Questions regarding barracks "ghosting" and storage while on AD
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions regarding barracks "ghosting" and storage while on AD

Good afternoon, Marines.

I have a few questions about AD life in the Marines while in the United States. Obviously the answers to these questions are likely to vary from installation to installation, so all I'm asking for is your personal experience.

I've been discussing AD living requirements with my local recruiter. I told him that I had read about Marines "ghosting" their barracks rooms and living outside the barracks on their own dime. As I understand it, you are only required to maintain your barracks room but are not required to live or sleep there. My recruiter confirmed this, but wasn't able to give me a detailed explanation of how such an arrangement would work as he had married soon after he enlisted and didn't spend much time in the barracks. If there is anyone on these boards who has done something similar I would love to hear about it.

My second question has to do with storage of personal belongings in general, but particularly firearms. I've heard that the barracks are rather restrictive in size and do not allow for many personal belongings. As a Marine on AD, were you able to rent storage space somewhere close to where you are based for personal belongings?

As far as firearms are concerned, general consensus seems to be that the firearms would be kept in your bases armory. I've also heard rumors that firearms kept in the armory could be subject to use by anyone who felt like taking them out for a spin. I asked my recruiter if I could store the firearms inside locked cases or install gun locks on them while they were in the armory and he said that it would not be permitted. So this leads to my last question; was the armory the only option you had as a Marine on AD has for storing your personal firearms? My recruiter also stated that you were not allowed to keep ammunition for your weapons inside the armory or anywhere else for that matter; that any ammunition you would need was be purchased and expended at the range and only the unloaded firearms would be returned to the armory.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to share their experiences, your time and input are much appreciated.

Ghosting is NOT technically allowed legitimately and openly. I've never actually seen anyone get subject to disciplinary action for ghosting, but in theory you could. Unless you are given BAH own right, you are required to live in government-provided housing.

On top of that, it's simply a STUPID idea to Ghost, because without BAH you will almost certainly be unable to seriously afford rent for a real dwelling of your own.

Why are you expressing interest in this? Is it simply because you have heard horror stories about the barracks? It's really not all that bad. Are you just older and have been living on your own for a number of years and have a lot of personal belongings?

If the issue is your belongings, you should just sell things you won't ever need for the foreseeable future such as furniture, and store the rest at a parent or relative's house until you once again move out on your own. As a new enlistee, you do not rate for the government to move junk to your duty station from your previous home of record. You show up with two sea bags and a uniform bag, and then buy some personal bedding, towels, and toiletries from the base exchange, and that is honestly all you will need as a junior enlisted Marine. Have your parents ship your X-Box or DVD collection to you in a package once you have settled in.

The government does not provide long-term storage just for general use, nor is it a smart financial decision to utilize storage. Just sell your junk or throw it in a relative's basement for a couple years. If you get married, or when you become a senior NCO, you'll be given BAH and permission to live on your own in base provided housing or a local rental.

As for weapons, you CANNOT keep them in the barracks. You must check them in to the Armory. No, random people cannot just use your private weapon. Unless the armory Marines mess with it, in which case they are 100% in the wrong and could be subject to disciplinary action. It is still your property.
    I am unsure of the policy regarding locked cases or ammunition storage. The policy may vary depending on the armory. One thing I've heard of people doing is taking out their weapon's firing pin, and keeping it stored in a safe deposit box in the bank to ensure their weapon could not be fired by anyone random.

Hope you found my answers helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by the68 View Post
    I've been discussing AD living requirements with my local recruiter. I told him that I had read about Marines "ghosting" their barracks rooms and living outside the barracks on their own dime. As I understand it, you are only required to maintain your barracks room but are not required to live or sleep there.
    This is correct. However, remember that you are officially living in your barracks room. You don't get BAH, and, depending on the command, you may be required to show up to field day and other barracks-related functions.

Basically, if you live out in town, the vast majority of your money is going to be going toward that apartment. If that's what you want to spend your money on, have fun.

My second question has to do with storage of personal belongings in general, but particularly firearms. I've heard that the barracks are rather restrictive in size and do not allow for many personal belongings. As a Marine on AD, were you able to rent storage space somewhere close to where you are based for personal belongings?
    Yes. My own base (MCAS Yuma) has a Uhaul storage spot just off-base. Rent it and use it.

As far as firearms are concerned, general consensus seems to be that the firearms would be kept in your bases armory. I've also heard rumors that firearms kept in the armory could be subject to use by anyone who felt like taking them out for a spin.
    This isn't as true as it used to be; I have a couple friends who work at the armory, and they both say that their CO would personally burn anyone who were to do such a thing. However, the fact is that the armory isn't open on weekends or early / late in the morning, so it's annoying to get your weapons at times.

A better idea is to put them into the same UHaul storage spot you keep the rest of your stuff. You can get a gun safe and trigger locks for said space, and you can also store ammo there.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    Ghosting is NOT technically allowed legitimately and openly. I've never actually seen anyone get subject to disciplinary action for ghosting, but in theory you could. Unless you are given BAH own right, you are required to live in government-provided housing.

On top of that, it's simply a STUPID idea to Ghost, because without BAH you will almost certainly be unable to seriously afford rent for a real dwelling of your own.

Why are you expressing interest in this? Is it simply because you have heard horror stories about the barracks? It's really not all that bad. Are you just older and have been living on your own for a number of years and have a lot of personal belongings?

If the issue is your belongings, you should just sell things you won't ever need for the foreseeable future such as furniture, and store the rest at a parent or relative's house until you once again move out on your own. As a new enlistee, you do not rate for the government to move junk to your duty station from your previous home of record. You show up with two sea bags and a uniform bag, and then buy some personal bedding, towels, and toiletries from the base exchange, and that is honestly all you will need as a junior enlisted Marine. Have your parents ship your X-Box or DVD collection to you in a package once you have settled in.

The government does not provide long-term storage just for general use, nor is it a smart financial decision to utilize storage. Just sell your junk or throw it in a relative's basement for a couple years. If you get married, or when you become a senior NCO, you'll be given BAH and permission to live on your own in base provided housing or a local rental.

As for weapons, you CANNOT keep them in the barracks. You must check them in to the Armory. No, random people cannot just use your private weapon. Unless the armory Marines mess with it, in which case they are 100% in the wrong and could be subject to disciplinary action. It is still your property.
    I am unsure of the policy regarding locked cases or ammunition storage. The policy may vary depending on the armory. One thing I've heard of people doing is taking out their weapon's firing pin, and keeping it stored in a safe deposit box in the bank to ensure their weapon could not be fired by anyone random.

Hope you found my answers helpful.
    Yes, your answers are very helpful. Thanks for your response! I was aware of no BAH for single enlisted, but I had heard of Marines pulling together to afford an apartment elsewhere. Not saying that I would do it, it's more a matter of knowing what options are available and being prepared to use them should the need ever arise. As far as having things shipped to me; I hadn't considered that avenue. I don't play/own an x-box or video games, but I guess I could have things like my iPod, dslr and laptop sent to me later. How much room do you generally have in a shared barracks room? I'm still at home and I've already sold a lot of my stuff on eBay. I have a military seabag so I know what'll fit into one. Looking at it now, I honestly believe I could fit all of my belongings into two of these sans the firearms. It's good to know that the likelihood of other people using my firearms without my knowledge is low. I'll chalk that one up to rumor or a thing of the past. As for leaving all my stuff at home, I live in a family of 6 and as such I'd prefer that my family be able to utilize this space while I'm gone. Plus my Dad keeps joking that if I leave my stuff here he'll sell it when times get tougher. :P

This is correct. However, remember that you are officially living in your barracks room. You don't get BAH, and, depending on the command, you may be required to show up to field day and other barracks-related functions.

Basically, if you live out in town, the vast majority of your money is going to be going toward that apartment. If that's what you want to spend your money on, have fun.
    Understood. Thanks for the input and clarification!

This isn't as true as it used to be; I have a couple friends who work at the armory, and they both say that their CO would personally burn anyone who were to do such a thing. However, the fact is that the armory isn't open on weekends or early / late in the morning, so it's annoying to get your weapons at times.

A better idea is to put them into the same UHaul storage spot you keep the rest of your stuff. You can get a gun safe and trigger locks for said space, and you can also store ammo there.
    This is also good to know. Honestly, I wouldn't mind other Marines toying around with my hardier firearms one bit. But I have a few that retain some amount of sentimental value and I'd just prefer those firearms not be handled without my supervision. I'm assuming that since your Uhaul storage is just off-base that it's okay for you to store them there? To me, being able to access my firearms without hassling the MP's/armorers (unless I end up being one of those mos's myself) when I wanted to take them to the range, in addition to being able to keep my ammunition, would be more feasible. I already spend a lot of time around firearms and I'm sure that interest will carry over after boot and mos school.

Thanks for your input so far. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Edit; I'm sitting here thinking, and I have another question that is kind of related. I currently have a truck of my own that I've already paid for. I also pay for the tags, insurance, etc. This is going to sound kind of silly, but if you own your own vehicle, how do you go about getting it to base and where is it kept when you are not using it? Furthermore, do you really have a need for a vehicle if you plan to live in your barracks room or is it just an additional cost that you don't really need as an enlisted Marine? I'm trying to determine this because my brothers are approaching driving age. They'd have to learn stick, but I'd transfer it to one of them for their temporary first vehicle if it turns out I didn't really need it or if my family wanted to keep it running while I was gone.

Depends on where your first duty station ends up being. If you are based in the US, it's a simple matter of just going home on your first 96-hour vacation and driving your car back. If you are based overseas, you're out of luck though.

There is typically a parking lot right outside the barracks, and many Marines have their own cars. You can get by just fine without a car, because everything on base is within walking distance, so I don't advise Marines to BUY a car, but if you already have one it can come in handy.

If you are stationed at Camp Pendleton, it is a good idea to have some form of transportation. As yo may or may not know Camp Pendleton is a very large base and getting from one end of it to the other end is no small chore. Mainside has the big P.X. nice mvie theater, bowling center and hobby shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    Depends on where your first duty station ends up being. If you are based in the US, it's a simple matter of just going home on your first 96-hour vacation and driving your car back. If you are based overseas, you're out of luck though.

There is typically a parking lot right outside the barracks, and many Marines have their own cars. You can get by just fine without a car, because everything on base is within walking distance, so I don't advise Marines to BUY a car, but if you already have one it can come in handy.
    I'm looking forward to enlistment regardless of whether my first duty station is here or overseas. I love the United States and have no desire to live anywhere else, but I also wouldn't mind traveling to another country for a while. Parking provided and you drive the vehicle there yourself, understood. Figured it would be something simple like that, heh. I suppose it wouldn't be out of the question to store items other than firearms in your vehicle either, if you needed to make space in your barracks. Something like a capped truck bed or a semi-travel van.

If you are stationed at Camp Pendleton, it is a good idea to have some form of transportation. As yo may or may not know Camp Pendleton is a very large base and getting from one end of it to the other end is no small chore. Mainside has the big P.X. nice mvie theater, bowling center and hobby shops.
    Thanks for the input Old Marine! Looks like I'll be keeping my vehicle.

Well, I'm going to hit the hay. I've got to head to the RS tomorrow for PT and need to rest. Thank you kindly for your answers, Marines. Satisfactory and courteous as usual. Reading the vast amount of information posted on these boards and the replies to my own questions have helped me in my decision to enlist more than you all might know.

I took a different approach with my firearms. I kept them at home when I went to a new duty station. Mom didn't mind having them around so it wasn't a problem. Once I got there and got to know some people I'd end up keeping them at a married guy's house. I felt better than I would have felt leaving them in storage. If someone would have broken in and stolen them it would have been discovered much more quickly than at the storage unit I went to 1-2 times per month.

I would NOT store your firearms in a bank, or a Storage unit. DO NOT do that. Just for the Bank storage, not sure how you carry a firearm into a bank and not get arrest, considering it is a felony to have a firearm in bank, just not sure how you would store it there, not to mention have easy access to it, without someone freaking out. The reason why I dont think a storage unit is a good idea, is unless you are going by there daily, you do not have eyes on, nor does anyone else usually. Not to mention depending on your state you might have some limitations on, how and where you can store, ammo and firearms. I have my CCW, and this is the webpage I use to check the laws. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

When I get Marines that check in new. I have a few question I always ask. Do you have firearms? Is one of them. Do you plan to bring them down here? And if so, I will store them for you if you like. So my suggest would be, ask your NCOs when you get to your duty station about it. This option has seemed to be the easiest and safest way to keep your weapons secure, and giving you good access to them.

I harp on the firearms thing because a good way for use, law abiding citizen to keep our guns from being stolen is to make sure we are practicing good storage habits.

It isn't any more of a felony to take a firearm into a bank than it is to take it anywhere else. If the individual in question has a valid CCW he can carry it into a bank all day every day unless it is posted that weapons are not allowed. (And even then it depends on state law whether that posting carries any weight.)

SBYates; I agree with you that good storage habits are essential and I appreciate your input. I had thought about the security aspect and that is definitely something to consider. I use handgunlaw.us very often, it's an excellent website. I know how to pick locks and as such I understand how easy it can be to get into places that are supposedly "secure" and I've helped create a vandal/thief-resistant business shop in a relatively moderate-crime area. I've devised some rather interesting and easy methods to make a potential thief's life pretty miserable.

Echo-Four-Bravo; that is also a good idea. I hadn't thought about becoming friends with a married Marine I could trust and allowing him to store my firearms. And you are correct; certain banks and other establishments do post notices, but only certain states allow such signs to carry the weight of the law. I highly doubt I'd store any firearms in a bank, however; pandemonium would likely ensue. I met a guy local to my area who allowed his ccw to print while he was standing in a bank. The teller freaked and called the cops. No charges once he produced his LTCF, but it's definitely a spectacle I would like to avoid at all costs (especially as a member of the military).

We had active duty guys elect to live out in town. I don't know why. They still had to report to the same inspections as us, and in the event of an emergency there were required to be there. The only way the Duty NCO has to notify you is to bang on your door. You aren't there? Oh well. Not his problem.

Guns. I remember buying a Glock 22 while I was stationed at Pendleton. I am pretty sure I kept it and my ammo in my wall locker, unless an inspection was coming up ...in which case I'd take it to my vehicle. If I'd gotten caught with it, I'm sure I would have been in some pretty good trouble.

We had active duty guys elect to live out in town. I don't know why. They still had to report to the same inspections as us, and in the event of an emergency there were required to be there. The only way the Duty NCO has to notify you is to bang on your door. You aren't there? Oh well. Not his problem.
    Thanks for your response. So in other words, if you are living out on the town and there is suddenly a state of emergency, all your NCO is required to do to notify you of this is to bang on the door of your barracks room? Or are you talking about notification of inspections, etc? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this.

Guns. I remember buying a Glock 22 while I was stationed at Pendleton. I am pretty sure I kept it and my ammo in my wall locker, unless an inspection was coming up ...in which case I'd take it to my vehicle. If I'd gotten caught with it, I'm sure I would have been in some pretty good trouble.

My question to you is.....do you plan on joining the Marine Corps?

Thanks for your response. So in other words, if you are living out on the town and there is suddenly a state of emergency, all your NCO is required to do to notify you of this is to bang on the door of your barracks room?
    That is correct.

They are not required to go hunt your butt down or jump through hoops to locate someone who wants to be a rogue.

It is just like this situation: Married Marines who have base housing allowance have their phone numbers and addresses listed on a roster. If the "chit" hits the fan, they are called, and the number is incorrect or has been changed, it is the Married Marine's fault.

Thread Information