Passed Over for SSgt...I think...
Create Post

Passed Over for SSgt...I think...

So I just got home from my 3rd deployment and found out I was in the zone for SSgt in the SMCR. I submitted a picture and everything was up to date. Then the selections came out and I was not on the list. After some research...for some reason my AFADBD was missing. Zeroed out in MOL and MCTFS. After a few weeks after the selection came out I asked admin to look at my record and see if there was a P in the system. Nothing.
    Finally to my question...
    If there is no P in the system...does that mean I was never looked at? And has anyone ever written a remedial package?
    Thanks
    Sgt M

If things haven't changed, you have been assigned a "monitor" who should keep your records up-to-date in HQMC. Thank goodness I had a good one. I just went about my day to day business. One day this SGT came in all upset and getting on my case because he got passed over (he had 10 years in) and claimed that I made it. I told him I wasn't even in the promotion zone so I didn't know what he was talking about. Turned out that I was selected from the "below zone". Amazing considering I had gone UNQUAL on the rifle range that year. I was still sort of in the dark about how things were actually done, but my monitor kept it straight for me. I ended up getting assigned to joint service duty. Seems you have to have some sort of special duty, like the drill field, recruiting, or joint service, to get promoted to E7 and above. I had never thought of it, but my monitor made sure I had everything I needed and I got all the right orders whether I wanted them or not. When I arrived in Stuttgart, Germany, my admin chief said, "Congratulations, you will make
    Gunny before you leave here provided you don't mess up." I asked him what he was talking about and he explained the system to me. Ended up making Gunny in 10 years 9 months and 2 weeks all because my monitor took good care of me.

I would suggest you find out who your monitor is and make good friends with him...call him several times a year, and make some of the calls are just friendly calls. (S)He is the one that will get you the right assignments and the right schools.

If things have changed, find out what the system is and play it. You are not alone in this promotion/assignment game.

I'm thinking that if that information is missing then you have a shot at the Remedial board. Your Admin dropped the ball (no surprise, alas) and that is something that should have been caught LONG ago during the yearly SRB/records review. ANYway, first you need to talk to your S-1 shop. Go in PERSON, not via email or other comms. Explain the situation, and also explain that you need to see about the remedial board.

If they don't provide satisfactory assistance, next stop, First Sergeant. From there, SgtMaj.

In the end, you may STILL get "Try next time". At least then, though, you'll know.

Last bit, while I do blame admin, you also have to take a hit here. Your responsibility for YOUR MOL/SRB/records/Fitreps etc. Only YOU care about 'your' stuff, (in reality) and know what is right and what isn't. Hard lesson learned, but one that'll last a lifetime.

Good luck!

It seems that my AFADBD dropped off between the 26th of Dec and when the board conviened Jan 16th...So I'll take some blame for not noticing it but the "Due Dilligance" you're talking about is also outlined in the promotion manual. However, this is not my fault that they knocked one of my ducks down after they were all in a row.

Thread Information