Marine Corps Officer Opportunities and Paths
Create Post

Marine Corps Officer Opportunities and Paths

Hello, I am a high school junior in Northern California who has been active in civic affairs since the tender age of ten, including stints at my local history museum, the Barack Obama Presidential Campaign of 2008, the Jon Huntsman Presidential Campaign of 2011, and, most recently, the Ron Paul Presidential Campaign of 2012.

In addition to my civic activism, I have spent much of the past seven years working on a research project based around the concept of leadership, for which I have conducted interviews with leaders in the fields of politics, business, and entertainment from nations throughout the world. I published the initial results of that project in an ebook released on Amazon a few weeks ago.

The reason I am writing is that as early as the summer of 2009, I have been interested in furthering my public service ambitions by serving my country in uniform in some capacity. That first summer, I spoke with the local Air Force Academy recruiter but the prospects of a career in the Air Force did not pique my interest sufficiently for me to maintain contact with the recruiting team for longer than a few conversations.

Then, two Marine recruiters came to my high school during the spring of 2011, and the information they provided combined with the posture with which they carried themselves and the fact that I had previously interviewed the Marine Corps Commandant General Amos made me think about the benefits of a career as a Marine Corps officer.

I would not want to become an enlisted man because it is a longtime goal of myself and my family for me to attend university and then pursue my professional life afterwards.

So, I was interested in finding out more about how someone such as myself, who has been involved in civic affairs since early youth, has spent much of life exploring the world around me, is of Middle Eastern descent and fluently speaks Persian, a language which the Afghans, the Pakistanis, the Tajiks, and a portion of Indian Muslims all speak variations of, can become a Marine Corps officer.

Please note that I am not certain on any path yet, other than the fact that the overwhelmingly preferred end result is a public service career particularly as an elected official, but am simply thoroughly exploring all the opportunities available to me.

Please advise. Many thanks.

One option that you might want to consider is the United States Naval Academy, from which Midshipmen can go on to pursue a career in either the Navy or the Marine Corps as commissioned officers. The Naval Academy is a prestigious institution which provides excellent preparation in leadership for both military careers and subsequent work in other fields or in government.

Alternatively, you can attend a more generic university and pursue a commission via the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps NROTC. Look and see which universities you are interested have NROTC units, or are part of an NROTC consortium (for example several universities in Boston, such as MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, and Boston University are part of a consortium and all candidates are technically part of the BU NROTC unit, though they attend various schools.)

You can contact the Marine Officer Instructor at the NROTC office of the university you are interested in, or search our the Marine Officer Recruiter in your local area for more information. Info on the Naval Academy can be found on their website.

Best of luck in your ambitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahabsta View Post
    the Barack Obama Presidential Campaign of 2008
    That's your first problem right there. Working for a horrible person like Obama's campaign.
    Working for political campaigns means nothing in the United States Military. You cannot even do that when and if you become Active Duty.

Anyway, besides that, best bet is do what Beltayn recommended, and apply to both the Naval Academy and NROTC and see what happens.

I would not want to become an enlisted man because it is a longtime goal of myself and my family for me to attend university and then pursue my professional life afterwards.
    ^ This here is by far one of the stupidest statements I have ever read on this forum. The way you have worded that statement implies to me that you seem to think Enlisted personel are beneath you or something to that effect. That attitude WILL NOT fly far in the Marine Corps or any other branch of the Armed Forces.

Oh and by the way, the Military is a professional career actually

Enlisted men and women are the backbone of the Military and who Commissioned Officers like me learn from. An Officer is nothing without the Enlisted personel to guide him as he leads. Enlisted personel are the ones who generally show boot Lieutenants the ropes during their first days, weeks, and even years in the Military, and they deserve our respect.

First of all becoming an "Enlisted man" as you put it is how a large majority of Commissioned Officers become Commissioned Officers in the US Military. They are called "Mustangs" and are Enlisted personel first before they apply for OCS.

Secondly, remember if you do not apply to Annapolis or NROTC or PLC (Platoon Leader's Course) like Beltayn and Burke suggested, you must apply for OCS if you still want to become an Officer after receiving at minimum a Bachelor's Degree, you must keep in mind that Current Enlisted Members of the Military always get priority over civilians coming from the outside world when it comes to applying for OCS. The process is a very time consuming and lengthy process.

As far as the Academy at Annapolis (and the other Federal Service Academies) the selection for that is even more strenuous and selective (Believe me, I know, I've been through it). NROTC or any other ROTC program is also very selective.

If you are junior in high school as you say you are, and you consider the Federal Service Academies, you need to start the application process now. As I said it is very lengthy and requires a nomination from your Congressman who represents where you live in Congress. Also, I don't know if you are athletic or not, but you must participate in some kind of sports if you attend the Naval Academy.

The Academy also in all honesty will not even care if you are involved in political campaigns. Because like Burke said, you are restricted and limited on how you can support and or endorse a candidate. As a member of the Armed Forces, you are required and expected to followed the orders of the Commander-in-Chief, regardless of whether you agree with them politically or whether or not you agree with their policies.

I also would include a copy of your supposed interview with General Amos with your application for OCS / ROTC / the Academy, etc. if I were you (If that supposed interview even took place that is. It might look better. I wouldn't think the General would have time to grant an interview to some high school Junior from some town in Northern California in all honesty, but that's just my opinion).

You also need to be in extremely good and top physical condition to be a Commissioned Officer as well.

Anyway if the Military isn't the right path for you, I would also recommend that you look into the Diplomatic Service. They are generally more political than the Military and your language skills would be of particular use to them.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and please, change your views of Enlisted personel. I guarantee you that you won't last in the Military if you think that Enlisted personel are beneath you.

Again, good luck in wherever your path may lead you.

Credits
    Savings
    Wow, a sir who knows what's up.

I think you should go into the AF to the original poster. Your attitude towards others seems like you would fit in with what experience I've had with fly boys.

I also would include a copy of your supposed interview with General Amos with your application for OCS / ROTC / the Academy, etc. if I were you (If that supposed interview even took place that is. It might look better. I wouldn't think the General would have time to grant an interview to some high school Junior from some town in Northern California in all honesty, but that's just my opinion).
    I also wondered about this.

Anyway if the Military isn't the right path for you, I would also recommend that you look into the Diplomatic Service. They are generally more political than the Military and your language skills would be of particular use to them.
    This is good advice. Look into taking the Foreign Service Entrance Exam.

In addition to my civic activism, I have spent much of the past seven years working on a research project based around the concept of leadership, for which I have conducted interviews with leaders in the fields of politics, business, and entertainment from nations throughout the world. I published the initial results of that project in an ebook released on Amazon a few weeks ago.
    What's the name of the book?

The reason I am writing is that as early as the summer of 2009, I have been interested in furthering my public service ambitions by serving my country in uniform in some capacity. That first summer, I spoke with the local Air Force Academy recruiter but the prospects of a career in the Air Force did not pique my interest sufficiently for me to maintain contact with the recruiting team for longer than a few conversations.
    According to your profile, you're currently 16 years old....and in 2009, that would've put you at the age of 13. I highly doubt a recruiter is going to speak to a 13 year old about joining the Air Force.

Then, two Marine recruiters came to my high school during the spring of 2011, and the information they provided combined with the posture with which they carried themselves and the fact that I had previously interviewed the Marine Corps Commandant General Amos made me think about the benefits of a career as a Marine Corps officer.
    When in 2011 did you interview with Marine Corps Commandant Gen Amos?

Clarification

First of all, I would like to apologize if it seemed I was putting down enlisted men, as that is not what I was aiming to do. I was simply saying that I would prefer to go down another path. Enlisted men are an inspiration to me and should be to all who value service.

As for the interview with General Amos, I had spoken with his PAO in January 2011 and was eventually told to provide a mailing address. Sure enough, I received a letter in the mail in due course.

I do not mean to advertise my book, but confirmation of much of what I have said can be found in it. It is titled My Interviews and is available in Kindle form on Amazon.

Finally, I had had only brief discussions with the Air Force Academy recruiter in the summer before my freshman year of high school to find out what I would need to do in high school to be able to attend the Air Force Academy.

I greatly appreciate all the advice you all have been so kind as to give to me and I just want to wrap up by saying a quick thank you.

Good to go

Congratulations on your interest to be a Marine Corps officer. Judging by the clarity of your post, you have very good writing skills and sense of language construction. You sound like a very intelligent young man and will do well regardless where you land. Language billet is in very high demand despite the military downsizing -- and will continue to be in demand in the foreseeable future. Good luck. Keep inquiring.

Just out of curiosity, Dari or Farsi?

@Beltayn I speak fluent Farsi, but Dari is very similar to Farsi.

Thread Information