*ahem* RockSteady85 has returned!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

*ahem* RockSteady85 has returned!

I read all of these replies to what happened to me on PI and I am really so touched! Seriously more than half of my letters that I got on the Island were from you all here on Leatherneck, and I could not say how much I appreciate it because it would never equal to how I really feel. You all really kept me going when things looked down and bleak, and that means a lot, esp. on that Island! I just got back literally an hour ago. I had my bus drop me in midtown Manhattan so I could get some quality time with NYC with my boot camp buddy, Santos. I have so much to tell all of you! I had to jump on here and let you know that I am back Like I said, I have so much to say, but I don't want to make people gouge their eyes out, so ask away if you have any questions at all.

I am actually really sad and depressed I left the Island - the most obvious reason being that I did not leave as a Marine. But I intend to alter that sometime in the near future (at least 6 months down the road, since I am home COG, not PEB...they give out PEB very scarcely now, due to some big incident that happened in FRP...more on that later...). I fought like all hell to stay, 4 times total, finally taking it to the Regimental Commander, Col. Solgere, and even having him say no just because of some other chick having kind of the same situation happen. Both my sports med doc and my ortho doc thought it was unfair to judge how I would do based upon the experience of someone else. I was going to go to FRP, then I was staying in FRSP...then I was going to FRP...ooooh, nope, sorry, still FRSP. But, over that whole time on the Island, I have never made so many close friends in my entire life, honestly. To prove this, I remember leaving for PI with only 33 addresses in my addy book; now, I have nearly 90 addresses from people all over the country, including some male recruits (save it! LOL) and even some DIs who must have thought I was fantastic for some odd reason or another. I had my 24 hour bus ride back from PI with the 7 other girls and 8 guys who were getting discharged and I honestly never had such a good time in my life on a road trip and I bonded with all them crazy people. They are my family. I already have plans to hang out with so many of them, and one other recruit and I are getting an apartment here in NJ and will be roomies. Parris Island, as much as people love to knock it, is also a beautiful place for less than blatantly obvious reasons. I WILL go back as a recruit, and MAKE it next time. Having the family I met there behind me already (and some whom plan to head back with me), and probably a whole new family to meet there whenever I hopefully can go, is such a motivator, it really is. To all those poolees out there reading this - don't be afraid of what Parris Island is going to do to you...embrace what it is going to do for you.

Good luck in the future, Rocksteady. You'll do great next time.

~fish

Wow all I can say is that you have a lot of heart. It takes a strong person to go through what you did and still want to go back for more! Stay motivated and go back to PI in the future.

Rock!!

I hope you get back to P.I. this summer. I want you to enjoy some of that SC heat with me!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Holly

I am not sure of all of the acronyms or what they mean maybe you can shed some light on what they are and what they mean? Also, I admire your heart it is a huge one and not many people can say that and mean it. Please keep us informaed as you did before you left. What you went through before you left for Parris Island and now this. You have my respect.

Good luck

Gunny out

Hell If your a Red Socks fan your number 1 in my book, Your a tough gal! Takes a lot of heart and commitment to keep on rolling on the path to becomeing a Marine. Good luck and welcome back!

You're an inspiration to all of us poolee's and wannabe's. Even though all that happened you still wanna go get some more. Very admirable.

One thing though: ... GO YANKEES.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's glad to hear that in the midst of all the disappointment you are staying positive and looking forward to go back. Rock on next time, you will definitely make it! Keep us posted, and good luck!

Holly!!!

Welcome back!! Don't worry about that...it happens! You ave the heart, strength and the will to become a Marine and if ANYBODY deserves it more than you...they're gonna have to prove it to me!! I know you'll go back and earnyour title...I have no doubt you will! I know you were busy writing to everyone!! That;s good motivation though isn't it?

Here's some more...You got the heart, girl, now take your time and heal up good and get your azz back down there and do what you were born to do!! I know you were meant to be a Marine...there's no stopping it!! All you gotta do is go get it!! SEMPER FI, HOLLY!!!

Stay motivated!

I wish I had the chance to write you while you were in PI.
    Hey no one from here wrote me when I was in boot, but that was my fault.
    If I could I'd go back to PI with you.

I'm with Gunny, I don't know what the fvck you're saying...all I can tell is you got discharged from bootcamp...because of some COG, PEB and also a FRP, WTF? lol.

I am slow, plz say what happend to you..btw you're a hotty, thats the only thing obvious to me, haha.

Okay, here is the dictionary of acronyms :-)

COG - Convenience of the Government. Basically for people who have medical issues that isn't seen as "valid" enough to give PEB status. I was COG because I had a past history with my knee, although something completely different happened to it.

PEB - Physical Evaluation Board. This is given to recruits who broke on the Island and either aren't getting better or never will. You are considered a "retired Marine", and get the pay and benefits as such with whatever rank you were. They are practically not giving this out really now because of something that happened in FRP where two girls beat the p*ss out of another girl so she would break and get PEB status. Yes, she ASKED for that. Long story.

FRP - Female Readiness Platoon. For the ladies who are broken or couldn't pass their IST/PFT.

FRSP - Female Recruit Separation Platoon. The female counterpart of the male RSP of those who are getting sent home.

And THANK YOU to everyone who has supported me before, during, and after my time on the Island. It really bothers me that I got sent home prematurely, you have no idea. I am itching to go back. I already have the date that my 6 month-mark is that I can go try to re-enlist - 20th August. That's a date I am not going to forget - I will forget my own birthday before that one LOL.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Holly

August 2oth got it. I am not much of a chearleader but I have your back. LOL

Thanks for the dictionary of terms. This can be used as future references for the forum.

Gunny out

Holly, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSteady85 View Post
    I read all of these replies to what happened to me on PI and I am really so touched! Seriously more than half of my letters that I got on the Island were from you all here on Leatherneck, and I could not say how much I appreciate it because it would never equal to how I really feel. You all really kept me going when things looked down and bleak, and that means a lot, esp. on that Island! I just got back literally an hour ago. I had my bus drop me in midtown Manhattan so I could get some quality time with NYC with my boot camp buddy, Santos. I have so much to tell all of you! I had to jump on here and let you know that I am back Like I said, I have so much to say, but I don't want to make people gouge their eyes out, so ask away if you have any questions at all.

I am actually really sad and depressed I left the Island - the most obvious reason being that I did not leave as a Marine. But I intend to alter that sometime in the near future (at least 6 months down the road, since I am home COG, not PEB...they give out PEB very scarcely now, due to some big incident that happened in FRP...more on that later...). I fought like all hell to stay, 4 times total, finally taking it to the Regimental Commander, Col. Solgere, and even having him say no just because of some other chick having kind of the same situation happen. Both my sports med doc and my ortho doc thought it was unfair to judge how I would do based upon the experience of someone else. I was going to go to FRP, then I was staying in FRSP...then I was going to FRP...ooooh, nope, sorry, still FRSP. But, over that whole time on the Island, I have never made so many close friends in my entire life, honestly. To prove this, I remember leaving for PI with only 33 addresses in my addy book; now, I have nearly 90 addresses from people all over the country, including some male recruits (save it! LOL) and even some DIs who must have thought I was fantastic for some odd reason or another. I had my 24 hour bus ride back from PI with the 7 other girls and 8 guys who were getting discharged and I honestly never had such a good time in my life on a road trip and I bonded with all them crazy people. They are my family. I already have plans to hang out with so many of them, and one other recruit and I are getting an apartment here in NJ and will be roomies. Parris Island, as much as people love to knock it, is also a beautiful place for less than blatantly obvious reasons. I WILL go back as a recruit, and MAKE it next time. Having the family I met there behind me already (and some whom plan to head back with me), and probably a whole new family to meet there whenever I hopefully can go, is such a motivator, it really is. To all those poolees out there reading this - don't be afraid of what Parris Island is going to do to you...embrace what it is going to do for you.

GoodAfternoon Recruit :P
    My name was RCT Raggady Ann at Parris Island lol but my real name is Angela Blessard. I shipped to the island Jan. 3 and came home one month later-also without the title I went for.
    I was in the DEP for a year. At first I sucked at all the PT and knowledge and was quit the terrible poolee and really didnt know what i was getting myself into. My recruiter was so convinced that I had the heart to do this Marine thing, he convienced the rest of the RSS and me!

Anyway about halfway through my DEP time, my recruiter was transferred to another state. This was when I experienced my first tast of the USMC brother/sister-hood they all talk about. So here I was 6 months in..improving a LOT..and my recruiter is gone. Another recruiter Sgt.Sawyers and my SNCO Gunney Lewis stepped up to the plate and took me under their wings. I went for a couple months with no official "recruiter" but during this time I feel like I was lucky enought to taste a bit of the commrodory of the USMC. Sgt. Sawyers drove 2+ hours every other weekend to come PT with me in my home town and called, texted, did all that great stuff to keep me motivated. He really went above and beyond, going out of his way to help me. It was so awsome and knowing that these guys had no obligation to me but still showed me dedication...it made me "dig deep" and I really went for it. I also went to college while waiting for my ship date to come.

My SNCO called me all the time to see how things were going since I was so far away and couldnt meet with my RSS every week like I had been. Gunney Lewis became my friend as well as my RSS commanding officer. When times got tough or the stress of college and training began wearing me down, I would call him and he would always reassure me things were gonna work out. He pushed me and helped me find strength within me that I would have never known I had. My new recruiter came along and this and that. He was pretty cool but we didnt connect too well. He was a grunt marine and if you dont know any grunts...you wouldnt understand lol ! They are a breed of their own, even in the Marine Corps they are>.over the top.< But by the time I shipped we had also become pretty tight and he helped me by just giving me that extra push, sending me off to Parris Island ready to KiLl em!

Long story short. I made it to TD 11 and was sent to FRSP. I was discharged and it broke my heart. FRSP was a ****ty place to be as well, i felt like I was in an insane asylum everymorning, afternoon and evening. I missed Training and remember pressing my face against the windows in FRSP just staring at my platoon (4009) as they marched by and I could see them getting better day be day. I was so ****ed and bitter throughout the majority of my stay in FRSP which made it a HORRIFIC experience. Thank God Feb. is the month that all the important people come to the island to honor the female Marines so FRSP was mostly sent home, making my stay in FRSP only 12 days instead of the estimated 14-21 days! Your right about making good friends in FRSP though. The kids I meet and I have started a Facebook Group for RSP/FRSP and we still talk almost daily.

The point Im trying to make is, eventhought I didnt make it to become a Marine I am grateful for my experience in the DEP and my time on the Island. Marines are amazing people and they have my utmost respect so for all you out there...thanks Marines...

Last edited by Lisa 23; 02-15-12 at 11:52 AM. Reason: how about thanks Marines, not guys and gals.

Thread Information