My son has joined the Marines! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks everyone! Yes, I am extremely proud of him. He came back from MEPS this afternoon, and is now officially in the DEP. He was initially looking to become an MP or Corrections officer, as that is what he wants to do on the other side of his enlistment, but after taking the ASVAB at MEPS he wants to look into other options. He didn't think he would do too well, based on the practice test he took. He rocked the ASVAB today, and got a 76 AFQT, which opens the door for more fields that he wants to look into. After clearing that hurdle, he can see a lot more possibilities for himself in the Corps. I don't pretend to understand what the scores mean, but his recruiter told him he did really well. I'm proud as heck of him. I told him that I will never have a million bucks to leave him, or a fancy house and cars, but the one legacy I can give him is the Corps. He is really looking forward to getting on with it. I, of course, am looking forward to teaching him everything I think might be useful to him in boot camp and beyond. If anyone knows what any of these mean, here are his line scores...
    MM-116 GT-120 EL-116 CL-115 and AFQT-76
    I can't wait to see what MOS he goes for. He has my full support, no matter what he chooses to do. Thanks again, Marines, for all of the support and encouragement throughout the process of getting him on board. Semper Fidelis.

Nothing compares to becoming a Marine Parent......except maybe the day they were born. Best wishes to him, you and your family.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    His only reason for not going Marine right out the gate was because he says he is not a strong swimmer and Marines are amphibious. He was afraid he would get DQ'd for being a weak swimmer. After getting a lot of help and encouragement in here, and talking with the recruiter, he signed on the dotted line on his 2nd visit to the recruiter. So, as it turns out, he wanted to go Marine the entire time.
    Week swimmer!!! Should have seen my face when they told us to go to the deep end and jump off the 20' platform! I had never been in water over my head before. One of my favorite boot stories to tell...

Congratulations YLDNDN6 to you and your son,
    he made a GREAT CHOICE!

Gung Ho,

Ray

Credits
    Savings
    Congradulations and I wish you brothers a long happy life to tell your war stories.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am also the Dad of a new recruit. Reported to PI a week and a half ago. I really never expected it of him. I did a full 20 (4 as USAF dog handler during 'Nam and then 17 in the Army during Desert Storm). I have to admit I was a scrawny little kid (5'7" and 125#) so probably would have never made it in the Marines.
    I am proud of his decision and fully support him. I have the utmost respect for all who are members of the Armed Forces.
    I am looking forward to his graduation on Sept 21 (if nothing holds him back). He had high line scores and 96 AFQT.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCHimes View Post
    I am also the Dad of a new recruit. Reported to PI a week and a half ago. I really never expected it of him. I did a full 20 (4 as USAF dog handler during 'Nam and then 17 in the Army during Desert Storm). I have to admit I was a scrawny little kid (5'7" and 125#) so probably would have never made it in the Marines.
    I am proud of his decision and fully support him. I have the utmost respect for all who are members of the Armed Forces.
    I am looking forward to his graduation on Sept 21 (if nothing holds him back). He had high line scores and 96 AFQT.
    Go to www.recruitparents.com. Lots of excellent info about bootcamp including a training matrix which will give you a good idea of what your son's platoon is doing. There are forums where you can communicate with other parents of his platoon as well. Important info about family day and graduation including schedule of events plus "do's and dont's" while at PI. Members of that website (it's free) get discounts from hotels in Beaufort

Congratulations SFCHimes to you and your son...thank you both for your service to our country.

Gung Ho,

Ray

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Got our first letter from him today. He's been selected as a squad leader for his platoon.
    Sounds like he is off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCHimes View Post
    Got our first letter from him today. He's been selected as a squad leader for his platoon.
    Sounds like he is off to a good start.
    Mail call already...Congratulations to your son SFChimes.

Gung Ho,

Ray

Great news and congrats! The only thing that made me more proud than receiving my Eagle, Globe and Anchor from my Drill Instructor was when my Grandmother gave me my Grandfather's Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

Thread Information