Serious Question: Did any Marine ever run worse than I do?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Serious Question: Did any Marine ever run worse than I do?

This is a serious question. This is actually making me wonder if I'm physically capable of becoming a Marine. I used to be worried about the mental part, but now I'm worried about the physical.

I haven't taken the IST, but these are just my home scores:

2 pullups
    30 situps

...and here's what I'm worried about. I am not overweight. I've never been overweight, but I just simply cannot run. I have been running for a few months now, and am still horrible at it. I run about 30 seconds, literally, and I'm feeling nauseous and my chest has the weird burning/tightness sensation in it that I didn't used to get when I was younger. I then have to stop.

I know that with time my other scores will improve, but I am worried about the running part. I haven't asked my recruiter if I can work out with them at their PT meetings since I'm not a poolee yet (he hasn't offered either).

I know I am going to have to get a heck of a lot better at running if I want to be accepted, but I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who is a Marine / poolee that ran as bad as me before they went in.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Adema1226 View Post
    This is a serious question. This is actually making me wonder if I'm physically capable of becoming a Marine. I used to be worried about the mental part, but now I'm worried about the physical.

I haven't taken the IST, but these are just my home scores:

2 pullups
    30 situps

...and here's what I'm worried about. I am not overweight. I've never been overweight, but I just simply cannot run. I have been running for a few months now, and am still horrible at it. I run about 30 seconds, literally, and I'm feeling nauseous and my chest has the weird burning/tightness sensation in it that I didn't used to get when I was younger. I then have to stop.

I know that with time my other scores will improve, but I am worried about the running part. I haven't asked my recruiter if I can work out with them at their PT meetings since I'm not a poolee yet (he hasn't offered either).

I know I am going to have to get a heck of a lot better at running if I want to be accepted, but I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who is a Marine / poolee that ran as bad as me before they went in.

Thanks for any help.
    Seriously, 30 sit ups? And two pullups?

I guess we were all that bad at some point, but that might have been when I was in diapers

Don't worry you have plenty of time to fix that.

But how bad do you want it, and how much are you willing to sacrifice to get it?

It's really that simple. Talk is cheap, action counts.

Good luck

First off, what you should really do if you can is go back and see your family doctor and get a complete medical check-up. If you're not able to run any longer than 30 seconds without experiencing the symptoms you're feeling, then there may be a serious health issue going on with you. Explain to him why you would like it done.

You mentioned in one of your previous topics that you may have IBS. Then in another topic, you mentioned that you actually haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but you're sure you have it and that you will need to take some prescription medication during your time in the military to control it.

A quoted post of yours........."I have been to several doctors and have been prescribed medication for it. I just haven't been diagnosed. I asked for this medication and the doctor just said ok and gave it to me. The other doctor said he doesn't believe there is any such thing as IBS."

A quoted post of MOS4429......"To my knowledge doctors do not prescribed meds for undiagnosed illnesses, and they usually do not prescribe meds to a patient who has made a self-diagnosis. If it's not diagnosed by a doctor, it doesn't exist."

I agree! IBS is nothing to fool around over, especially a self-diagnosed one. Both my sister and brother have it and have been diagnosed by a doctor by having tests done.

As I already mentioned, why don't you go back to your family doctor and have him run some tests to see if you actually have IBS. Who knows, maybe you're lactose and intolerant and dairy products are bothering you.
    And get that breathing problem checked out also.

On that note.....go and make an appointment with your family doctor!!!

Last edited by Lisa 23; 02-07-12 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Seriously, 30 sit ups? And two pullups?

I guess we were all that bad at some point, but that might have been when I was in diapers

Don't worry you have plenty of time to fix that.

But how bad do you want it, and how much are you willing to sacrifice to get it?

It's really that simple. Talk is cheap, action counts.

Good luck
    I know it's bad. I haven't done any kind of work outs in years. At one time I could do 10 pullups easy, and led my class in school in situps with 75 in whatever the time limit was. So I know as far as that goes I will be fine if I keep working at it.

I never was good at running though, but when I would, I wouldn't get the chest feelings I'm getting now. Like I said, my other scores will be fine with time, it's the running I'm worried about. I'm worried that I may be too far gone in that area.

I just wanted to know if there was someone who had a running problem as bad as mine and was still able to get through and improve. Hopefully that lack of exercise all these years hasn't caused irreversible damage.

2 pullups
    30 situps

So let me make sure I understand. For a few MONTHS, you have been running for about 30 seconds and stopping at the first inclination of discomfort?

That is not normal. Get yourself checked out medically.

If it turns out there is nothing medically wrong with you, then quit punking out on yourself when you feel discomfort. Push through the pain and make yourself better. It is that simple.

A portion of us throw up during or after PT. That is just the way it is. If you can't handle that, then the Corps isn't for you.

My first thought on reading this was asthma. Start running, immediate onset of exercised-induced asthma. Second thought was anxiety. You're so worried out about your running, that when you start to run, you seize up.

Then I read through the posts and read Softballcatch23's post which reminded me of your earlier concern about IBS and being able to "go" in the morning, and my third thought was hypochondriac.

But as stated previously, we are not doctors, and just as you should not self-diagnose, nobody here can do that either. Therefore, in light of your earlier questions and this one, before you embark on any program, the smartest thing you could do is see a doctor for a complete physical and discuss with him/her these issues and then go from there.

As a track and xc coach, I do have thoughts on the running aspect, but I am reluctant to share those in light of your stated medical concerns. Resvolve those first.

See A Doctor< Because That Is Not Normal, Does Your Family Have A History Of Heart Problems?

Wish You All The Best Billy

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Moved to Ask a Marine.

Yeah, get checked out by a doctor and let us know what the results are and then there are plenty of us who can help you with the running and pullups. I was a tall, skinny, dude before I joined but I was weak too.

I have a different opinion… Sounds like your just plain soft. I’m a firm believer in pain is weakness leaving the body. Obviously you need to get checked out by a doctor first. Then stop whining and start training, but I think the Army might be in your future. Good luck and feel free to prove me wrong.

Well just a slight update here...

I've been training myself hard, and while my IST scores are still laughable, I would say I've improved dramatically. I wanted to post an update here, for the others that read these boards, but never post, and question their ability to get in "good enough" shape for military service.

Right now I'm doing about 6 pullups and 3-4 chin-ups. (I started out lucky getting one honest pullup)

Haven't timed myself but could probably get about 50-60 situps in 2 mins.

Unfortunately, I'm not even close to passing IST scores with my running yet, but for what it's worth, I can run a little over a quarter of a mile without stopping. Like I said, scores still laughable, but this is an encouraging improvement over only being able to run 30 seconds without stopping.

I'm looking forward to my first poolee PT meeting which shouldn't be far off!

Unfortunately, I'm not even close to passing IST scores with my running yet, but for what it's worth, I can run a little over a quarter of a mile without stopping. Like I said, scores still laughable, but this is an encouraging improvement over only being able to run 30 seconds without stopping.
    After reading all of this...I can say that you have not been pushing yourself hard enough. Sure...we all hurt after running for some amount of time but you have to push through the pain. I would suggest figuring out what a 21 minute 3 mile pace would be and start there. There is no stopping.... just stay with the pace. When you accomplish that....drop your time by a minute or two and go again. Over time, you will be able to cut a significant amount of time off your run.

Boils down to this....you either want to be a Marine or not. It really is up to you. If you want it...then you will work your way through the pain and not give up.

Adema,

If you want to join the Marines, it is going to be all about fitness.

If you don't like the idea of being fit, maybe you should ask yourself why you want to join the Marines in the first place.

However, it does appear that you are making progress.

When you go on your runs, don't go all Balls To The Walls. Start with a nice, slow jog. Then go for longer slow jogs, and longer slow jogs. Once you've got a good couple of miles under your belt, then start working on getting the time down by jogging a little faster.

Credits
    Savings
    You need to find a running partner.

Dakota Meyer posted this today on FB:

"First say to yourself what u want to be, then do what you have to do."

He motivates me.

Thread Information