Soon to be Spouse
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Red face Soon to be Spouse

My marine is in MOS and we had planned to get married for a while now. I am 27 years old and we have a 14 month old baby boy together. I moved to Boston MA when he left to Boot Camp. As we where planning our wedding, he asked his superior about the wedding and they gave him permission. My question or may I say worry is... I just started a job here in MA and he was told that if we were to marry that I would have to move to where ever he is sent when he graduates from his MOS school.
    Am I obligated by the Marines to move to the state or base he will be sent to? Or can I stay in Boston and we can meet up when ever we are able to?
    We are not getting married because of the allowance he will receive, although it would be helpful. At the moment I am earning more money than he is, so that is my main worry that I would have to loose my job (our main source of economy) to move to another state.
    Who ever can answer me I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The Marines can not make you move anywhere, although it may at times be more economical to move with him. If you are married he will recieve BAH. If he moves to a duty station and is able to have his family there he will rate BAH with dependents for that location. Now if you decide to not move there he can apply to live in geo-bach housing and the BAH can be used to cover your living expenses. My understanding is that he can not be promised geo-bach housing, therefore you might have two rents to cover with one BAH. As a side note, if you aren't married people here will take issue with you being registered as a spouse.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are not obligated to move with your future husband when you get married.
    You can live wherever you want.

BTW, a change of profile status to Marine Friend or even Marine Family since you have a Child together is in order.

Congrats and best of luck.

Last edited by Rocky C; 02-03-12 at 02:39 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlee View Post
    The Marines can not make you move anywhere, although it may at times be more economical to move with him. If you are married he will recieve BAH. If he moves to a duty station and is able to have his family there he will rate BAH with dependents for that location. Now if you decide to not move there he can apply to live in geo-bach housing and the BAH can be used to cover your living expenses. My understanding is that he can not be promised geo-bach housing, therefore you might have two rents to cover with one BAH. As a side note, if you aren't married people here will take issue with you being registered as a spouse.
    Thanks for the quick response, I looked for an option of fiancee or girlfriend but there was none, so I choosed spouse, thanks for the note.

I have notice of the double rent expense, but I guess it will still be more adequate that loosing one whole income.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    You are not obligated to move with your future husband when you get married.
    You can live wherever you want.

Congrats and best of luck.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

You should make a great Marine spouse since you are already independent (probably the most important character trait to survive a military marriage due to all the separations involved). We hear from so many young spouses on here who are not independent at all and struggle with being on their own.

Good luck (and, like already said, no you will not be forced to live together; the USMC is more concerned with stable marriages and if being in different locations for the time being is what it to takes to attain that then so be it).

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You should make a great Marine spouse since you are already independent (probably the most important character trait to survive a military marriage due to all the separations involved). We hear from so many young spouses on here who are not independent at all and struggle with being on their own.

Good luck (and, like already said, no you will not be forced to live together; the USMC is more concerned with stable marriages and if being in different locations for the time being is what it to takes to attain that then so be it).
    Wow! Thank you very much for your comment... I really ask God that he gives us the strength we.need to keep our marriage going. Thanks for the answer... we where a little worried!!!

I really ask God that he gives us the strength we.need to keep our marriage going.

As long as you keep God in your marriage, you should be fine. I've seen to many couples divorce because of that. Good luck to both of you.

Credits
    Savings

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by elliscraig12 View Post
    I really ask God that he gives us the strength we.need to keep our marriage going.

As long as you keep God in your marriage, you should be fine. I've seen to many couples divorce because of that. Good luck to both of you.
    We try... in occasions is difficult to keep involving God and.being faithful to Him... but we try. I do know that he.needs.to.strenghthen more his faith is God. But it.takes.times.

Thanks.to all

You all have encouraged me to stay strong. Very appreciated.

I don't know the job you have now, but if you're a spouse there are plenty of programs to get you a job ASAP as soon as you get to his duty station... and you could live with your husband.. and you can get him out of the barracks! As mentioned before, they can't MAKE you do anything... they can only say "well, this is beneficial for you to do this" and if you like it, you can do it.

best of luck to you and your husband,

LCpl Yonkers

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I hope you realize, that you can get free housing, hell make extra money a month to take care of you guys, he will food allowance, there are all kinds of benefits to moving around with your husband as he gets moved around! But you know exactly what's right for you and your family!

Thread Information