Marine Corps Retirement Home
Create Post

Marine Corps Retirement Home

I noticed a while back when looking at my Leave and Earnings Statements that evey month 50 cents was getting deducted for the "MC Retirement Home". The Marine Corps Retirement Home? What is this? I never knew one existed! But here I was, paying for it every month.

So not one to leave a mystery lying, I chased it down, and have FINALLY figured out what the deal is with that 50 cents.

A Retirement Home for each branch is located in Gulfport, Mississippi, and in Washington D.C.
    In order to be eligible to live there, veterans must have served at least 50% of their time as enlisted, warrant officer, or limited duty officer, and meet at least one
    of the following conditions:

1.Are 60 years of age or older; and were discharged or released under honorable conditions after 20 or more years of active service.

2.Are determined to be incapable of earning a livelihood because of a service-connected disability incurred in the line of duty.

3.Served in a war theater during a time of war declared by Congress or were eligible for hostile-fire special pay and were discharged or released under honorable conditions; and are determined to be incapable of earning a livelihood because of injuries, disease or disability.

4.Served in a women’s component of the armed forces before June 12, 1948; and are determined to be eligible for admission due to compelling personal circumstances.

Veterans are not eligible if they have been convicted of a felony, or have alcohol, drug, or psychiatric problems. Married couples are allowed, but they must be both eligible in their own right.

For information, call 1-800-322-3527, or 1-800-422-9988, or visit www.afrh.gov

There was contention years ago about the legality of this deduction. If it doesn't qualify as a charitable deduction, it is an illegal deduction IMHO.

Is it an organization listed under the Combined Federal Campaign?

It's considered a federal agency. Not a charity.
    Same concept as Social Security. You pay into it whether you like it or not, whether you'll personally benefit from it or not, and that money benefits current recipients who qualify.

I honestly don't mind. It's $6 bucks a year. I'll gladly let them take $6 a year so some disabled veterans can live in a retirement home.

It just struck me as odd that it had never, ever been mentioned or explained. It was just a cryptic deduction listed on our LESs, that would not have meant anything unless I had investigated. This deduction isn't even mentioned or described in the Basic Pay and Allowances MCI.

Most people don't even look at their LES, let alone try to figure out what everything is. Good for you for making sure it was a legit deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by Parks View Post
    Most people don't even look at their LES, let alone try to figure out what everything is. Good for you for making sure it was a legit deduction!
    Looks like you made Cpl,Congrats,Semper Fidelis.

So does anyone know if I can bring my wife to this place when the time comes?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Only if she served and meets all of the criteria in the first post.

Best bet is to call the phone number or vist the website.

Don't know why your asking being only 28 years old ?

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Rocky C; 09-21-13 at 08:38 AM.

I was asking because I was involved in a conversation with my parents about how they are having to pay for my Grandparents retirement home. I want to ensure that I am making appropriate arrangements for my wife and I now so our children don't get stuck caring for us like that.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outstanding Brother.
    I did the same thing so my Daughter would not have to go through the same thing.

Thread Information