Prior Service at Boot Camp
Create Post

Prior Service at Boot Camp

Hello Marines!

A little introduction, and also a hope that I have completed everything the rules say I must before posting. I am a 25 year old student who has recently ETSd from the Army after eight years of service, earned the grade of Staff Sergeant, two deployments to Korea, and a deployment to Afghanistan. All of these deployments were as a 35M (HUMINT Collector in case you have questions about it).

I got out of the Army because there was really no way for me to go back active duty after being on reserve status in my MOS and grade. I am 100% set on becoming a Marine, and joining the most bad A brotherhood in the world. I have served with many Marines in my time and I have looked up to each and every one of them with pride and admiration. I want to be the best, so why not become the best? The only way there is to become a Marine, right? I'm pretty much waiting on my discharge orders from the Army so I can take it to my Marine recruiter, select an MOS, and get a ship date.

Here is the crux of my question and part of my reason for coming to you Marines today. How many of you Marines were in boot camp and/or your MOS training with someone who was prior service? What were your thoughts on how they performed the tasks given to you, how they were as people, their experiences and how they helped or hindered you?

I honestly expect to be held to a higher standard when in boot camp because of my service, and believe me, I will thrive on it. However, that time will come when it comes. I have no doubt I will be able to join and no doubt I will do well.

Well, I suppose that is really all I came here for. Feel free to ask me questions, tell me if I made any mistakes, or any other feedback you wish to provide.

Much love, Brothers and Sisters.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
    How many of you Marines were in boot camp and/or your MOS training with someone who was prior service?
    First off, thanks for your service, and thanks for the kind words about my brothers and sisters -- and the Corps overall. To your question -- I went to bootcamp with two prior service folks. One prior AF the other was Army -- honestly the Army guy was a load of poop, thought he knew everything already (bad idea at bootcamp, especially) and basically sucked tail pipe. The Air Force dude was humble and locked on tight -- ended up finishing as a squad leader. I would run into him a few years later on Oki and he was picking up rank meritoriously and leading Marines like the leader he was. The cream ALWAYS rises to the top, and leaders will always find ways to lead and get the job done. I don't know what happened to the Army guy, but my guess is he didn't do well in the fleet, but I could be wrong. Maybe the beatings our DI's (and squad leaders :) gave him sunk in. It has nothing to do with the branch they came from. It has everything to do with the mindset the came with. Be humble, listen, lead as you should being older/experienced, and it will all work out. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    It has nothing to do with the branch they came from. It has everything to do with the mindset the came with.

Be humble, listen, lead as you should being older/experienced, and it will all work out.

Good luck
    I will never have ANYTHING bad to say about any of my Brothers-in-Arms. I feel inclined to apologize for not thanking all of you for your service. I know that is a flaw of mine I need to fix. So with that, thank all of you for your service!

I agree with your comment about mindset 100%. It's definitely the path I will take. When you realize you DON'T know everything, it opens your mind to what you CAN know.

It's sad to see your Army prior was that way. It really is. Let's just hope your DIs beat him hard enough to knock the cockiness out of him.

May I ask where you went? I'm fairly sure I'll end up at MCRDSD since I'm in Utah.

Again, much love to you all, Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post

May I ask where you went?
    Parris Island, of course. Where Marines are made.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Will do, and thanks again.

I had former Army guys in both boot camp and SOI. You'll be expected to have some sort of leadership skills, and to be held to a higher standard, so if your DIs know expect them to expect you to step up and be guide or squad leader for sure, since the rest of your platoon is going to be a mix of weight heads, call of duty gamers, etc. and depending on your DIs, you MAY get alot of **** for it, though my instructors never once gave our guys **** for it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

now, now,, don't start no sh,, and there won't be no it,,,lol

Quote Originally Posted by wilsontc11 View Post
    I had former Army guys in both boot camp and SOI. You'll be expected to have some sort of leadership skills, and to be held to a higher standard, so if your DIs know expect them to expect you to step up and be guide or squad leader for sure, since the rest of your platoon is going to be a mix of weight heads, call of duty gamers, etc. and depending on your DIs, you MAY get alot of **** for it, though my instructors never once gave our guys **** for it.
    Thanks for the insight. I do want to step up and be a leader. I mean, for the last few years I have been a squad leader and have filled in for our Detachment Sergeant.

I figure if I'm prepared for getting crap over it, then whether it happens or not doesn't matter. I'm prepared.

I went to mos school with a prior Army E4. Nothing but good qualities from him. However im willing to bet that came from his upbringing rather then his time inservice. It all depends on your outlook, and your mentality. I will say this.I don't know how anyone could go from being at the rank of ssgt, back to an e2. If you have the mindset for that then more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
    I don't know how anyone could go from being at the rank of ssgt, back to an e2. If you have the mindset for that then more power to you.
    I don't disagree with your sentiments at all, Marine.

As far as the quoted text, sacrifices have to be made if you really want something. I'm willing to start over to be the best I can be.

Thanks for the reply.

I went to MOS school with a Marine that was prior service in the Army (8 years 2 deployments). He was held to a higher standard, but he was more than ready for it. In bootcamp he held a squad leader billet the whole time, at MCT he was the guide, and at school he was the class commander. He did set the example for our class and knew his place well. Every other Marine had respect for him (mostly because he was a combat experienced Marine). Overall, awesome guy.

Thread Information