44 Years ago Today - Hue City
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

44 Years ago Today - Hue City

I believe today is the 44th anniversary of my going into Hue City with the 1/5. I went in as a green fng and after about 2+ weeks I emerged as a Marine. I had no idea at the time of how my life had been totally transformed forever. To my brothers that were also there S/F.

Credits
    Savings
    some dates are remembered forever,,, some of them we have"Generalized" somewhere in memory............................................ .................

you can't swear in Court to the date,,, but you can swear to doing the deed

SemperFidelis Marine,, thanks for letting us hang around with you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Heres too Yah Russ...Maybe as tha' Years Roll by~~~ You can have more Peace in Your Life~~~Go Easy My Friend, Semper Fidelis

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    You know what those days mean to me Russ.You know what I carry in my heart for Marine Grunts that fought in Nam. I regret that I wasn't there to cover your back, brother. I have the greatest respect for all Marines that served in Nam. However, I have a special place of Honor those grunts I served with directly. When I think about what Marines are all about, You and Jack come to mind. I'll never forget what you did there. God Bless.

Russ, We who survived our freshman year at the University of Hue Salute you! What an education we got!

Yes those days were quite a blur to me. Being a ng I was scared ****less, all the scuttlebutt we were hearing about how the 2/5 was being torn a new a$$hole and were they going to send us in. We actually went in yesterday afternoon, the **** for me started today, early this morning.

Within a couple of days I realized that I wasn't afraid anymore, I had learned to hang it up like everybody around me. We were getting ng's every day almost even our battalion support people were put on line with us. Some ng's were still wearing stateside utilities and boots, they must have just arrived in country from Freedom Hill. Poor sonofa*****es.

The constant rain, freezing my asss off every night and the smells that would gag a maggot and in the beginning make you puke, and the flies. Yes Doug, I received one hell of an education, and a pretty good case of PTSD out of that one.

The next month my reward was promotion to Cpl, and then too many walks in the park out in the Arizona to remember. I do remember Meade River and the Hook though, I didn't think I was going to come out of that one either.

After that when I realized that I had lived, I went back to the world and lived happily ever after. More or less.

P.S. Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Yes those days were quite a blur to me. Being a ng I was scared ****less, all the scuttlebutt we were hearing about how the 2/5 was being torn a new a$$hole and were they going to send us in. We actually went in yesterday afternoon, the **** for me started today, early this morning.

Within a couple of days I realized that I wasn't afraid anymore, I had learned to hang it up like everybody around me. We were getting ng's every day almost even our battalion support people were put on line with us. Some ng's were still wearing stateside utilities and boots, they must have just arrived in country from Freedom Hill. Poor sonofa*****es.

The constant rain, freezing my asss off every night and the smells that would gag a maggot and in the beginning make you puke, and the flies. Yes Doug, I received one hell of an education, and a pretty good case of PTSD out of that one.

The next month my reward was promotion to Cpl, and then too many walks in the park out in the Arizona to remember. I do remember Meade River and the Hook though, I didn't think I was going to come out of that one either.

After that when I realized that I had lived, I went back to the world and lived happily ever after. More or less.

Happily ever after, more or less?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    i trip out reading all of these post, i was not there , s/f to all who were, bob

Credits
    Savings
    Images

got my education in Arizona terratory...we were hit purdy hard there my second night in the bush....a cupple months later a fng that was bout scared sh*tless asked me if i was scared....told him no...he said i was eather a lier or crazy.....a few more months after that he was walking point...guess he wasnt scared anymore....only time i felt real fear was when they took my M14 and put my butt on the freedom bird....wasnt sure if i wanted to come back here

44 years? Seems like yesterday to me. Tet 68 was a time i will never foget. Was in country about 5 months. I liked it so much i stayed another 2 1/2 years. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Namvet67 View Post
    44 years? Seems like yesterday to me. Tet 68 was a time i will never foget. Was in country about 5 months. I liked it so much i stayed another 2 1/2 years. Semper Fi
    You're crazier than I am, once was enough for me. Just saying.

Credits
    Savings
    44 Years ago last Saturday, 2/11/68 I got my backside blown off at Khe Sahn. Only had 8 more days before I was supposed to be on my way Home. Spent 354 days in Hospital and had 9 operations, then was Retired Out. God has been GOOD to me and I Thank Him everyday for my Jarhead Brothers,then and now. SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    44 Years ago last Saturday, 2/11/68 I got my backside blown off at Khe Sahn. Only had 8 more days before I was supposed to be on my way Home. Spent 354 days in Hospital and had 9 operations, then was Retired Out. God has been GOOD to me and I Thank Him everyday for my Jarhead Brothers,then and now. SEMPER FI
    Foxman, God bless you brother. I survived Hue City but got hit in late june and spent a year recovering. got the boot june 69

I got it in the back as well. Lost L. kidney and lung and use of left arm.

I feel for you all my brothers. I still don't understand how I came out of all that without a scratch. I just tell myself that I've always been lucky that way.

I feel for you all my brothers. I still don't understand how I came out of all that without a scratch. I just tell myself that I've always been lucky that way.
    You are blessed Russ. It was ot time for you during Tet. I got mine the end of June.

My friend Rick Mack is celerating the day he lost one of his nuts today in Hue.

Thread Information