Marine Killed By Deputy in Orange Co. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    see this is what is driving me nuts here,, how is it that one person (Deputy) says he (the dead Marine) was acting strange,, but the whole community and the Base says he was a completely different person,,, this is the stuff that make me crazy,,,,,, er
    People do funny things.

My department had a shooting where officers responded on a prowler call. They found the prowler, who immediately attacked an officer with a knife. It turned out to be a big cake frosting knife.

Shots fired, the suspect ran down the street, turning with his hands together like he had a gun. More shots and the guy finally collapses, shot five times. He lived - barely. He had no gun.

When I interviewed him at the hospital a couple of days later, he admitted freely that he never intended to hurt a cop (hence the frosting knife), but was attempting suicide by cop. He was disappointed that they weren't better shots, but held no animosity. He admitted the same story to the court appointed shrinks. He was actually a friendly guy with a lot of problems.

All of his family and friends were shocked that he tried such a thing.

We had four citizen witnesses and four officers all telling essentially the same story as the shot guy told. He copped a plea to felonious assault and got court-ordered in-patient psychiatric treatment.

Now, the funny thing was the four officers fired about 30 shots between them. A parked car got shot up some and a bullet hit a house, breaking a window and lodging in a door frame. The TV news people were going door-to-door trying to get people to bad mouth the cops for shooting so much. One guy told them he would be happy to buy the department ammunition to replace what they fired. The city was smart and was on top of getting damaged property repaired without quibble, and the whole neighborhood was on our side.

The media also tried to turn it into a racial issue as the shot prowler was black and the four cops white. Except the house he was prowling around was owned by a black family. Ooopsy. Then the suicide-by-cop story came out. Double-ooopsy.

Moral to this story is: Things aren't necessarily what they appear to be at first.

that may be true,, but in this case,, the police story changes,, then the union tries to bad mouth the dead Marine, and everyone and i mean everyone tells of a loving and very friendly Man,,,now i understand the Officers have a very different time as i noted earlier,, but why would he take his kids with him to commit suicidal,, and why would he take his Bibles one for him and two more for his kids,,it would seam to me that in this case, imo, it looks like they are dragging there feet over a mistake,,that is the impressions i am getting

Quote Originally Posted by SGT RED View Post
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...nty&id=8539913

Read the above article - Shortly after the incident, this story came out in the news. Go to paragraph 9 "The entire incident was caught on the patrol car's dashboard camera."
    You've asked "Are we even sure the vehicle was equipped with a video system?" Who knows for sure? The stories have changed 2-3 times, but this article states there is a video! Your second question "Did you really turn on your video every time you went to check something out or went on a call? Absolutely! The camera was activated automatically whenever the blue lights were on, and my department's S.O.P. was to activate the camera system always where there were exigent circumstances. Even if we were out of view, the video would be recorded!

In reference to shooting inside the vehicle, you state "It's very possible that the children were clear from the deputy's vantage point?" Clear…? Is there such a thing as clear when you shoot into an area the size of a vehicle compartment when there are children inside? Ever hear of a ricochet?

Further, not once have I condemned the officer's actions, except for the fact that I have remarked about his ridiculous statement that he shot the driver out of fear for the lives for the children. If you remember, his first statement was that he was in fear for his own life! I have stated that Orange County SO is in a "CYA" (cover your a**) mode… and that's only because of the conflicting statements from them, the deputies, and the news articles. Incidentally, our S.O.P. mandates that a PIO (Public Information Officer) shall be the only representative from the agency to release information to the press. There should have been one, and only one, press release given until the facts were straight! Looks like there's a "dog and pony show" going on there now; that's why there is even more confusion as to the facts!

And, as you say: FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Your very last sentence is "Let the investigation run its course before we tie this deputy (Who was also a Marine) to the stake and light the fire. No matter what the deputy did, whether his actions were honorable or not, he is, and always will be a Marine!
    "Was" was a poor word choice.

Again, I'm not going to debate wither it is a good idea to turn your camera on every time you get out of the car. All I was saying is that it isn't a universal practice. It apprears that there is video anyway.

Also, I have heard of a ricochet. Bad things can happen wherever a shooting occurs. You have to weigh the risks involved with the shooting vs. letting the suspect escape and it has to be done in a split second. Perhaps the deputy made a poor choice, but just because there were kids in the car doesn't mean a shooting isn't justified.

It is also our policy to have our PIO or a representitive designated by command to do all the talking to the media. You're right and this should have been done here.

When I read your post the tone I was getting from it was that you were condemning the officer's actions. If I misunderstood your post then I do apologize. I was having a bad night and was feeling kinda ****y, so again I do apologize if I misinterperated.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    "Was" was a poor word choice.

Again, I'm not going to debate wither it is a good idea to turn your camera on every time you get out of the car. All I was saying is that it isn't a universal practice. It apprears that there is video anyway.

Also, I have heard of a ricochet. Bad things can happen wherever a shooting occurs. You have to weigh the risks involved with the shooting vs. letting the suspect escape and it has to be done in a split second. Perhaps the deputy made a poor choice, but just because there were kids in the car doesn't mean a shooting isn't justified.

It is also our policy to have our PIO or a representitive designated by command to do all the talking to the media. You're right and this should have been done here.

When I read your post the tone I was getting from it was that you were condemning the officer's actions. If I misunderstood your post then I do apologize. I was having a bad night and was feeling kinda ****y, so again I do apologize if I misinterperated.
    It's not hard to let the "Press" influence our thoughts; sometimes they seem to enjoy doing that. Just reading the story of the shooting, and knowing that a Marine was shot and killed in front of his children, as well as finding out the Deputy who shot him is also a Marine, leaves us all with *****y feelings. The lives of the families of the fallen Marine and the Deputy are forevermore shattered whether the shooting was justified or not. But, I'm glad we as Marine brothers are on common ground, and at times can agree to disagree with each other in a tolerable manner. We'll probable never know the full story, and like the families involved we'll just have to deal with it in our own way.

SEMPER FI!

The widow of Camp Pendleton Marine Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr. has delivered a healthy baby girl named Hope, according to the Associated Press. It was a name the couple chose for the baby before Loggins’ death at the hands of an Orange County Sheriff’s deputy on February 7th.
    Family friend James Webb told the AP that baby Hope was born 3:30 Sunday afternoon at Naval Hospital, Camp Pendleton.
    Loggins family attorney Brian T. Dunn confirmed the baby’s birth to the Orange County Register:

http://homepost.kpbs.org/2012/03/sgt...-to-baby-hope/

And some more in this article:
    http://sanclementetimes.com/view/ful...=guest_opinion

the press still don't sound to sympathetic to the Sheriff Dept do they,, i hope you keep us posted on this thanks,,,

Guys, from what I have heard, this Sgt drove his SUV thru a schools locked gate, was very upset? at his children, traffic stop/request b-up. they arrived, and removed the children from the SVU, this Sgt, was just out side the drivers door. became fxxking upset about his children being removed and away, separated, ( we all know the routine) when, ( keep in mind) this guys 6'3" 260 approx. Dep 5'9" approx 185, jumps into the truck side ways, as if going under the seat. Sad for everyone, the Sgt, for being as he was, the kids. being ****ed off at their Dad, the 4 officers, one who had to take a live, and still wondering why, is off for stress. Messed, his mine up. No guys, not taking sides, I retired from this Dept. And still have friendsworking. Bad, all the way, Loss a Marine brother, Losing a young man that had a very promiseing career. Children who will never forget, but, the 5 to 10 million they receive will help.
    Semper Fi.
    Cando

Amen Brother, Semper Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    Agreed,, I hope things get cleared up soon,,, I feel for the family of the dead Marine and for the Deputy as well,, I can only imagine what is going through his head...

Amen, Zulu 36,
    Semper Fi.
    Cando

Thread Information