What schools can Marines attend?
Create Post

What schools can Marines attend?

After your MOS training what schools & courses can you attend ? (Ranger School for example)

Moved to the Ask A Marine forum so Marines can best answer this.

Thanks for moving it

Credits
    Savings
    That's a huge question but some of the schools I've been to,

Infantry squad leaders course
    Urban sniper course at tier 1
    Designated marksman course
    Personal security detail school at tier 1
    Combat hunter
    Machine gunners course
    Non lethal weapons course
    Mcmap instructors course

Ranger school is open to Marine infantry but its hard to get a seat but why would you want to go to ranger school, join the army..

We don't wear tabs in the Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It depends on your MOS. If you aren't Recon or MarSoc, forget Ranger School. The average Marine infantry NCO doesn't need that school anyway.

What other schools do you have in mind?

Jump school? Forget that too unless you have an MOS requiring jump training (rigger, Recon, MarSoc, ANGLICO, and very few others). It used to be you could ask for jump school as a reenlistment incentive, but I don't know if they still do that.

I wasn't saying I wanted to go to Ranger school although I have a brother in the Army 75th Ranger Regiment currently in Afghanistan. I just wanted to know the opportunities Marines have outside of their MOS school.

Thanks both of you btw

Once you get your MOS assigned and complete school....there is a training officer hidden somewhere who will determine what training is needed. You will be assigned to whatever slots need to be filled.

I don't know what MOS you are going to have but I have a hard time seeing a Airwing communications MOS being sent to jump school or the like.

03-- Will be my MOS I'm going for 0351

Basically the Corps will send you to what is required, first, then what they think you NEED, second, and third, what you WANT.

In other words, if it will help you do your job, and/or be a better Marine, then they'll send you.

If it's just 'whiz bang cool' and doesn't much pertain to your line of work (Airborne, for example if you aren't in a unit that requires it) then it's unlikely as others have said.

Thread Information