Physical Conditioning Platoon?
Create Post

Physical Conditioning Platoon?

I'm scheduled to ship on May 7th but I'm having trouble getting my run time down. My latest IST was 4 pull-ups, 80 crunches, and a 1.5 in 15:14. My first was a 16:40 run but I'm still having trouble getting my time down. From what I've read online it seems that PCP is for the fat guys and those that fail the entire IST. Would I still be sent to PCP even though I pass the other two requirements?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrrollins View Post
    I'm scheduled to ship on May 7th but I'm having trouble getting my run time down. My latest IST was 4 pull-ups, 80 crunches, and a 1.5 in 15:14. My first was a 16:40 run but I'm still having trouble getting my time down. From what I've read online it seems that PCP is for the fat guys and those that fail the entire IST. Would I still be sent to PCP even though I pass the other two requirements?
    Instead of planning for failure, why not plan for success and pass all three events?

PM MOS4429. He is a running coach and he can probably give you a few tips.

From where I sit, you have to run more and push yourself to go further and faster. You have plenty of time to improve before shipping if you apply yourself.

The pcp is for those that fail the initial strength at recruit training.. But if you fail any event you fail the whole thin it isnt you passed a portion so you only have to pass this one thing it's all or nothing. Mission accomplishment in the Marine Corps is paramount.

Last edited by ChuckH; 03-02-12 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Second half of post not helpful.

The more you run, the better and faster you get. Here are some tips that my son uses for cross country races which he has learned from a nationaly ranked program/coach.

1. Upon starting, go as fast as you can for as long as you can. I'm not talking all out sprinting, but faster than your "kick" speed. Your body has (for lack of a better description) some rocket fuel that it will use. BUT, if you don't use it up at the start, it will not be available at any other point of your run.

2. Focus on passing the person directly in front of you and when you pass them, focus on the next person.

3. If they let you know where the 1/2 way point is, start picking up the pace there. Do not wait until you can see the finish line.

4. When you do see the finish line, haul @$$. If you don't puke, you didn't give it absolutely everything.

Been out of the PFT loop for a while. Is the run portion shorter now? I seem to remember it being 3 miles and if so this guy should be training at more than 1.5 miles. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by gungygreen View Post
    Been out of the PFT loop for a while. Is the run portion shorter now? I seem to remember it being 3 miles and if so this guy should be training at more than 1.5 miles. Just curious.
    PFT is still 3 miles
    IST is 1.5 miles

jrrollins - how much are you running now? How far? How often / how many days a week?

You DO NOT want to fail the IST and go to PCP -- not a good way to start. No reason to -- you have two solid months to get in shape - plenty of time - if you get out there and do it. Just think how good a shape you'll be in after two months of boot camp.

No excuses.

Thread Information