Boot camp, Injuries & Sickness
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Boot camp, Injuries & Sickness

Hello Marines. I was just wondering what the chance of getting injured or seriously sick in boot camp is. If you have any stories about sickness or injuries please do share and if possible I would like to know how you can overcome it so you don't get recycled.

Credits
    Savings
    We had one guy punch a brick wall and break his hand because he was mad. He got dropped but I don't know what happened afterwards.

Getting sick and injured...the best thing you can do is prevent it. Pushing through it is often not a good idea because you may end up making it worse resulting in long term or permanent damage depending on what happens. Other risk like falling from the rope tower or what not...not much you can do there except not fall.

Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently and report to boot camp in good shape so you can hit the ground running.

When you have 80 people living in close quarters like a squad bay, that's the perfect place for illness to spread.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Sir. I appreciate the feedback; it seems like a stupid thing to worry about but i've read so many horror stories of people getting recycled.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaxs View Post
    Thank you Sir. I appreciate the feedback; it seems like a stupid thing to worry about but i've read so many horror stories of people getting recycled.
    Stop worrying about it. Worrying only makes you sick. If you get recycled, you get recycled. Not the end of the world.

So yes, be preventative. Wash your hands a lot, try to stay away from those who get sick.

If you do get sick, it all depends. If it is minor, you'll probably get over it and move on. Only drops we had, albeit this was a few years ago, were those who just could not participate for a prolonged period. I do not recall anybody getting sicked and dropped back, but we did have some injuries. Even then, we had a couple guys with injuries who stay aboard.

Stay healthy, eat well, drink lots of fluids, and stop worrying.

Trust me, you WILL get sick. You come in contact with hundreds of different people a day at boot camp. Seriously sick? Don't scratch yourself (cellulitis), any physical injury cant really be helped.

I remember worrying about the same thing. That’s why I never went to sick bay! I was sicker than a dog two week after I arrived, I just worked through it. I was also told to go to sick bay for a huge blister on my heal that one of my DI’s discovered at a nightly inspection. I just didn’t go the next morning like I was told. There was no way I was going to be the one guy walking around in sneakers placed on light duty. I’d rather take an ass chewing. Your body has a great ability to heal itself, especially when you get all that great exercise, three squares a day and eight hours of sleep a night.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you everyone, it means a lot.

Having spent 3 years at MCRD, I would suggest that the best things to do are:

1. Make sure that you are in shape when you ship. Folks not in shape have tendency to get hurt, plus, your as your body breaks down due to PT and stress, your are more prone to getting sick.

2. Stay clean - infections of minor cuts and scrapes have a way of escalating. Wash your hands frequently, use soap in the showers, etc. You'll have to be fast, but it is possible.

3. Eat a well balanced diet before you ship, and make sure that you are eating right while you are there.

Do that and you'll do fine - don't stress about it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes sir, will do.

Credits
    Savings
    No way that you want to get known as a sick bay commando. There was a number of times that I needed to go to sick bay but due to the stigma I toughed it out. It is better to go on so anything that might develop later will be documented in your medical record.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I had a very bad case of flu during snapping-in week at the range. I missed the last three days on best rest sicker than a dog. The series commander wanted to drop me, but my Platoon Commander stuck up for me and I stayed. I had a tough time during shooting week as I wasn't well stretched out and still wobbly from being sick, but I qualified as a Sharpshooter.

This was in 1971, I don't know how much latitude they would give now.

Thread Information