MCAS Beaufort
Create Post

Thread: MCAS Beaufort

MCAS Beaufort

Hey Marines,
    Just got Orders too MCAS Beaufort. Im just trying to find anything out about what its like. Like the conditions of the Barracks, Chow Hall, the situation there with cable tv and internet? and anything thats fun to do around the area? Any information is appericated thanks and Semper Fi

beautfile beaufrot just a stonethrow from your birth place of MCRD PI what more can you say about the place last time i was in the town was for grandsons grad from PI first time at the air stationed was back in 53 when i was stationed at PI things have really changes since then beleive it or not they have cable tv an intenet movies an even a club the town has more than doulded in size since the 50s an savana ga is a easy drive for weekend or for that matter a nite out summer time MBeach isnt to far and lost of college girls go there on spring break

Credits
    Savings

Old gunny...............

Were you ever a "hat" ?

Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    Were you ever a "hat" ?
    Oh yes he was,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Oh yes he was,Semper Fidelis.
    I think I have the wrong Gunny, Semper Fidelis.

I was at MCAS Beaufort in 1975/1976 MAG-31. I lived in the new barracks (white) at the time. Almost across from the PX & EM Club. It was all good. Not much to do in Beaufort. A lot of old history there. Some old Civil War bunkers along the coast and some beautiful mansions. I spent a lot of time at the P.I. EM Club. Going to Savannah was always good. In Googling the base, I can see that a lot has changed since my time there.

I was there 79-81. Barracks was new (then), facilities like PX and club were first class. Of base was not much there, but Hilton Head Island is close (fabulous night life and beaches), Savannah and Charleston are also one hour drive. Great place to raise children.

Semper Fi, Tom

I was there in the 80's and until 91. I loved the base and the area. Much has changed even since my time. Savannah Ga and Charleston SC are the two nearest, biggest cities. Then of course there is Hilton Head.

Beaufort used to be a nice little backwater place, I understand now it's over run with yuppie types and gotten much more 'modern'.

Much to do even in town. Best suggestion is to explore. Start with 'google', then try looking for the tourism department. Beaufort Gazette is the local newspaper, another good place to start.

never a hat just 3 tours in supply

If you're willing to drive a bit, Charleston is a really fun town.

Loved it there I was with mwsg town was really nice people were really nice slow paced just get out and explore.

91-94

I was there from 91-94 and lived in the white barracks. They built new barracks in between the PX and the old white barracks. They were really nice with real apartment rooms exiting to the outside with there own head.

The chow hall was good for breakfast but the dinners sucked. I think I never had a fully cooked potato for three years.

PX was small but adequate. The gym was close by the barracks which was nice.

Invest in Skin So Soft becuase the skeeters are just as you remembered from PI. If you look close, they all have tail numbers. Its also more muggy than PI IMHO becuase of it being more inland.

They built a new ATC tower in 94.

Best part of MCAs Beaufort was the local history and the closeness to Savanna and Charleston. I love these towns.

Awh! Beautiful Beaufort by the sea. It is a great place for many. I was there from 1970 to 1973 after Nam. It was nice and quiet, just what I needed. I lived in Laural Bay housing. If you like hunting and fishing, you are at the right place. If all you want to do is the club scene, you will have to travel. As said previously, Savanna is down the road to the south and Charleston is to the north. If you are a young stud looking for girls, the beaches are not far away. I know the base itself has changed a lot since my day, but so has the entire area. Hilton Head is just down the road so what was once a backwater area now attracts a lot of tourists. When I was there, Beaufort was so remote that it was the only base where dependents could get dental care because it was too far away to the next town to visit a dentist! I am sure that has changed with the improvements roads and transportation. There is or use to be a Naval Hospital there so getting good medical care was no problem.

Credits
    Savings
    Was there 71 prior to Nam and had a time. Got throwed in jail after I accidently outran two South Carolina Highway Patrolman. Was locked up in the jail but shipped to Nam and Judge threw my charges out. Marine got his throat cut in a bar by a shrimper that was messing with the Marines wife and got him to the Naval Hospital in time before he bled out. My poor white car was blood red down the side and so was my partner who held the bar towel to his throat and caught the blood as it gushed out in the back seat. Buddy got whiskey bottle broken over his head when we went to pick up two girls strippers from the carney that came through town. Had to fight the carney guys to get to my car - thank GOD I was trained as a Marine and knew how to fight!!! Had great enlisted club with good bands,food etc. There were plenty of bars to drink at - most run by retired Marines and they watched out for you. The Marine Corps Birthday there was free draft beer. Great years of my life in the MARINES and I am glad the Lord watches out after idoits like me during war and liberty. Chow was good but the potatoes were raw - I guess it was a natural condition. Good luck and be careful and enjoy your life as a Marine!!!!!!

Thread Information