Several questions, would greatly appreciate answers.
Create Post

Several questions, would greatly appreciate answers.

I'm a junior in HS, will turn 17 next month. I plan on getting a golf scholarship to a D1 program. Pardon me, I'm not too informed (haven't talked to a recruiter). Will the ROTC program interfere with my college golf schedule/practice? What is the minimum amount of time officers must serve? I could possibly be good enough to become a professional golfer, if I am good enough will I be able to try to play pro golf while I'm inactive?

Thank you in advance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominick140 View Post
    I'm a junior in HS, will turn 17 next month. I plan on getting a golf scholarship to a D1 program. Pardon me, I'm not too informed (haven't talked to a recruiter). Will the ROTC program interfere with my college golf schedule/practice? What is the minimum amount of time officers must serve? I could possibly be good enough to become a professional golfer, if I am good enough will I be able to try to play pro golf while I'm inactive?

Thank you in advance.
    You can bet that ROTC will probably interfere with golf practice and competitions.

http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/military_requirements.aspx Provides info on service requirements.

If you are on inactive status, you can do almost anything legal to support yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick140 View Post

Thank you in advance.
    Pursue your golf dream first. Being a Marine is a full time committment and has to be your number one priority whether you want it to be or not. Even more so if you are an officer.

Oh well,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Do you want to be the next Brad Kasal (I know he's enlisted but) or the next Tiger Woods?

The question you have to decide is - do you want to lead Marines or play golf?

With the tempo of things today it's very unlikely you can do both.

Credits
    Savings
    go forth. Play Golf
    ENJOY

I agree. Pick one and devote your time to it. Personally, if I were you, do the golf thing first. Stick with it until you're like 25. If you haven't made the pro tour by then, you're probably never going to. And at that point, you'd still be young enough to join the Corps if it's something you really want to do. Besides, athletic scholarships to D1 schools are hard to come by. Take advantage of that opportunity and see where it takes you.

No man can serve two masters.

Seriously....

There are hundreds, if not thousands of D1 athletes who are in ROTC. In almost all cases the ROTC staff will work with the athletic teams regarding deconfliction of practice and competitions - and in almost all cases, priority will be given to your athletic commitments.

Now, if you are talking about enlisting rather than going through ROTC - then that addresses a different question.

As far as competing professionally while serving on active duty as a commissioned officer... don't bet on it with any kind of regularity. Could you play enough to maintain your PGA card, probably, depending upon deployment schedule (and who knows what that will be six years or more from now when you hit the fleet). Could you participate in the tour while active - doubtful - at least on your first fleet tour.

Here is something to consider:

Marines compete at Cherry Point for spot on All-Marine team

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/58991/m...m#.TymmAoFSzc4

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    haha, you can play golf 'til you are 80 years old. I'm sure you can put it on hold to serve your country.

Thread Information