you need to be married or with dependents to qualify for BHA.....look this up on a search....because it is a long read

Current devices, including, but not limited to silastic or titanium, implanted to correct orthopedic abnormalities (V43), are disqualifying....you would need to speak to a recruiter to see if this is waiverable....take any and all paperwork from the doctor with you.

Can't anybody on this site tell you even a cyber recruiter...you need to go physically see a recruiter and have them put in a package to MEPS.

Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Wow, I didn't expect such a quick reply! Thanks!

I expected as much for both the questions you answered, but I had some hope they'd be different, and I will certainly see a recruiter in person as soon as I can. I don't have the time right now, but I should be getting a break from classes here relatively soon and maybe will have enough time to drive out to the recruit office near me.

Again, thanks for the speedy reply, and have a good evening everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsievers View Post
    I'll try to give an answer to your first question, although it may be a little more philosophical...

The first thing you need to do is come up with an answer on why you want to become and officer of Marines. The answer to this will go a long way on determining on whether or not you should take the steps necessary to do it.

Second, understand that it is currently very difficult to get a contract to Officer Candidate School (OCS). It is very competitive, and plenty of qualified candidates who really want it aren't being given the chance to even try to prove themselves worthy.

Third, it is difficult to be a truly good officer - it takes a lot of work and a great deal of dedication. If you decide that this is what you want to do, there is no "half-way"

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks again for another quick reply!

I completely understand where you are coming from, and I honestly don't think the path of a Marine Officer is right for me, I was just curious as to what some actual Marines thought about my situation.

While reading around the forums and across the internet just tonight I stumbled across a few articles about the downsizing of the U.S. Military. Although most of these posts and articles I've found are generally from 2011 or prior, are my chances of being allowed to enlist still reduced? This still won't stop me from trying, but having an idea heading in still wouldn't hurt I don't think.

Once again, thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As enlisted you can and will be in DEP for up to a year. Just don't renew your lease and ask for a month to month contract when it expires. Apply your security deposit to your last months rent before you ship.

Thread Information