Schools for an 0861
Create Post

Schools for an 0861

I haven't been on in a while so I apologize in advance for posting multiple questions. I'm swearing in next Wednesday and finding out when I leave for Boot. Depending on that date I am either going to choose my job field now or later. I've been highly considering an artillery contract and I'm pretty interested in becoming an 0861. But my ASVAB scores are so high I'm kinda worried that I might get put into a less appealing MOS (don't get me wrong I'm sure they probably all have their ups and downs, but being a meteorological man just isn't for me.)
    That's not part of my question I just figured some of you Marines may have some input. Now: I've been researching the requirements for the forward observer MOS and I'm aware that they have two required schools to attend. but I've also heard they can get into jump, air assault, and even ranger school somehow. (Something to do with the ANGLICO units I believe). My question is how would it be possible for this too happen and what are the chances of getting sent to any schools beyond those required. Sorry for not getting right to the point, and thank you for any helpful reply Marines.

You are putting the cart before the horse. And there are a lot of what ifs to your question. And that's why I'm tempted to close this thread, but lets see what happens.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm still trying to digest air assault and rangers????????

@ TheWookie : I know I'm looking a little bit into the future but prior proper planning prevents **** poor performance. I'm trying to make an educated decision on which MOS field I'm going to choose based on a few things. Call me cocky, but I have confidence in my self that unless something goes completely wrong that I will graduate Boot Camp. I know it's going to be difficult but I have no doubt in myself.

@ Chuck : It's just what I've heard, which is why I'm trying to verify if it's true.

@ MOS4429 :The question is stated at the end of my post "My question is how would it be possible for this too happen and what are the chances of getting sent to any schools beyond those required. Sorry for not getting right to the point, and thank you for any helpful reply Marines." Sorry I didn't make it to the point Staff Sgt, I should have been more clear.

Anyone that wants to answer the question, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Marines

Quote Originally Posted by Bornagain View Post
    Anyone that wants to answer the question, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Marines
    I think the issue is you are looking for a black and white answer to a question that is not black and white. There are MANY variables. It isn't a question of wanting to answer you, it is more of what you might be told might not be the right answer.

Who goes to what schools is determined by things that are often times out of your control.

There is nothing wrong with trying to plan your future, but don't expect the results to be liked you planned.

It's why we say, Semper gumby - always flexible.

Good luck, maybe somebody will come along to help, but don't hold your breath on this one.

I agree with The Wookie on this one, BornAgain. There are too many variables - at least for me to articulate a question. It may be better if you asked this of your recruiter.

I can say this: In some MOS's, you first go to the basic MOS school. From that, some Marines who did well in the school, top 5% or 10% may be selected to go on to a more advanced school and the same thing occur there.

Thank you for the reply. That was actually pretty helpful.

Thread Information