Leatherneck 1975
Create Post

Leatherneck 1975

Looking through an old Leatherneck magazine,July 1975.
    In 1965,at the age of 20 Lance Corporal O'Donnell was one of 14 lance corporals approved by the Commandant of the Marine Corps to serve as a DI because of serious personnel shortages to use younger men,Semper Fidelis.

Ive seen pictures of Pfc DI'S. Why not. Im going to get hit with danger close on this one but who has a drill field mindset better than a Marine who just spent 13 weeks living it. (Before you put you put your front sight tip on my head lets use common sense, obviously nothing beats a DI School trained Marine, but after that???)

All Drill Instructors attend Drill Instructor School.

My Drill Instructors were as follows:

Buck Sgt. Montgomery
    Cpl. (E-3) Morrison
    Pfc. Pallot

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    All Drill Instructors attend Drill Instructor School.

My Drill Instructors were as follows:

Buck Sgt. Montgomery
    Cpl. (E-3) Morrison
    Pfc. Pallot
    Even back then? Good to go! Thanks for the post! I was simply saying you would think someone fresh off the grinder would have a pretty good mind set for the drill field. We certainly see plenty of wannabe's on you tube.

S/F
    Dunivan

back then a PFC may have been in for over a year I think. Am I right Gunny ( Old Marine)

Saw a few Pfc's with a hash mark to match their chevron. I ran into my Pfc. Drill Instructor in Ascom City. He was still a Pfc and I was a Cpl. Go figure.

I would say Drill Instructor school would be more intense than the boot camp we went through,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Looking through an old Leatherneck magazine,July 1975.
    In 1965,at the age of 20 Lance Corporal O'Donnell was one of 14 lance corporals approved by the Commandant of the Marine Corps to serve as a DI because of serious personnel shortages to use younger men,Semper Fidelis.
    By 1969 this same Marine made SSgt and was SDI at PI, he later took on a job usually held by captain-that of coordinating the over all training of recruits in his battalion and was meritoriously promoted to Gunny and awarded the Navy Achievement Medal after that tour of duty,Semper Fidelis.

In 65, there were many pfcs with hash marks.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    Never seen that in my time, was rank hard to get? Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    Prolly

the reason why I was a Sgt. for ten years.

Thread Information