Need Some Support
Create Post

Need Some Support

Hey everyone.

So I am a soon to be Marine Reservist leaving May 1st to go to boot. Reality is starting to hit me. I am married and have a 9 month old little boy, my 2 step kids and my wife who is pregnant.

So I'm setting everything up so they will be well taken care of, but when I get up in the morning and go get my little boy and thinking of being away from him for 3 months straight, including missing his 1st birthday....makes it a hard pill to swallow.
    My wife also tells me how much she is going to miss me and how its going to be so hard.

On top of all this I have to tell my work who I been working for 6 years that I have joined the Marines Reserves and I will be gone from work. I don't know how to approach my boss and what to tell him exactly.

I know this is a great honor and their is going to be great benefits for my family and helps us secure a good future for me and my family.

Some Advice from you guys out there would help out greatly.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't overthink everything. Yes it will be hard for all but just think.
    Earning the Title of a " United States Marine " is what should be on your mind first and foremost and when you succeed, it will last forever.

You will be a Reservist so there will be plenty of Family time.

Tell your Boss exactly what you are doing. He will understand. If he doesn't oh well, the" United States Marine Corps " is the best boss you can have.

Good Luck to you.
    Make yourself, your family and ALL of us here proud by Earning the Title...

GET SOME !!!

Last edited by Rocky C; 03-23-12 at 08:23 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good profile now.

As a reservist you have an obligation to give your employer as much notice as reasonably possible whenever you receive orders. Which in your case means now. If you have written orders, give him a copy. If not, give him a written letter from you with the details. By law, verbal notice is OK and there is no requirement to provide written orders until AFTER you return, but good manners says provide written notice ahead of time if you can. Plus you have better proof of giving notice.

Legally, he can't fire you for enlisting nor can he legally fire you while you're gone. He doesn't have to pay you or provide benefits while you're gone unless he is especially generous.

I can't add much to what's been said.

But...

Life is all about sacrifice.

Nothing that is worth anything comes easy or free. You have to give something to get something.

You son will have many more birthdays -- think about how proud he will be to tell his friends someday that his father made the ultimate sacrifice, wrote the blank check to Uncle Sam -- to preserve his freedom.

Here are a few quotes for you to think about....

Freedom does not come without a price. We may sometimes take for granted the many liberties we enjoy in America, but they have all been earned through the ultimate sacrifice paid by so many of the members of our armed forces.
    History has taught us over and over again that freedom is not free. When push comes to shove, the ultimate protectors of freedom and liberty are the brave men and women in our armed forces. Throughout our history, they've answered the call in bravery and sacrifice.
    Good luck. In the big picture -- three months is a drop in the bucket.

Hey thank you Marines so much for everything. It really helps out when other people help you see the bigger picture. I really Appreciate it.

And hehe yes I got that profile all squared away.
    But really Marines, thank you.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 03-23-12 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Marines, not guys.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    This may not mean much coming from another poolee, but be strong. As much as the anxiety is starting to kick in and you will worry about leaving. Think of the good you're doing for our country. You enlisted for a reason, and you have to stick to it. Good luck brother!

Credits
    Savings
    There are some negatives,
    The benefits far outweigh the negatives.

As for your Civillian employer-- give all due respect but keep in mind
    They could be 1 out of business. 2 not need your services 3 any number of KAPUTS
    within a month ( just current conditions my friend )

Thread Information