How exactly does this work?
Create Post

Question How exactly does this work?

So I DEP'd in 20120103 and while at MEPS I signed an "open contract". The Marine told me that everyone pretty much signs an open contract so I had no worries. I told my recruiter I want to be in the Avionics field and he said he "sent it up" and I guess I am waiting for someone higher up to approve that field for me? I'm not sure what happens from here....do I sign a MOS contract? Or do they just stick me where they want me? I made a 69 on the ASVAB and my line scores were in the 110-115 range.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-30-12 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Marine, not guy

I would think with an open contract they would put you where they need you,Semper Fidelis.

You will sign a MOS contract right before shipping to MCRD.

You must trust what your recruiter tells you...they have no reason to lie to you today.

Everyone Contracts as 'Open Contract'. When ASVAB score are released from the MEPS then the Recruiter can talk about what you are qualified for. The Recruiter will check the Criteria for each of the Aviation Programs and go over what is available to you.

Thanks Marines, I guess its a waiting game from here.

Yea, I wasn't too confident at first that I was being told the correct thing about having to sign an open contract.. But yea, that's how it's done. You sign an open contract and usually you tell your recruiter the top 3 jobs that you want and he'll keep checking until, hopefully, one of those jobs comes available.

If you don't get a job before you ship you could ship as an open contract but it's still dependent on if you actually want to ship as an open contract or not. If it's not what you want.. don't ship. Make sure you have what you want before you go or you could end up with a job that will highly unsatisfy you for the next few years.

Thread Information