Dominican Republic Crisis - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dominican Republic Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by devildog21345 View Post
    I was in the Dom Rep. was with arty we were the first troops ashore

Devil Dog, you got it wrong. I was with H&S Co. 3/6 our BLT was the first ashore. The 6th Marines made history that night. We were the first to land under fire at night by helo. O course during the Viet Nam War this happened all the time. But we were the first.

7May1965 landed at Chu-lay off of the USS Princeton. Was the first arty unit lifted by helicopter in one complete lift in combat conditions. Whiskey 3/12 first Marine Brigade.

Hello Martin. I don't remember your father but perhaps another Marine who was there will. Many men who were in combat situations never want to talk about them after the fact. Hopefully some day you and your father might get a little more close and he will tell you about some of his Marine Corps Experiences. Perhaps you can mention this site - **************** - to him and have him check it out in general, and in particular, this thread regarding the Dominican Republic. Semper Fi!!!

It's nice to know there are still some of us that do remember the Dominican Republic. I was with H&S, 3-6. We were taken in by chopper from the USS Boxer. We made Corps history that night, as being the first marine unit to land under fire by chopper. Of course during Viet Nam it was done all the time, but we were the first.
    Nick Valdez

Quote Originally Posted by runningbrave View Post
    I do remember being there with 1/8. We were some of the first Marines ashore and took 9 KIA before we even drew live ammo!

I doubt this is true.

I know we had trouble passing out ammo in Beirut back in the early 1980's.

But back in 1965?

DomRep

Quote Originally Posted by GerryD View Post
    Does anyone recall the Dominican Republic Crisis? It seems that whenever I mention this on one seems to recall it.

GerryD.
    Sure do remember this. I was down there with the 10th Marines.

Sorry Ron Havent Heard Of It Until Now. Godbless You Ron And All The Veterans Of The Dominican Crisis And Thankyou For A Job Well Done!

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Curious timing for this thread to reactivate: yesterday afternoon pop's asked if i would drive him to the airport at 2100. Sure i say's, where you going?

Santo Domingo.

WTF! Dominican Republic?

Yes, 83F and humid

Ok have fun....

Quote Originally Posted by GerryD View Post
    Does anyone recall the Dominican Republic Crisis? It seems that whenever I mention this on one seems to recall it.

GerryD.
    Yes I was there with A Co 1st Bn 8th Mar. Richard B. Woodard

Nick, I was in the same Company at the Same time, good to see you on here, I just signed up today, saw a Picture of one of my youngest Daughter's friends standing on the Deck of the USS Boxer and started the "remember when thing"

Praise God, someone remembers! I was there arriving on the USS LaSalle. (Spelling unsure. Been a long time ago) ACo.1stbn.2nd.Marines2nd.Mar.Div. I'm telling you it feels good! 'Nam vets complain about not being respected or remembered. This is the first time I can recall being mentioned to protect Santo Domingo. YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Valdez View Post
    Devil Dog, you got it wrong. I was with H&S Co. 3/6 our BLT was the first ashore. The 6th Marines made history that night. We were the first to land under fire at night by helo. O course during the Viet Nam War this happened all the time. But we were the first.
    Nick, I'm with you, was also in H&S Co, 3/6 aboard the Boxer, sent in at night, landed at the Polo Grounds, 3/6 had 7 KIA as a result of the operation, 3.5 months later was with the first ship board waive of Marines to land in Da Nang (p boats), issued 38s and shotguns, only weapons there for 1st week, filled sand bags and lived in tents at Da Nang Airbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Valdez View Post
    It's nice to know there are still some of us that do remember the Dominican Republic. I was with H&S, 3-6. We were taken in by chopper from the USS Boxer. We made Corps history that night, as being the first marine unit to land under fire by chopper. Of course during Viet Nam it was done all the time, but we were the first.
    Nick Valdez
    this should have appeared under my sign in, sorry for the mix up, dmetier

I know this is an old thread. My father was sent there with the State Department for months. We were living in Mexico City where my father was stationed with the SD. I was 3 in 1965. He told me later he was sniped at when he got off a helicopter, was bunker ed up with the Marines. Said he had a Marine that was shot in the eye, lost an eye there. Mentioned taking an aircraft carrier from Puerto Rico and helo'd over there to Santo Domingo. Forgot exactly how long he was there. He also mentioned that they stold a couple of cases of beer from a helicopter. Said there was a window that was secured, and anytime he knocked at this teller window all he could see was hands, to accept documents and all that. He knocked on the window, placed some beers there and all he could see were hands grabbing the beers and closing back the window slide.

Quote Originally Posted by dmetier View Post
    Nick, I'm with you, was also in H&S Co, 3/6 aboard the Boxer, sent in at night, landed at the Polo Grounds, 3/6 had 7 KIA as a result of the operation, 3.5 months later was with the first ship board waive of Marines to land in Da Nang (p boats), issued 38s and shotguns, only weapons there for 1st week, filled sand bags and lived in tents at Da Nang Airbase.
    My father mentioned he was on a carrier, now that you mention the BOXER, I wonder if this was the "Aircraft carrier"., though I know its more of an Amphibian Assault Ship that very much looks like a carrier. I have no way of verifying this now, since old man is deceased. But it makes sense. He most likely was on the Boxer or one like it.

Thread Information