Any 7051 / Crash Crew Marines out there?
Create Post

Any 7051 / Crash Crew Marines out there?

Hello Marines,

I just have a quick question. I'm currently in the process of enlisting into the Marine Corps. I'm trying to get a 7051 / Crash Crew contract, but right now a lot of MOS's are becoming hard to get. My recruiter is saying its thanks to President Obama's proposed cuts to the DoD. Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any Marines who are or were Crash Crew / 7051? I have heard from a few people including my recruiter that 7051 maybe a harder MOS to get now because the military is phasing out a lot of it's firefighters and replacing them with civilians. My recruiter is telling me it's still possible to get a 7051 contract but not to hold my breath. So is this true that military firefighters are being phased out? Are any Crash Crew Marines on this forum that may be able to help? I really appreciate any answer I may get from any Marine regardless of MOS though.

Thank you Marines

There are a few Crash Crew guys that are on this site. At least 2 of them that I'm aware of log on every so often. They'll be around at some point maybe. Or not, idk.

But anyway in answer to your question, it wouldn't surprise me if civilians are taking over. The way Obama and the Government have been acting lately with all these cuts, we may not have a Military left anymore.

Crash Crew isn't really an MOS I'm very familiar with or know a lot about. It wouldn't surprise me though that they are bringing civilians. Like Conch said, if Obama gets his way, there won't be a military.

If I were you, I would continue to press your recruiter on the issue. It's his job to try and get you into that MOS if you want it, or something similar. He / she should be up to date on all this information.

All I really know about Crash Crew is they pull long shifts and they get to drive those bigass dump truck looking things with firehoses on them up and down the runway. Then they get to sit next to the runway waiting for a plane or helicopter in distress to come in to try and land safely.

I haven't heard anything about the MOS being phased out. I know that a lot of the Military Police have been phased out or at least Civilian DoD police have been added to the force. The 8811 MOS (Firefighter) is being phased out, I know that. The DoD is now using civilian firefighters for that MOS. I don't think it would be a wise decision for the Corps to phase out Crash Crew. It's not a good plan if they are. I have been out for over a year now, but I can definitely ask some of my buds who are still Active. I would definitely ask your recruiter to check into further information for you on this if 7051 is definitely something you would want for an MOS. I highly recommend it and you will have a lot of fun with it, as well be saving lives at the same time.

Oh yeah another thing I forgot to add earlier. If you do go 7051, you cannot, and I repeat, cannot have any fear of fire and flames, or fear of smoke. I'm not even saying this to be funny, I'm dead serious. It is very important that you have no phobia of fire and smoke.

You also will do your training at the Louis Garland Department of Defense Fire Academy at Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo, way out in the boonies of West Texas. It's the only location for training of military firefighters and crash crewmen.

If you sign the Aviation Suppott Contract (i belive that is the contract with CFR) you will probly end up getting Ordnance as your MOS and not in CFR

Thread Information