Another Med Waiver Question, please humor me.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Another Med Waiver Question, please humor me.

I am 28 years old, and was trying to apply to OCS for the Army. My father was a ranger for 22 years, I sincerely want to make him proud. However I have reached a roadblock in my application process. I was denied a waiver for "Medical Standards for Elistment code 696.1 current or history of psoriasis is a pdq". That being said, I am sure you have all heard the usual spiel ie Im strong, capable, I smoked the ASVAB, its not a big deal yada yada.. Ill try not to waste your time with that, I certainly dont need to convince you that I'm physically qualified when the DoD obviously sets these standards for a reason. That being said, I would like any OPINION or FACTUAL information any marine could give me in regards to what options I have. The station commander at USAREC told me that "...while the Army denied your application for a waiver, the other branches process their waivers throught their own respective chains of command and may give favorable consideration to your request..."

I know the Marine Corps must be more strict or at least more demanding of its applicants than the Army. I do however have 3 creditable civilian doctor's referrals saying my condition is, and has been in remission for 3 years and is HIGHLY unlikely to affect me in anyway considering my over all health and medical history. Even at the absolute worst time, my condtion was still described as below mild and has consistently only been present on less that 1% of my body. I was even told by one Dermatologist that there was insufficient evidence of symptoms to say I do have this condition.

Is it possible, with enough effort and patience, given the refferals from my doctors, that I can at least be seen by a CMO at my local MEPS facility to be considered for a waiver? I dont even need to be an officer. I just want to serve. Period.

I absolutely refuse to believe that this is the end of the road for me. After years of planning and waiting, I can't possibly be PDQ'd for a small spot of psoriasis that is literally smaller than a penny. I have no joint pain, no nail pitting, and have had no associated hospitalizations related to my "illness". What can I do to circumvent this roadblock? Shouldn't it be possible to at least see a military medical examiner and let them determine whether my case can be waived, rather than just PDQ me instantly? Since the Army will not waive this, is it possible the Marine Corps will? Though I would rather serve in the Army or the Marine Corps, it is certainly not below me to join the Navy, Airforce or CoastGuard. Please, any information or insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated and go a long way towards helping me realize a lifetime goal. Knowledge is my best weapon here. I am not going to stop trying until everyone looks me in the eye and says "game over".

Thank you sincerely for your time and your service,
    Richard H Grady

I do of course understand that all branches are going through drawdowns at the moment, but I am aware that this does not mean recruiting has ceased. Only slowed.

Fill out more of your profile besides a first and last name, site rules....which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

I thought I had filled it out. I posted my phone number and the whole nine yards. I will retry.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Fill out more of your profile besides a first and last name, site rules....which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
    problem solved

It appears that it is listed as a DOD requirement," Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, "Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, "Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces."

Therefore you would need to apply for a waiver and the starting point would be your local recruiter.Since it is a DOD requirement ,no one here can answer what might happen.

Thanks....

You have 2 strikes against you.....your age and psoriasis.

US Military Enlistment Standards

Age Limits

Marines - 28

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlage.htm

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment

Skin and cellular tissues

Jun 10 2009
    The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
    The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:

Current or history of psoriasis (696.1) is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ary/a/skin.htm

Ask a Marine forum rules..NO PROFILE NO ANSWERS!!! READ BEFORE POSTING..MARINES TOO!

There are no doctors frequenting this website. If you have a medical question that hasn’t already been answered by searching the forums, you’ll have to contact a recruiting office. If they cannot answer your question, you may be directed to a medical representative from MEPS.

Again, read that one carefully. We are Marines (and a few Corpsman). We are not doctors. Medical questions will usually be answered by someone cutting and pasting a section from the about.com website. We cannot explain why your waiver was denied and someone elses was granted. Sorry but that's the way THAT is, too.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103170

Thank you for your reply softballcatch.

I am aware of the Medical Standards for Enlistment. I was inquiring if it were possible to receive a waiver for this. I have all the legal documentation and have already been over this with an Army recruiter. I understand you are not doctors and cannot tell me anything definitive. Which is why I would be more than satisfied with opinion or even speculation. I know several people who serve with my condtion, obviously they have waivers. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction or tell me what steps need to be taken to obtain one?
    Jun 10 2009
    The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
    The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:
    I was, however, under the impression that the cut-off age for the Marine Corps was 28. Meaning I could join at 28. I will not be 29 until December.

Thank you again for your time and service.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    It appears that it is listed as a DOD requirement," Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, "Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, "Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces."

Therefore you would need to apply for a waiver and the starting point would be your local recruiter.Since it is a DOD requirement ,no one here can answer what might happen.
    Thank you sir, much appreciated. So I shoud just grab my paperwork from my Army recruiter, walk down the hall and talk to a Marine recruiter? That's the only way I'm going to know for sure I suppose. Do you personally know how the process works, or could you elaborate on what BUMED is? I'm assuming that is the Corps individual medical command?

I should probably be more direct.

Can anyone tell me how I go about getting a waiver?
    How the waiver process works?
    What do I need to do to begin the process?
    Aside from speaking with a recruiter, can anyone offer any information that may be useful to me in respect to what I should approach my recruiter with?

There is a recruiter, afraziaaaa, who frequents Leatherneck from time to time. He'll be able to help you out more than most of us Marines will.

Until then, the only advice any of us can really offer is to talk with a recruiter face-to-face, not over the phone. You'll get the most up to-date and accurate info on what to do. Be sure to bring all your documentation with you and explain to him/her what you just explained to all of us Marines here.

Be sure to keep us updated on your situation....and good luck to you!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedAmerican View Post
    Thank you sir, much appreciated. So I shoud just grab my paperwork from my Army recruiter, walk down the hall and talk to a Marine recruiter? That's the only way I'm going to know for sure I suppose. Do you personally know how the process works, or could you elaborate on what BUMED is? I'm assuming that is the Corps individual medical command?
    BUMED is Bureau of Medicine, which is actually part of the Navy, but the Marine Corps gets all medical/dental through BUMED. They are the final arbiter of waivers for the Corps.

It is very unlikely that BUMED will grant a waiver where the Army declined to approve one. The Army tends to be more liberal with waivers.

You can go ask the Marine recruiter, but don't be surprised if he won't take your case just on age alone. The waiver process starts with a recruiter and it essentially works the same way the Army process does.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    There is a recruiter, afraziaaaa, who frequents Leatherneck from time to time. He'll be able to help you out more than most of us Marines will.

Until then, the only advice any of us can really offer is to talk with a recruiter face-to-face, not over the phone. You'll get the most up to-date and accurate info on what to do. Be sure to bring all your documentation with you and explain to him/her what you just explained to all of us Marines here.

Be sure to keep us updated on your situation....and good luck to you!

Thank you Softball, You've been very helpful! I'll certainly take your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    BUMED is Bureau of Medicine, which is actually part of the Navy, but the Marine Corps gets all medical/dental through BUMED. They are the final arbiter of waivers for the Corps.

It is very unlikely that BUMED will grant a waiver where the Army declined to approve one. The Army tends to be more liberal with waivers.

You can go ask the Marine recruiter, but don't be surprised if he won't take your case just on age alone. The waiver process starts with a recruiter and it essentially works the same way the Army process does.
    So at 28 I am in fact too old?
    Forgive me if I am a bit tenacious, but unlikely doesn't mean impossible right? I'll do whatever I have to do to serve. I should have skipped college and went straight in, but my mother insisted. Funny thought now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedAmerican View Post
    So at 28 I am in fact too old?
    Forgive me if I am a bit tenacious, but unlikely doesn't mean impossible right? I'll do whatever I have to do to serve. I should have skipped college and went straight in, but my mother insisted. Funny thought now.

Who knows with BUMED? But unlikely means just that. Let's see what afraziaaa has to say when he gets a chance to pop in.

Thread Information