Do I need a specific degree to be a pilot?
Create Post

Do I need a specific degree to be a pilot?

Just wondering if it makes any difference if my college degree is in basket weaving or aeronautical engineering.

I ask because I knew an artillery officer who's degree was aeronautical engineering, so I don't think its very "Hey Lieutenant, you know physics. You're a pilot" but does it mean they will let a history major fly if you meet all the other requirements?

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You do not need a specific degree for the flight program, having a strong math and science background certainly won't hurt you in flight school though.

All a decent pilot needs is a certain degree of sobriety and a fix on common sense. General

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaMarine View Post
    Just wondering if it makes any difference if my college degree is in basket weaving or aeronautical engineering.

I ask because I knew an artillery officer who's degree was aeronautical engineering, so I don't think its very "Hey Lieutenant, you know physics. You're a pilot" but does it mean they will let a history major fly if you meet all the other requirements?
    You should major in basket weaving. Then weave a big basket, fill up a balloon with all that O-10 hot air, and drift on up and outta here.

In WW2 most German and Jap polets were enlisted

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    You should major in basket weaving. Then weave a big basket, fill up a balloon with all that O-10 hot air, and drift on up and outta here.
    That's funny as hell! Sorry Matt

Its fine Kim, haha.

Its fine Kim, haha.
    Hey, thanks for having a sense of humor!!

Been seeing a lot of thin skin on this site lately.

Since I'm a Winger, here's my advice:

It doesn't really matter what degree you have to be a pilot. However, that being said, pilots are looked on more favorably if their degree is geared toward one of the sciences or science related fields. Most pilots I have known generally have had degrees in Physics, Math, some kind of Engineering (usually Aeronautical, Mechanical, or Electrical), or some other field. I even have met one that had an Astronomy degree and another with a Geography degree amd they were pilots. There is a lot of Math usually involved in flying so those kind of degrees definitely help.

I don't know though, I often wonder sometimes how far one could advance career-wise with a degree in basket weaving

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I don't know though, I often wonder sometimes how far one could advance career-wise with a degree in basket weaving
    It pretty much depends on whether or not the basket has a silver lining.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    All a decent pilot needs is a certain degree of sobriety and a fix on common sense. General

That is actually untrue. Most pilots fly drunk/hungover all the time.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Taking this question back to a bit more serious side.....

Getting a pilot slot and then making it through flight school has always been a highly competative process but it has become even more so over the past few years. A bad econmy means fewer pilots want to get out, which translates to few slots for incomming pilots. Combine this with the draw down that is comming and the trend to substitute drones for piloted aircraft and you have massive competition for the pilot slots that are available.

The following is part of a post from another list serve by a Naval Aacdemy mom:

"My daughter and many of her flight school classmates got those DOR offers to get out altogether. It was shocking because she had an outstanding USNA career and was doing excellent in early flight school. It was not a result of her performance there as her grades were up and standing fine. It was the end of the year and they had too many pilots, older officers were not retiring at anticipated rate and reduction in force budget cuts. The only class mates retained were those speaking certain foreign languages.
    While we still cannot believe the government invested so much in her and she had the grades, rate, rank, she does ultra marathons and not a single ding in her in her career--just let her go with an 8 year commitment to Reserves and honorable discharge. We are all on Navy withdrawal. I had no clue this could happen. It's very hard emotionally and even my USNA family are afraid to talk to me thinking it's bad news or that she was kicked out or failed in some way which is far from true. So be prepared for this possibility which old Naval Academy alums are telling me is common occurrence in flight school and in this economy and with wars ending and military budgets being cut will likely happen more. Keep it in mind that it happens but don't worry about it so if it happens to your pilot to be you are not blind sided as we were."

My daughter has about 5 or 6 friends from recent Naval Academy classes of 09,10,& 11 that have been offered DOR's out of flight school. A few of them were able to make lateral transfers to other career fields but most are forced to leave.

At this point my daughter is glad she did not pursue an air option and is a very happy ground Marine.

Thread Information