Could use a little knowledge. Help please.
Create Post

Could use a little knowledge. Help please.

Good afternoon Marines,

It's about time that I made a decision on if getting out or reenlisting is better for me. I have been to Afghan twice and both times I was a battery operator grunt for my CO. Now, my wife wants me to reenlist, and I like the idea, because I love the Corps, but at my current location, the Career Planner lacks the answers to my questions on certain issues. Can i submit my Recruiters package as a Corporal of Marines? knowing that i'll rate a cutting score in 3 months.. And what exactly is I and I duty? I've done some research aka google and Inspector/ Instructor duty consists of working and training reservist. But I would I be a reservist then as well or..? Also, would I submit a package with I and I just like I would as a DI or Recruiter? and what if any prerequisites do i need to go I and I duty.?

I can speak somewhat on the I&I piece. In that duty you will coordinate with the reserve unit you are attached to and ensure that they are able to complete their mission. That mission could be preparing for an AT in a country like Norway, Mongolia, or Africa to preparing to mobilize for a deployment to Afghanistan.

It's very dependent on your command and the ability of the reserve unit to how much work you'll need to do. If the reserve unit is good then you'll be ensuring their success. If the leadership is bad or the unit is understaffed then you may have to take up positions of leadership in the reserve unit during their drills / AT.

Also, they get stuck with alot of extra duties such as funeral details, Toys for Tots, and community outreach. You will generally be the only Marine representation in your area besides recruiters, so you will go to alot of public engagements.

I've seen quite a few Marines who got out and stayed in the area that they did I&I duty in. It's a good way to network and gain potential job leads if you want to live in a certain area.

I wasn't I&I though, so take this all with a grain of salt. I was a reservist who you will be enabling if you go I&I.

Also, if you want to deploy you do have the chance if you are I&I. You just have to wait till the reserve unit gets deployed. My squad leader my first deployment was apart of the I&I duty staff.

If you still love Marine Corps life, your wife supports it, and you are offered re-enlistment....

DO IT!

Otherwise, you'll regret it the rest of your life.

Not sure how personable your senior enlisted are, but for questions such as yours (regarding I&I duty, recruiter, etc.) one of your best sources of information will be your 1stSgt.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    If you still love Marine Corps life, your wife supports it, and you are offered re-enlistment....

DO IT!

Otherwise, you'll regret it the rest of your life.

Not true.....well for some that is, but definitely not the end of the road.

Thread Information