prior service enlistment question
Create Post

prior service enlistment question

I served in the infantry from 97-01, got out as a Cpl and was a Fire team leader and qualified Marksmanship Instructor. My reenlistment code was 1a. I am hoping that my additional year and a half in a reserve unit will keep my age of 33 from preventing reentry, which I believe is the best decision that I can make for my life.

I didn't exactly squander the time that I've had in the civlian life, as I recently earned a BS, but frankly believe that the structure that the Corps provided helped me maintain direction in my life. I also have no doubt that I have something to contribute as well.

That being said, I have some detractors that I worry could interfere with getting back in that are of a personal nature, and need to discuss them with someone really in the know without spelling out my life history on the internet. I have left messages very recently for some recruiters, but I want to be as prepared as possible in regards to knowing what challenges I may face to get back in and back on track before I talk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne1111 View Post
    I served in the infantry from 97-01, got out as a Cpl and was a Fire team leader and qualified Marksmanship Instructor. My reenlistment code was 1a. I am hoping that my additional year and a half in a reserve unit will keep my age of 33 from preventing reentry, which I believe is the best decision that I can make for my life.

I didn't exactly squander the time that I've had in the civlian life, as I recently earned a BS, but frankly believe that the structure that the Corps provided helped me maintain direction in my life. I also have no doubt that I have something to contribute as well.

That being said, I have some detractors that I worry could interfere with getting back in that are of a personal nature, and need to discuss them with someone really in the know without spelling out my life history on the internet. I have left messages very recently for some recruiters, but I want to be as prepared as possible in regards to knowing what challenges I may face to get back in and back on track before I talk to them.
    Welcome and thanks for your service.

You need to add a little more to your profile. Basically what you have written here in addition to what you have put already.

That being said, I think there are a few PSR's here that can help you. Hopefully they'll see the thread title and find you.

You could also try to ping one of the active Marine recruiters -- afraizaa. He might be able to help and bridge the gap.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Welcome and thanks for your service.

You need to add a little more to your profile. Basically what you have written here in addition to what you have put already.

That being said, I think there are a few PSR's here that can help you. Hopefully they'll see the thread title and find you.

You could also try to ping one of the active Marine recruiters -- afraizaa. And he might be able to bridge the gap and help.

Good luck.
    Thanks, and I'll be updating the rest of the info presently.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne1111 View Post
    Thanks, and I'll be updating the rest of the info presently.

You got it, thank you and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    You got it, thank you and good luck.
    I'm a bit unclear on the Operation question. I was in Desert Fox around Christmas of 99, but all we did was sit in our fighting holes for most of the time except for a few patrols while the planes did all the work. The only exception was a fairly serious incident when I was on watch, but I haven't been around here long enough to even think about talking about it with what I consider to be true combat veterans around. It meant something to me but in my book is relatively insignificant and not well documented to the best of my knowledge.

Thread Information