Reserve > Active in DEP
Create Post

Reserve > Active in DEP

Hey all. Topic kind of sums it up. I'm in the DEP right now, signed as a 6x2 Reserve. Is there anyway I could switch my contract to Active? I was told I could be able to switch in a year to active by my recruiter, but I was then told by a family member who's in the USMC that nothing's guaranteed. I only picked Reserve cause it'll "ship me" out to boot camp quicker and get started, but I don't mind the wait since for active since I wouldn't be guaranteed a switch.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 02-08-12 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Nothing basic about Marine Corps boot camp.

Absolutely do -NOT- ship Reserve if your goal is to go Active. It is extremely difficult to jump Reserve to Active, especially with the economy the way it is, and not only are there no guarantees but I will tell you right now that you're almost guaranteed not to get it.

There are a lot of guys, with experience and MOS credibility, trying to go Active from the Reserves, especially with Iraq being over and Afghanistan heading that way. A lot of guys trying to get one last taste of battle.

In summary:

Wait to ship. Do not, under any circumstances, do what you're talking about doing. You will end up in the Reserves. Trust me on this. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

I was wondering if I could switch to active while in the DEP?

Like I said, until you sign the final paperwork at MEPS the morning you ship to boot camp everything is flexible.

You need to go back and talk to your recruiter. Tell him/her that you want to go active duty and that you're not going to take the risk of shipping Reserve and not being able to go Active. Don't let anyone try and convince you to take this route, it is not in your best interest.

The Reserves are a big commitment to make, in some ways more difficult than going Active Duty, and if it isn't what you want then you need to fix this before you do something stupid to avoid waiting an extra couple months.

Thank you so much Radio. I'll be talking to my recruiter on Thursday before PT about this. You were very informative.

Glad I could help. This is YOUR future and you have to keep that fact first and foremost in your mind, even when it seems like other people have it all figured out for you.

I was told there will be a small chance of me being able to switch to Active cause they aren't taking many graduates as active at this time.

Okay.

You are absolutely missing my point.

Yes, there are SMALL CHANCES of many things in the Marine Corps. There is a SMALL CHANCE that the Commandant might walk up to you in boot camp and give you a field promotion to Sgt. Sure, it's not likely but there is a SMALL CHANCE.

What I am trying to impart to you, young padawan, is that the likelihood of these things happening are extremely low.

If you think you want to go active, you need to ship active. If you think you want to be a grunt, you need to ship as a grunt. If you wait until later on there is a HUGE CHANCE you will be disappointed, disgruntled, and complaine constantly about how he woulda shoulda coulda been an active duty grunt.

Don't be that guy. Fix yourself. Figure out what you want. Stop being wishy washy and get yourself in gear.

Ooorah?

Last edited by Lisa 23; 02-10-12 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Tone it down there, Marine.

I understand what you're trying to tell me, but you say if I want to go active, I need to ship active. But as I stated earlier I'm already signed as 6x2 and being told they'll be a low chance, how will I be expected to ship active IF they don't allow it? Will I just need to stick through with what I'm currently at now, or is there something else I can possibly do?

Quote Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
    I understand what you're trying to tell me, but you say if I want to go active, I need to ship active. But as I stated earlier I'm already signed as 6x2 and being told they'll be a low chance, how will I be expected to ship active IF they don't allow it? Will I just need to stick through with what I'm currently at now, or is there something else I can possibly do?
    Go talk to your recruiter. Shipping quotas are different all over the nation. I have limited active duty spots for guys like you, his office/region may have none.

You'll have a better chance if you help him find a replacement to take your spot. Bottom line is go talk to him. You are going to get your best answer from him.

Thread Information