CI/HUMINT 0211 - your experiences
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

CI/HUMINT 0211 - your experiences

I have been out of the Marine Corps for 4 years now pursuing my bachelor's in International Affairs and Russian language, and I have decided to reenlist rather than commission or go Federal. I want to reenlist into CI/HUMINT and one of the 0211 recruiters is quite interested in bringing me onboard, especially because of my college and language experience. Anyway, my situation is strange because it is normally a lat-move only MOS and I will be returning to active duty from 4 years away. I will be submitting a package and attending a board as a civilian (awkward...).

My question is to 0211s or those who have worked closely with 0211s: could any of you share some of your experiences, places deployed, hardships, and general information about this MOS? I am really looking to see if it is worth reenlisting instead of commissioning and I want to hear from those who are in the field. I really want to know how much of it is field-based and what kind of "high-speed" opportunities there are. I already went to SERE, however. If any of it is too sensitive for an open forum feel free to send me a PM or something. Any info would be great!

You know the old saying...."I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to ......" I was not 0211 but as a 2621 I had to sign what amounted to a 50-year gag order when I EAS'd. I'm sure there is plenty of info you can get about the field without anyone spilling any beans, though. As for your education and language skills being useful to the Corps, they will be put to better use as enlisted, where you actually DO the field work, rather than being behind a desk and having the field report to you. Just my humble opinion.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    You know the old saying...."I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to ......" I was not 0211 but as a 2621 I had to sign what amounted to a 50-year gag order when I EAS'd.
    You got that right Brother 2621/2531

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    As for your education and language skills being useful to the Corps, they will be put to better use as enlisted, where you actually DO the field work, rather than being behind a desk and having the field report to you. Just my humble opinion.
    That is precisely why I am reenlisting rather than commissioning. I want the field work.

Anyone else have ANY info? I don't care about specific missions or detailed info, I just want to know a general overview of what you do while deployed as an 0211. What types of units attached to, do you actually go on the security or reconnaissance patrols or do you just interrogate and analyze what the grunts bring back to you?

your intel. your most likely going to sit inside the wire.

Hello new to the site, I was a 0231 after being a Grunt for a while, I talked with a few CI/HI guys when we would play "games" in the big room at Pendleton, they were some intresting cats, but then again everyone in the Intel Field is a shady character...lol. Honestly I can not tell you exactly what they do, but I have heard stories of them going out with Recon Plts, sometimes Grunt units and will patrol with them. They also get a chance to go to Jump School, SERE School, the Presido (could expand your Russian), etc. Overall a Fun MOS, but since I was prior Infantry, at the time I wasnt allowed to LAT move again but by the time I could I got out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Come on, throw me a bone here

Ain't gonna happen. Sorry, don't take it personal, but NO one with the working knowledge is going to 'spill' on an open forum. Your best bet is to contact your local CI office direct, and in person. Even then, what you'll get will be sanitized.

Even amongst those of us who have HAD the highest clearances you can get (and there are more than a few of us here) we don't discuss it, in public, or in PM's. One thing that was always drilled into us, day after day, was 'need to know'. Unless you were working WITH your fellow Marine on whatever project it was, you didn't discuss it. Period. Even from the same shop. And for DAMN sure, never, ever, outside the shop/SCIF.

Need to know...the pat answer was "That information is on a need to know basis, and with all due respect, sir, you don't need to know." Usually that was enough, but other times it only got you into hot water with the wrong sort of individual....ahhh, the good old days. LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm just looking for a job description holy crap! The CIA core collector duties are completely unclassified and we generally know what they do. What does CI/HUMINT generally do? That's it. The mos description is vague. Something like "I was attached to a grunt unit and went into towns to talk to or seek out informants," that is in no way in breach of opsec.

That's what they do, in a very small nutshell.

Thread Information