What does the Corps need?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What does the Corps need?

So I'm wanting to be a Marine, but I'm not a poolee yet, and I've been looking at MOSes, and I can't seem to make up my mind. I WANT to be infantry, but everyone at the recruiting office says I won't get that because my AFQT score is 92. So I want to know what the Marine Corps actually needs, so I can see I want to do any of the MOSes it needs.

If you want infantry you can get it. Tell them that's what you want and you don't want to ship without that contract. If you want to know exactly what jobs are available speak to a recruiter and they can look it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by iamxalex View Post
    So I'm wanting to be a Marine, but I'm not a poolee yet, and I've been looking at MOSes, and I can't seem to make up my mind. I WANT to be infantry, but everyone at the recruiting office says I won't get that because my AFQT score is 92. So I want to know what the Marine Corps actually needs, so I can see I want to do any of the MOSes it needs.
    Nobody here, except for maybe a couple recruiters, can tell you what the present needs are in the Marine Corps.

The question you have is best asked of a recruiter.

Minimum Required ASVAB Scores and Education Level

Marine Corps
    ASVAB Score - Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32. A very few exceptions are made (about one percent) for some exceptionally otherwise qualified recruits with scores as low as 25.

Education - As with the Air Force, those without a high school education are ineligible. The Marine Corps limits GED enlistments to no more than five percent per year. Those with a GED must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to even be considered.
    As with the other services, the Marine Corps offers advanced enlistment rank for college credits. However, of all the services, the Marines are the most restrictive in this area. The maximum advanced rank for college credits is E-2, where the other services will give college credit advanced rank up to E-3 (E-4 in the Army).

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjo...vabminimum.htm

ASVAB AFQT

What is the AFQT?
    When you have taken the ASVAB for military enlistment qualification, the item in your scorecard called the AFQT is what you need to focus on. The Armed Forces Qualification Test or AFQT is the combination of four ASVAB subtests—Word Knowledge (WK), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Paragraph Comprehension (PC) and Mathematics Knowledge (MK). The term AFQT may also refer to the score computed from these four components. It is sometimes referred to as the ASVAB score, but this can be misleading because an overall score is not issued for the ASVAB.

How is it calculated?
    The scores from the four ASVAB subtests mentioned are used to compute the AFQT raw score, which is then converted into a percentile score.

To calculate your AFQT raw score, these steps apply:
    • Add the scores from Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension subtests. (WK + PC)
    • Take the sum and convert it to a scaled score, known as the Verbal Expression (VE) score, which ranges from 20 to 62.
    • The VE score is doubled, and then added to the Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) score and the Mathematics Knowledge (MK) score to get the AFQT raw score. (2[VE] + AR RS + MK RS = AFQT RS)
    • The AFQT raw score is converted to a percentile score, which describes how well you did in comparison to many other ASVAB test participants.
    http://www.study-asvab.com/asvab-afqt.html

ASVAB Scores Required for the Marine Corps

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...lusmcasvab.htm

Thread Information