I got a DWI and I regret the decisions I've made
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

I got a DWI and I regret the decisions I've made

Hello everyone, About 8 months ago I felt like there was nowhere left to turn. I didn't enjoy anything and looked forward to nothing. One day a friend of mine suggested the Marine Corps and asked if I had ever thought about it. At the time he was only a Poolee. Now he is a full-fledged Marine and made squad leader straight out of Boot camp. He inspired me to enlist and so I did.

About three months went by and I was training everyday and there was no stopping me. Unfortunately I really messed up. I moved into an apartment last minute(I was homeless prior, long story) and lived around some bad people. I lost track of my goals and started hanging out with the wrong crowd. Shortly after I got a DWI. I kick myself in the butt everyday for making such an imbecile decision. Now, I've cut off all ties to anybody but my immediate family so I can stay on track. I started going to PT every week and exercising by myself in between. I told my recruiter about the DWI right away and was very upfront with him. I only hope that I'll still be able to join.

My question is, do you think I'll still be able to join and would you want someone such as myself serving alongside you on the front-lines or wherever I end up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpshin09 View Post

My question is, do you think I'll still be able to join and would you want someone such as myself serving alongside you on the front-lines or wherever I end up?

While you may not think of it as being criminal, to the military it is. Your DWI will require a waiver.....and no, the Marines here have no idea if your waiver will be approved or not or how long it will take.

Criminal History Waivers

Two to five serious offenses

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...minal.-um-.htm

People make mistakes, Marines make mistakes. Life is not about the mistakes we made, but more about how we recover. That said, DUI's are not good in the eyes of the Corps, especially. But, make that your last alcohol related event and you should be able to recover from it.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for your answers. Every bit helps. No matter what, I will keep working towards this. I won't stop trying to be a US Marine.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Some mistakes are fun to make the second time but DWI and drugs is not one of them.

I agree.....learn from your mistakes.....give your ALL to the recruiter....be honest and forthright and let the chips fall where they will.

If you do get a waiver....keep in mind that the Marine Corps has zero tolerance for alcohol and drug abuse.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Anyone who says here, or in private, that he or she has never made stupid mistakes, or choices, is not being truthful.

while you are continuing to progress, if the waiver does not go through it is not the end all, continue the path you are on and something else will open up. If you slide back that will be a vicious perpetual cycle and you will continue to ask yourself "what if" as you age.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    People make mistakes, Marines make mistakes. Life is not about the mistakes we made, but more about how we recover. That said, DUI's are not good in the eyes of the Corps, especially. But, make that your last alcohol related event and you should be able to recover from it.
    That's like saying,NO SEX AGAIN,Semper Fidelis.

You’re asking for an opinion so I’ll give you my spin. It depends… Sometimes mistakes are isolated incidents and sometimes they are a culmination of events that preceded the event, like you never got caught before. Two scenarios… Number 1 kid get good grades all through high school, goes to school every day, plays a couple varsity sports. We’ll say wrestling team Captain, has a job and absolutely no discipline problems in school. Number 2 kid gets f’s and D’s in school because he doesn’t try, skips school, smokes pot, is constantly in trouble for being disrespectful in school. If they both get a DWI, the first kid made a stupid mistake. The second has a lot more work to do. Two extremes, but you get my point.

You've asked this in another thread (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108255) and was answered by a full time recruiter, I doubt that answer has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by elliscraig12 View Post
    You've asked this in another thread (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108255) and was answered by a full time recruiter, I doubt that answer has changed.
    Elliscraig12, just to let you know, the link you provided to Can I get in?.........was started by wrenae06, who's a female. This topic was started by Gumpshin09, who's a male.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Elliscraig12, just to let you know, the link you provided to Can I get in?.........was started by wrenae06, who's a female. This topic was started by Gumpshin09, who's a male.

Somebody is drinking and seein' doubles!

Thread Information