Hue City
Create Post

Thread: Hue City

Hue City

Today marks the beginning of the Battle of Hue City I spent the next 40 + days there in battle. So many brother warriors were lost and wounded. Lord Rest our Brother Warriors.

Good morning Doug - 40 days in that hell hole, damn. My battalion was not sent into Hue until around the 14th of Feb. Boo Coo scuttlebutt about how the 2/5 was being chewed up and all the casualties they were taking. I hadn't even been in country for 30 days when we went into Hue.

The 2/5 took the south side of the river and we went in on the north side, tasked with taking the citadel, initially we went up against the east wall. A ball-buster and a half. When it was over we ended up taking 50% casualties, some of our units losing 75%. We had cooks and pog's on the line, not enough people. The rain, overcast skies, freezing at night, the smells and the flies from corps rotting for weeks.

I came out of Hue changed forever, I had become a part of the mean green killing machine. I had become a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Good morning Doug - 40 days in that hell hole, damn. My battalion was not sent into Hue until around the 14th of Feb. Boo Coo scuttlebutt about how the 2/5 was being chewed up and all the casualties they were taking. I hadn't even been in country for 30 days when we went into Hue.

The 2/5 took the south side of the river and we went in on the north side, tasked with taking the citadel, initially we went up against the east wall. A ball-buster and a half. When it was over we ended up taking 50% casualties, some of our units losing 75%. We had cooks and pog's on the line, not enough people. The rain, overcast skies, freezing at night, the smells and the flies from corps rotting for weeks.

I came out of Hue changed forever, I had become a part of the mean green killing machine. I had become a Marine.

We will never be the same and we will never forget! Semper Fi and God bless my brother.

Credits
    Savings
    I was also in Hue with 1/5 2nd. plt. charlie co. and yes Hue changed me forever

Thread Information