Changing MOS before boot camp
Create Post

Changing MOS before boot camp

Hello Marines,

I joined the DEP on 20110901 and I signed a contract for Intel. I had not done much research on this field before I signed for it. I was eager to join and just decided on that. However, after doing more research and asking a few Marines about it I don't think it's for me. I realize it's a great field to be in and that I should be grateful but I'm really wanting to switch out of it. I have heard that once you're in the Intel field you can't really get out, so I would rather get out of it now then have the Marine Corps spend money on my training and then I end up hating this job. I ship on 20120806. Is there any possible way that I could change it? I will ship with Intel if I have to though. The most important thing to me is being a Marine.

Thank you in advance for your responses,
    Poolee Reider

Talk to your recruiter and tell him what job you actually want and if the job becomes available you should be able to get it. If it's not the job you want I wouldn't ship.. it's your next few years that you'll have to live with either some job that you enjoy or possibly hate.

But yes, it's possible to get your job changed before you ship.

Have you decided on the program you REALLY want? That is the next question your recruiter is going to ask. After that, he'll probably want to know if you're going to change your mind...again!

If it's not the job you want I wouldn't ship.
    I really wouldn't want it to come to that. I want to be a Marine above all and I don't want to get looked down upon for doing that. Would I just be pushed back or would I be discharged if it did end up coming to that point?

Have you decided on the program you REALLY want?
    There are a few that I am definitely interested in. Field artillery, combat support, or infantry. Any of those would be fine with me. I'm sure there has to be slots open in at least one of those fields.

Thanks a lot for your help, Marines. I appreciate it.

Just tell your recruiter that you'd like another job if possible and give him those three that you mentioned. He'll check for ship dates with those jobs and if they become available he'll let you know.

Just letting you know that infantry fills up fast so if that's the main job that you want.. stay on your recruiter's ass about it until you get it. Seeing as you don't ship until August just make sure you're making an effort to get your job changed with your recruiter and you should be able to get a job that you'd probably find more enjoyable.

Also, if you want to see what jobs are open currently ask your recruiter to show it to you from his computer.. My recruiter atleast showed me my options before I chose mine.. I had like.. 1 job available and I didn't want it. I waited until after October 1st (this is when they release all the jobs apparently) and i got what I wanted, infantry.

I really hope infantry is open. That's what I'm going to try to get. If it's not open am I just screwed or is there any way that I can wait for it even though I've already signed?

Wait until October 1st, talk to your recruiter about it, and ask for Infantry then. That's when the jobs for next year come out. If you really want it wait.

I got the news today that I will be able to get a new contract for infantry. Thanks a lot for your help, Marines.

Thread Information