Serious Question: Did any Marine ever run worse than I do? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    My IST before I dep'd in:

    0 pull ups
    40 crunches
    17:30 1 1/2 mile run

    (I've never been overweight. im a very small guy, 5'9'' 140 lbs)

    don't listen to these jackasses telling you to "stop whining" or "army is in your future" before I joined, i couldn't even run a mile and a half timed IST without stopping and walking like a weak ****. You get what you put in. For me, what was really killing me was my diet. If you eat **** like mcdonalds, and drink soda (the biggest killer) its going to come back and haunt you when you run. I started eating stuff like rice, chicken, green beans etc and drinking water / gatorade, and i noticed a drastic difference.

    i too worried about physical conditioning before boot camp. in fact, that was all i was worried about. if you really want to become a marine, you'll get better. if not, then its not for you.


  2. #17
    Good answer, Wilson!

    BTW: Your name wouldn't happen to be Terry Wilson, would it? We had a blast in Kinville.

    Joe Pool, Senior Applications Developer
    USMC Dates: 880823 - 920823; Final Rank: E-4
    PvtShane: "Marines have a high standard, you'll meet it, you have no choice in the matter."
    Avoid Sears Home Improvement!

  3. #18
    negative, never heard of kinville or terry wilson.


  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsontc11 View Post
    My IST before I dep'd in:

    0 pull ups
    40 crunches
    17:30 1 1/2 mile run

    (I've never been overweight. im a very small guy, 5'9'' 140 lbs)

    don't listen to these jackasses telling you to "stop whining" or "army is in your future" before I joined, i couldn't even run a mile and a half timed IST without stopping and walking like a weak ****. You get what you put in. For me, what was really killing me was my diet. If you eat **** like mcdonalds, and drink soda (the biggest killer) its going to come back and haunt you when you run. I started eating stuff like rice, chicken, green beans etc and drinking water / gatorade, and i noticed a drastic difference.

    i too worried about physical conditioning before boot camp. in fact, that was all i was worried about. if you really want to become a marine, you'll get better. if not, then its not for you.
    This was the kind of answer I was looking for when I originally started this thread. Obviously I was asking if there were poolees before me that were as in bad of shape as I was in, and thanks to you, the answer is an encouraging yes. Obviously I want to be a Marine or I wouldn't be here, and I'm certainly not complaining to anyone, just asking a simple question.

    I just came here to ask for tips on good nutrition for running, and thanks to your reply, that question was also answered.

    I admit I'm a bit worried about how I will handle drill instructors, but I too am mainly afraid of the physical conditioning, or running. I've got my situps and pullups past the IST requirements.

    One again thank you for your reply.


  5. #20
    You'll be scared as **** of DI's for the first week or two, then you'll have been yelled at so much you won't even care anymore. or you'll be IT'd so much you just get used to it. and the food they give you really helps. My company never ran when we PT'd, yet when we did the first PFT, I ran my first ever 3 miles (i had never run mroe than a mile and a half before that) in like 22 minutes. Not that good, but for the circumstances I was pleased. good luck with your journey.


  6. #21
    Some people have to work harder to run well, like myself, we as I know people who dont ever run, get smashed then go run a 17 minute 3 mile PFT, and then I punch them in the face. But, you got to pound the pavement, push through the burn and make sure you are drinking water. Also, if you do think you have some sort of IBS, or GURD or whatever, you need to get it taken care of, you be surprised how much stuff like that effects you during physical activity. -Semper




  7. #22
    My run sucked before going in. We didn't do IST's. Most I had run was a mile to a mile and a half.

    But I am curious, quite a few recommended that you see a medical profesional regarding the pain you experience in your chest after 30 seconds running, and though you are up to a quarter mile, that is most likely only 2 minutes, give or take. So have you seen a doctor yet regarding this?


  8. #23
    Marine Free Member ecom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    205
    Credits
    17,896
    Savings
    0
    Are you able to exert yourself physically in other manners? For example does riding a bicycle cause the same problems? That's not ideal, but that is cardio. Normally, between work and groceries and other errands, I ride close to 300 miles a month. It sounds like a lot, but 5 mi each way to/from work 22 work days a month is 220 miles/month already. The reason I brought this up is because today I had to run 1/2 mi to the bus stop because I left home late and I wasn't even close to winded when I got there and I have not run at all in the past few years. Oh and I normally despise running.


  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    My run sucked before going in. We didn't do IST's. Most I had run was a mile to a mile and a half.

    But I am curious, quite a few recommended that you see a medical profesional regarding the pain you experience in your chest after 30 seconds running, and though you are up to a quarter mile, that is most likely only 2 minutes, give or take. So have you seen a doctor yet regarding this?
    No, I haven't seen a doctor about this. The pains have gone away. My run time is bad because I get winded, not because of any chest pains.

    I think I was over-exerting myself in cold weather. I was actually running, instead of jogging, and as I said, the weather was cold. Now that things have warmed up, and I lowered my pace to a light jog, I've been able to go a lot further.


  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ecom View Post
    Are you able to exert yourself physically in other manners? For example does riding a bicycle cause the same problems? That's not ideal, but that is cardio. Normally, between work and groceries and other errands, I ride close to 300 miles a month. It sounds like a lot, but 5 mi each way to/from work 22 work days a month is 220 miles/month already. The reason I brought this up is because today I had to run 1/2 mi to the bus stop because I left home late and I wasn't even close to winded when I got there and I have not run at all in the past few years. Oh and I normally despise running.
    The pains have gone away, but yes, I could still exert myself in other manners. Riding a bike is no problem for me.


  11. #26
    Marine Free Member jrhd97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mount,NC
    Posts
    2,471
    Credits
    12,463
    Savings
    0
    Find a running partner that is a better runner than you. That person can push you to a better time and you can learn technique. For some the way you run can be as much of a hindrance as their diet.


  12. #27
    Marine Free Member ecom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    205
    Credits
    17,896
    Savings
    0
    I think your problem may have been running too fast too long too soon. I know when I first started riding my bike to work, it kicked my butt. I work on top of a big hill and I have to climb about 400 ft over about 3/4 mi. Imagine walking up a hill where for every 100 ft forward you walk, you climb 10 ft and keep that up for 3/4 mi. Except that some portions are flatter and others are steeper -- the steepest section is 80 ft climb over about 500 ft horizontal distance.


  13. #28
    Marine Free Member ecom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    205
    Credits
    17,896
    Savings
    0
    Try a little bit slower pace and then gradually increase your speed and distance. Your body needs to build up to your goal. If you get winded, slow down or walk if you have to, same if you get side splints like me when running. The cold weather thing, I find that it's cold at the beginning but once I get going, I'm fairly warm after even as little as 1/2 mi.

    Initially you may want to run only twice a week to start. You need to give your body time to recover when beginning. Without recovery time, you make yourself more vulnerable to injury and it's more difficult to get stronger.

    Drink water, lots of it. Coffee and tea are ok if you don't add a lot of sugar but you need water mainly. I'd avoid juice unless you cut the juice in half with water. I'd say don't exceed two caffeinated beverages per day.

    I do a bit of hiking and downing 1L per 60-90 min is not unusual for me. Squeezing a bit of lemon juice in the water helps give it a bit of flavor but not necessary. I've done 13-16 mi hikes where I've had to refill my 3L bladder maybe twice even though the average pace is like 2-2.5 MPH.


  14. #29
    If this is a bad place to post updates on my PT improvement, just tell me and ignore this post. I like to post my updates for others who come to this site and might search "running problems" or something similar because they aren't confident in their ability to improve physically.

    Anyway, For the past couple of weeks, I've been running about a mile and a quarter in 13 minutes. I'm usually so winded that I stop after 4 laps around the track I go to. 5 laps is a mile and a half. Next time I go I will do 5 laps and see my time. I'm guessing my mile and a half will be in between 15 and 16 minutes.

    While this is still nothing to brag about, it is a dramatic improvement over the days when I could only run about 30 seconds and would have chest pains and nausea. I still need to push myself, and may not be in a position to give advice... but for those out there who were like me when I started running, don't get discouraged.

    I'm also doing 8-10 pullups now. Sit ups are still pretty bad, but the improvement in other areas is encouraging and I still believe I can do it.


  15. #30
    Adema, no this is the perfect place for updates, and good to hear you are getting some improvement. BTW, if it is a standard track, then 4 laps is a mile or 1600 meters, and 6 laps is 1.5 miles or 2400 meters, unless the track you are running on is just a generic loop or something.

    I have sent a few poolees workout plans. I do not recall if I sent you one, but one good way to build your aerobic system is a combination of running and walking. If interested pm me.

    I have coached a kid now for two years, he's a sophomore in high school, and when he started, he was not quite the same as you, but 5 minutes of running kicked his but+. In cross-country we race distances of 2, 2.4, 3 miles and 5k. After two months of training, he ran a 2 mile race in about 16:30. After 9 months of training, in track, he ran a 3200m race, which is 2 miles in 12:45. I told him it takes 2 years to build an aerobic base. In his second track season, he just ran a 3200 in 10:54.

    Perseverance!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts