boot camp myths? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I went in the Corps in 1963. Yes, there were some fights among recruits; I was involved in several as well as "smokers" that was held. I had boxed Golden Gloves, and the DI's wanted me to represent the platoon. I did, and I lost.

As far as DI's thumping you; it happened; but it was deserved. Everyone learned from the experience. In NAM, I wish it had been rougher.

My son, joined in 1986; we compared Boot Camp experiences. He said no one had fights; the DI's didn't thump. IMO, he missed out on the learning curve.

Your parents are just being parents; you should be grateful that they are concerned. I was, but I've never been prouder of my experiences in Boot Camp, as well as my son's experience.

Best of luck!

Semper Fi!

I'm hoping that the idea "conflict resolution" relative to this discusion would generally be low on someone's prioritized list of concerns regarding choosing this direction in life. Regardless, I think getting contradictory statements from any source will do little to change your Dads mind

To be clear OP, that's a really fancy way of saying that what you seem to be focused on (in my opinion) is a lot less important than just about everything else that will affect your life if you join the Marine Corps. That isn't being critical either, since nearly everyone that thinks about signing up does the exact same thing. Truth is it is hard to describe how it is to someone that hasn't been there. The mystery of it is part of the experience in my opinion.

I said what I did the way I did to get you to realize that you probably won't change your parents minds about this if that is your goal, and letting your expectations of what might happen in boot camp be a big part of your decision of whether or not to join shouldn't happen just in case that was on your mind.

I was rushed for time in my first post, and probably should have waited till I had more.

Only fights i saw were between to DIs and another fight between two recruits.. Its all blown out of proportion

Credits
    Savings
    Did it occur to you that maybe they just don't want you to get put in harms way.. and that's his excuse...

I only recall one serious fight while I was in boot camp-not much different from high school then or now.Seldom were the DI's physical with us -they didn't need to be we were all scared shi**ess of them.I once got a love tap to the gut while I was daydreaming but startled me more than hurt me.all the stuff about brutality is hogwash-you can be tough without being brutal.I went through boot camp in the fall of 1961.

Credits
    Savings
    I should just not answer this, but yes I saw it happen to the guy who had the top bunk from me. He was a real screw up and about six of the guys
    in the platoon gave him a blanket party one night after lights out. a couple
    held him down in his bunk while others hit him with socks with bars of soap in them. No one hit him in the face, but they did beat the **** out him. I
    know your going to ask where were the DIs, well we were in the 3rd batt
    in 1959 and we were in qunset huts and the DIs hut was next door. It all
    took about a minute and eveybody was back in there racks. The kid was
    a screw, but so was I and I thought I might be next, it never happened
    again but the kid did not graduate with us, I don't think he ever said
    anything about what happened to him.

No one will lay their hands on you recruit or Drill Instructor in anger people get sent home as a result Marine or Recruit.

You can NOT fight or "beat up" on other Recruits. One recruit hit another recruit after lights and broke his jaw in 3 places. He was admin discharged asap while the victim was medically discharged. They break up fights before fist are even thrown. Same as MCT when you're a Marin, you will not fight each other because the instructors will stop it. I use to stop fights also because its childish to see or hear what they fight over.

Why get kicked out over someone telling you shut the f up or over some skittles that came out of your MRE. Suck it up.....keep it moving.....

Credits
    Savings
    In 1975 We got trained hard and sometimes it felt like we got beat up but We all made it and I sure am glad I can say that I'm a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinPlog View Post
    OK so my dad was a Marine around 30 years ago and nowI am trying to get him and my mom to sign for me. We got into a fight that people get beat up a lot in boot camp by the other recruits. He also said that most people go in because they have no where else to turn. He was in the reserves so he dosent know what its like after boot camp. Can anybody tell me if its changed since then. Thanks for the help.

Other than the errors, good question. I graduated December 18th, 2009 and there were fights. Not going to lie, but they were few and far between. Normally didn't go to far either. Nothing like Full Metal Jacket, with the soap and all. As for nowhere else to turn, yes and no. Some, like me had scholarships, I joined for the Title and to serve my country. Others may not have anywhere to go, i.e. immigrants (no offense to anyone that is, seen it is all) people who's lives are on the downward slope or those who just want a challenge. Hope it helps and hope it all works out for you.

Thread Information