Corps Celebrates 228th Anniversary
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Corps Celebrates 228th Anniversary

Corps Celebrates 228th Anniversary

Submitted by: MCB Camp Lejeune
    Story Identification Number: 20031149232
    Story by Lance Cpl. Andrew D. Pomykal

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.(Nov. 4, 2003) -- November 10, 1775: a date all U.S. Marines are familiar with. This year marks the Corps' 228th anniversary, and whether they're manning far-flung posts or accomplishing stateside duties, all Marines will find ways to celebrate.

Annually, Camp Lejeune hosts a public Joint Daytime Ceremony which includes a historical uniform pageant, a rededication of National and Marine Corps organizational colors, honor guard platoons and a traditional cake cutting ceremony. This year's event is scheduled for Nov. 6 at 9:30 a.m., at Liversedge Field.

The U.S. Marine Corps begins preparations for its "birthday party" every summer. Activities become more feverish as the fall hues arrive. By early November, every Marine is either rehearsing their role in the "party" or pressing, polishing, and spit-shining in order to appear at his best for the birthday ball. This has not always been the case, however. In fact, Marines have not always celebrated their founding on Nov. 10.

Formal commemoration of the birthday of the Marine Corps began Nov. 10, 1921. That particular date was chosen because on that day the Second Continental Congress resolved in 1775 to raise two battalions of Continental Marines.

Until 1921, the birthday of the Corps had been celebrated on another date. An unidentified newspaper clipping from 1918 refers to the celebration of the 120th birthday of the Marine Corps on July 11 "as usual with no fuss." It is doubtful that there was any real celebration at all. Further inspection of documents and publications prior to 1921 shows no evidence of ceremonies, pageants, or parties. The July date was commemorated between 1798 and 1921 as the birthday of the Corps. During the Revolution, Marines had fought on land and sea, but at the close of that conflict, the Corps and the Navy were all but disbanded. On July 11, 1798, President John Adams approved a bill that recreated the Corps, thereby providing the rationale for this day being commemorated as the birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps.

On Oct. 21, 1921, Maj. Edwin McClellan of the Corps' historical branch, sent a memorandum to then Commandant Maj. Gen. John A. Lejeune, suggesting that the original birthday on November 10, 1775 be declared a Marine Corps holiday to be celebrated throughout the Corps. McClellan further suggested that a dinner be held in Washington to commemorate the event. Guests would include prominent men from the Marine Corps, Army, and Navy, and descendants of the Revolution.

Accordingly, on Nov. 1, 1921, Lejeune issued Marine Corps Order No. 47, Series 1921. The order summarized the history, mission, and tradition of the Corps, and directed that it be read to every command on Nov. 10 each subsequent year in honor of the birthday of the Marine Corps. This order has been duly carried out.

Some commands expanded the celebration during the next few years. In 1923 at Fort Mifflin, Pa., the celebration of the Marine Corps' 148th birthday took the form of a dance in the barracks that evening. Marines at the Navy Yard, Norfolk, Va., staged a mock battle on the parade ground in commemoration of the birthday. It lasted about twenty minutes and was witnessed by Portsmouth and Norfolk citizens.

At Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the birthday was celebrated on the 12th, since a special liberty to Santiago had been arranged on the 10th. The morning activities included field and water sports, and a shooting match. In the afternoon the Marines won a baseball game, 9-8, over a Cuban team. In the evening, members of the command put on a variety show followed by four boxing bouts.

The first so-called "Birthday Ball," such as suggested by McClellan, was probably held in 1925 in Philadelphia. No records have been located of one prior to 1925. Guests included Lejeune, the secretaries of War and Navy, and famous statesmen, soldiers, and sailors. The principle event was the unveiling of a tablet on the site of Tun Tavern. The tablet was a gift from the American Legion Post named after Thomas Roberts Reath, whose membership was composed exclusively of Marines. The celebration was held in conjunction with the annual convention of the Marine Corps League. A parade included Marines, regular Army, and Navy detachments, National Guard, and other military organizations. The evening banquet was held at the Benjamin Franklin Hotel and a ball followed at the Bellevue-Stratford.

It is not possible to determine precisely when the first cake ceremony was held, but the first on record was held at Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C., in 1937. Presiding Commandant Maj. Gen. Thomas Holcomb hosted an open house for Marine Corps officers. Ceremonies included the cutting of a huge cake designed after the famous Tun Tavern in Philadelphia.

From 1937, observances of the Marine Corps Birthday appeared to develop spontaneously throughout the Corps as if they had a life of their own. The celebrations were publicized through every media. Newsreels, motion pictures, and displays were prepared to summarize the history of the Corps. In 1943, standard blank Marine Corps scrapbooks were forwarded to all districts to be filled with 168th anniversary clippings, scripts, pictures, programs, and other memorabilia, and returned to Headquarters. Unfortunately, none of these scrapbooks remain in official files.

In 1951, a formal birthday ball pageant was held at Headquarters Marine Corps. Similar to the pageant today, the script described the Marines' period uniforms and the cake ceremony. Although this is the first substantive record of a pageant, Leatherneck magazine of November 10, 1925 pictures Marines at a pageant in Salt Lake City, Utah, which had taken place "several years ago."

On Oct. 28, 1952, then Commandant, Gen. Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr., directed that the celebration of the Marine Corps Birthday be formalized throughout the Corps, and provided an outline for the cake ceremony, as well as other formal observances. This outline was included in the Marine Corps Drill Manual, approved Jan. 26, 1956.

Traditionally, the first piece of birthday cake is presented to the oldest Marine present and the second piece to the youngest Marine present. When and where this tradition began remains unknown. Some records indicate this practice, and others vary it depending on the dignitaries present at the ball. First pieces of cake have been presented to newlyweds, the Secretary of the Navy, governors, and others, but generally speaking, the first pieces of cake go to the oldest and youngest Marines at the ball.

Presently, the Corps' birthday celebrations differ at posts and stations throughout the Corps. All commemorations include the reading of Marine Corps Order No. 47, and the Commandant's message to those assembled. Most commands hold a birthday ball of some sort, complete with pageant and cake ceremony as prescribed in the Marine Corps Manual.

For information regarding a particular unit's celebration or ball schedule, contact your local representative. Facts in this article were gleaned from www.usmc.mil.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...B?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger

LEJEUNE'S MESSAGE

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Since that date, many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the nations foes. From the battle of Trenton to the Argonne. Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

Sempers,

Roger

MARINES' HYMN

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli,
    We fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea.
    First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean;
    We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine.

Our Flag's unfurled to every breeze from dawn to setting sun.
    We have fought in every clime and place, where we could take a gun.
    In the snow of far off northern lands and in sunny tropic scenes,
    You will find us always on the job, the United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps, which we are proud to serve.
    In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve.
    If the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes,
    they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.

Sempers,

Roger

The Marines Prayer

Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy
    presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose in deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold.
    If I am inclined to doubt; steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer. Amen.

Sempers,

Roger

CAKE CUTTING SCRIPT

(The following are three separate and slightly different cake cutting scripts. There does not appear to be a set-in-stone script.)

EXAMPLE #1

It is customary at Marine Corps birthday celebrations worldwide to cut a traditional cake in celebration of the birth of our illustrious Corps.

The first piece of cake is given to our guest of honor,

The second to the oldest Marine present he was born on and enlisted in the Marine Corps on

Upon receiving the second piece of cake, the oldest Marine will in turn pass it on to signifying the passing of experience and knowledge from the old to the young of our Corps. will then receive the third piece of cake further emphasizing the fact that we care for our young Marines before we look to our own needs. (Pause) and so it must be.

EXAMPLE #2

The Marine Corp’s birthday cake-cutting ceremony is important to all Marines, as it is an annual renewal of each Marine’s commitment to the Corps . . . and the Corps’ commitment to our nations quest for peace and freedom worldwide.

The birthday cake is traditionally cut with the Mameluke sword, as a reminder that we are a band of warriors, committed to carrying the sword, so that our nation may live in peace. The Mameluke sword gets its name from the cross hilt and ivory grip design, similar to swords used for centuries by Ottoman warriors. The Marine Corps tradition of carrying this sword dates from Lieutenant Presley O’Bannon’s assault of Derna, Tripoli, in 1805, where he is said to have won the sword of the governor of the city.

(Pause)

As is our custom, the first piece of cake will be presented to our guest of honor.

By tradition, the second piece of cake is presented to the oldest Marine present.

Ladies and Gentlemen . . . the oldest Marine present is
    . was born in

The third piece of cake is presented to the youngest Marine present.

Ladies and Gentlemen . . . The youngest Marine present is
    . was born in

EXAMPLE #3

Traditionally - Regardless of location - Marines pause to observe our birthday by sharing a cake and usually, a holiday meal. A sword is used to cut the cake as a reminder that we are a band of warriors, committed to carrying the sword, so that our nation may live in peace.

The first piece of cake is presented to the Guest of Honor. The second piece is presented to the oldest Marine in the command, signifying the honor and respect accorded to experience and seniority. The oldest Marine this evening is , who was born on .

Symbolically, the eldest Marine present passes a piece of cake to the youngest Marine present, just as for years our experienced Marines have nurtured and led young Marines that will fill our ranks and renew our Corps. The youngest Marine present this evening is , who was born .

Sempers,

Roger

For all Marines in the Northern Virginia area.

I will be hosting the 228th Marine Corps Birthday Party at my pub, Kirkpatricks at 1700 on 11/10. All are invited!

For information and directions, please visit www.kirkpatrickspub.com

Semper Fi!

Cool Planning is the key to a successful Marine Corps Birthday Ball

Planning is the key to a successful Marine Corps Birthday Ball

By Fred Zimmerman, Stars and Stripes
    Pacific edition, Thursday, November 6, 2003

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — Marine Corps Community Services helps take the stress out of planning Marine Corps birthday balls.

Each year, Marines are selected to serve on their unit’s Birthday Ball Committee in addition to their regular duties. On Okinawa, Marine Corps Community Services is there to walk them through the planning process.

Planning for the balls begins a year out, said Master Gunnery Sgt. Troy Landmesser, MCCS chief/staff noncommissioned officer in charge, noting planning begins with the next year’s memento. This year’s memento is a Northwest Territorial Mint silver Marine Corps coin.

Landmesser said he meets with the top enlisted servicemembers in each unit every June to schedule the nearly 50 balls planned on Okinawa.

“The generals on the island pick their ball dates and after that we have a lottery,” Landmesser said. “We draw numbers.”

This year there are 46 balls between Oct. 30 and Nov. 29.

Following the drawing, units submit dates to grab one of five clubs: Butler’s Officer Club, The Palms at Camp Hansen, Futenma Habu Pit, Kinser Surfside and Beachhead at Camp Schwab.

Some units change ball dates to get the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force Band to perform or to get a re-enactment of the raising of the Stars and Stripes on Iwo Jima.

The band can support two birthday balls each night.

Community Services helps units plan through its Web site, www.okinawa.usmc-mccs.org/usmcball/files, Landmesser said.

In addition, Landmesser said he has three meetings with unit representatives and Community Services personnel beginning in September to make clear everyone’s responsibilities.

“The [points of contact] and the managers of the clubs are the key to success,” Landmesser said. “It seems like a lot to do, but once they get started, it’s not that bad. Once they start talking to the managers, everything falls into place.”

Butler Officer’s Club Manager Alan Burn said his staff works hard to make each unit happy.

“We try to accommodate everyone’s special requirements and fit all requests in,” Burn said. “About 95 percent of each ball is the same, and 5 percent is special requests.”

Maj. Kevin Coughlin, 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force ball action officer, said Community Service’s plan was very helpful for the first-time planner.

“They make it pretty simple,” Coughlin said. “They put everything in front of you and help as much as they can. It’s a class act all the way around.”

For this year’s birthday celebration, clubs have expanded menus — guests can choose between stuffed pork chops or Pacific tilapia and scallops in addition to the traditional beef, chicken and vegetarian choices.

Community Services also helps take care of other details.

Landmesser said the organization provides taped music if a band isn’t available and the commandant’s and sergeant major of the Marine Corps’ videotaped birthday messages.

It even arranges transportation, photographers, disc jockey and event programming.

Community Services also opens the Child Development Center for the evening if the unit has at least 20 children who need care.

After each ball season, Community Services receives after-action reports and studies them to figure out what went right — and wrong.

“We’re always trying to improve and make it better every year,” Landmesser said.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=18521

Sempers,

Roger

What is the recipe for 1775 Rum Punch?

1 part lime juice
    2 parts sugar syrup
    3 parts dark rum
    4 parts water
    Mix ingredients and pour over ice or chill. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and a dash of Angostura Bitters. You can substitute pineapple juice for the water.

What is the recipe for Hot Buttered Rum?

1 small cinnamon stick
    2 whole cloves
    1 lump of sugar or 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
    1 pat of butter
    1 jigger of Jamaican or Puerto Rican rum
    A pinch of ground nutmeg
    Boiling water
    Rinse a mug with boiling water (to warm it). Put the first five ingredients in, add the boiling water and sprinkle the nutmeg on top. It'll be too hot to drink right away, but that's okay because the longer it sits, the better it is.

Birthday Ball Music

Detailed Instructions for creating your own CD or audio cassette

Song Title Track
    Attention 23
    Adjutant's Call 24
    "French Foreign Legion" March - Dugat 25
    "Semper Fidelis" - Sousa 26
    Attention 27
    One Ruffle and Flourish - Flag Officers March ** 28
    Two Ruffles and Flourishes - Flag Officers March ** 29
    Three Ruffles and Flourishes - Flag Officers March ** 30
    Four Ruffles and Flourishes - Flag Officers March ** 31
    Attention 32
    National Anthem: "The Star Spangled Banner" - Smith/Key 33
    Attention 34
    The Marines' Hymn (slow version) - traditional 35
    Auld Lang Syne - traditional 36
    "Semper Fidelis" - Sousa 37
    Anchors Aweigh/Marines' Hymn - Zimmerman/traditional 38

** PLEASE NOTE: This sequence includes four sets of "Ruffles and Flourishes - Flag Officers March" (tracks 28-31), ONE of which may be chosen if honors are required, and the other three not programmed for play. If honors are NOT required in the sequence, all four tracks (28-31) should be excluded.

Link......
    http://www.usmc.mil/band/m_bandcd.ns...Music?OpenView

Sempers,

Roger

Cool Marines celebrate 228 years with a little 228-mile

Marines celebrate 228 years with a little 228-mile
    fun run

By Scott Schonauer, Stars and Stripes
    European edition, Saturday, November 8, 2003

NAVAL STATION ROTA, Spain — In celebration of the Marine Corps’ 228th birthday, Marines laced up their combat boots and ran 228 miles nonstop in less than two days.

Members of Marine Corps Security Force Company, Europe ran the last two-mile leg together on Friday afternoon.

The run is just one of the many ways in which Marines worldwide are observing the Corps’ anniversary this month. The Continental Congress created the Corps on Nov. 10, 1775, to defend ships and Navy installations.

About 200 Marines in Rota participated in Friday’s final jog, carrying a Marine Corps flag while chanting and clapping until the finish.

Lt. Col. Michael Popovich, executive officer of the Norfolk, Va.-based Marine Corps Security Force Battalion, and Maj. Frank Lugo, the company commander, led the pack as it snaked up and down naval station roads.

Popovich is the guest of honor at Saturday’s Marine Corps Birthday Ball in El Puerto de Santa Maria.

Staff Sgt. Jason Grove, the company’s operations chief, came up with the idea of having a run this year.

“Before I could even formulate any kind of a detailed plan, the Marines of this company were all about running a total of 228 miles,” Grove said.

The company began on Wednesday around 5 p.m. Teams of three or four ran two- and four-mile routes in shifts. Marines ran during their free time.

Lance Cpl. Shawn Thorson said he volunteered to run for “all of the Marines who have died in war.”

The company might make the run an annual event.

Scott Schonauer / Stars and Stripes

Marine Lt. Col. Michael Popovich (holding flag), executive officer of the Norfolk, Va.-based Marine Corps Security Force Battalion, and Maj. Frank Lugo (right), commander of the Marine Corps Security Force Company, Europe, lead a company run Friday at Naval Station Rota, Spain.

Scott Schonauer / S&S
    Marines get ready to run the last leg of a 228-mile run in celebration of the Marine Corps' 228th birthday Friday at Naval Statioin Rota, Spain.

Scott Schonauer / S&S
    Marine Gunnery Sgt. Juan Lizalde screams after singing the "Marine Hymn" Friday at Naval Statioin Rota, Spain. Lizalde and about 200 members of Marine Corps Security Force Company, Europe, sang the hymn before running the last leg of a 228-mile company run in celebration of the Marine Corps' 228th birthday. The Marine ran the 228 miles in shifts, beginning on Wednesday

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=18565

Sempers,

Roger

Just An Old Soldier

He was getting old and paunchy.........And his hair was falling fast

He sat around the Legion.........Telling stories of the past
    Of a war that he once fought in.........And the deeds that he had
    done In his exploits with his buddies...........They were heroes, every one 'Tho sometimes to his neighbors...........His tales became a joke All his buddies listened quietly...........For they knew where of he spoke But we'll hear his tales no longer..........For ol' Bob has passed away The world's a little poorer...........For a Soldier died today He won't be mourned by many..........Just his children and his wife For he lived an ordinary..........Very quiet sort of life He held a job and raised a family..........Going quietly on his way The world won't note his passing............'Tho a Soldier died today When politicians leave this earth............Their bodies lie in state While thousands note their passing........... And proclaim that they were great
    Papers tell of their life stories............. From the time that they were young But the passing of a Soldier............Goes unnoticed, and unsung Is the greatest contribution............To the welfare of our land Some jerk who breaks his promise.............And cons his fellow man? Or the ordinary fellow............Who in times of war and strife Goes off to serve his country...............And offers up his life? The politician's stipend............And the style in which he lives
    Are often disproportionate.............To the service that he gives
    While the ordinary Soldier............ Who offered up his all Is paid off with a medal..............And perhaps a pension, small
    It's so easy to forget them............For it is so many times
    That our Bobs and Jims and Johnnys.............Went to battle
    We know it is not the politicians...........With their compromise
    and ploys Who won for us the freedom............ That our country now enjoys Should you find yourself in danger...........With your enemies at hand Would you really want some cop-out............With his ever waffling stand? Or would you want a Soldier...........His home, his country, his kin
    just a common Soldier...........Who would fight until the end
    He was just a common Soldier..................And his ranks are
    growing thin But his presence should remind us..............We may need his like again For when countries are in conflict............We find the Soldier's part Is to clean up all the troubles............That the politicians start. If we cannot do him honor..............While he's here to hear the praise Then at least let's give him homage..............At the ending of his days Perhaps just a simple headline.............In the paper that might
    say.....................

"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
    A SOLDIER DIED TODAY."

"God Bless the U.S.A."

Marine Corps Order No. 47
    MARINE CORPS ORDERS No. 47 (Series 1921)
    HEADQUARTERS U.S. MARINE CORPS
    Washington, November 1, 1921

759. The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt.

(1) On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

(2) The record of our corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and is the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas, that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

(3) In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

(4) This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.
    JOHN A. LEJEUNE,
    Major General Commandant

He also said;

"Trust is not given, nor is it easily earned.

Today trust of the Nation is our inheritance.
    A trust earned through selfless valor and determined actions

Of generations of Marines on distant shores

And misty battlefields of our storied past.

Left to us as part of our predecessor's legacy,

It is now ours to sustain.

The stewardship of this trust is our sacred responsibility.

It is a debt we owe to those who have gone before us,

And a promise we make to those to follow.
    It is the guiding light of our ethos.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute

We who now Marines today

Have received from them the eternal spirit

which has animated our Corps from generations

And has been the distinguishing mark of Marines in every age.

Semper Fidelis

Major General John a Lejeune...1921

These are the bonds that bond one Marine to another.
    Regardless of the era that Marine served.
    Recently I met another Marine from WWII, that sprite and pride of Corps is still alive in those gentlemen, who it was my honor to meet.
    Pride of having earned the Marine Corps Emblem, The Eagle, Globe and Anchor linking us with the British Royal Marines.
    Who we just served together in Iraq.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

I placed the above here dued to many units and organizations will be celebrating Marine Corps Birthday today dued to 10th being monday and a working day.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

PS I'll be attending GunnyLopez celebration on the 9th of November.
    Too bad I don't drink any more, but whatever I'll be drinking.
    I'll toast many a Marine that it's been my pleasure to have served, met in the flesh or on the web.
    1st Lt. Frank Stanley Reasoner USMC
    MGySgt. Bill Robinson Jr. USMC "MGunz"
    MSgt. L.G Buddenhagen USMC "Budd" with two "d's"
    Sgt. George H. Morrow USMC "Nomad"
    L/Cpl. Randall Kenneth Campbell USMC
    Pfc. Carl R. Wenzel USMC
    All the above are guarding Heaven's gates.
    Their service to the Nation and our beloved Corps is what bonds us together.

Semper Fidelis\Semper Fi take your choice...
    Ricardo

I just notices that this was post in Sgt. Pap forum.
    Sgt. Pap was Sgt. George H. Morrow USMC aka "Nomad".
    So it's fitting that I included my dear friend and fellow Marine.
    Here and in the dedication of my message board.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

MGySgt. Bill Robinson Jr. USMC "MGunz" on the left as you face this photo.
    Sgt. George H. Morrow USMC "Nomad" on the right.
    My dear friends and fellow Marines.
    You left a big void but you'll always be alive as long as we remember our beloved Corps

Semper Fidelis and may you Rest In Peace
    Ricardo

Thread Information