Writing to The Recruits
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Writing to The Recruits

I am a mother of a New Marine and while at my sons Graduation we noticed, Some had no family there with them and found out some didn't receive any letters while in Boot. Is there anyway to write to New Recruits that are currently in Boot without having an address for them.

Don't know. You could always write a letter to the Commanding General of the recruit depot and ask them.

If that doesn't work, the Red Cross has a letter writing campaign for troops who are deployed to combat zones. Lifting the morale of a Marine on the battlefield would be a worthwhile endeavor also.

Good luck and, for future reference, please let us know what you find out as others may wish to do the same thing.

Marine Friend Free Member RipLi's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I'd like to write to lonely recruits also. My niece is going into the Marine Corps in June out of high school. She informed me last week she never wants to see me again. She told me not to write her or attend her graduation! Sad huh? She said the same to her own mother too. When she is actually there she may change her mind! I hope so!

Good luck people.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tonestir View Post
    I am a mother of a New Marine and while at my sons Graduation we noticed, Some had no family there with them and found out some didn't receive any letters while in Boot. Is there anyway to write to New Recruits that are currently in Boot without having an address for them.
    Congrats Mom !!!

Sure there is.
    You can make Friends right here with some of the Poolees/DEP and you can write to them if they so desire.

Become a member at www.parrisisland.yuku.com.

They have a pretty good "stand alone Marine" network.

I like Rhode Islands idea best though. I'm sure that if those poolies who don't have parental support just pm one of us in this thread, there will be no shortage of letters @ mail call.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineDAD92 View Post
    I like Rhode Islands idea best though. I'm sure that if those poolies who don't have parental support just pm one of us in this thread, there will be no shortage of letters @ mail call.
    I like when we take care of " our own " on this Forum.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Credits
    Savings
    I am new to this site and just want to thank everyone for all your great ideas. I will be contacting the Red Cross to see about writing to those who are deployed,and going to the Poolie Forum to make friends there and checking into the stand alone network.

RipLi
    I'm sorry to hear that , breaks my heart but like you said she may change her mind and I hope that she does. It has been and incredible journey for me so far. My son has made me very proud not that I wasn't before because I was and now my oldest son is going to follow in his footsteps.

Once again Thanks to All !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    I like when we take care of " our own " on this Forum.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky
    I had posted my first response before I read yours. We can do alot of good things within this network right here, I agree.

I will be honored to help in any way I can. I miss writing those letters, there is something unique about sending and receiving snail-mail that gets lost with all the technology today.

There is a few programs that have facebook pages etc like posted above. There was a guy in my platoon that didn't have a family because they were in Africa.. he's part of my family so he walked around with us. My family thought it was strange.. they don't understand.

I kind of skimmed quickly through the posts and think it hasn't been mentioned....

It is a sad deal to never get mail. It can make or break some. A great idea is connecting with some of the poolee's here. When they are in their phases of training and getting their letters, ask them if they know in particular some of their fellow recruits struggling. They can give exact names, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RipLi View Post
    I'd like to write to lonely recruits also. My niece is going into the Marine Corps in June out of high school. She informed me last week she never wants to see me again. She told me not to write her or attend her graduation! Sad huh? She said the same to her own mother too. When she is actually there she may change her mind! I hope so!

Good luck people.
    I am pretty sure she will change her mind when she goes there. You learn to love people you thought you hated when you constantly have someone shouting in your face. Speaking from experience, any mail is good mail at boot camp. We noticed a few recruits weren't getting any, so a bunch of us wrote home with their address and took care of them.

Mail is one of the few things that makes you feel human still at boot camp, and regardless of what she says,I would send her letters even if she doesn't respond.

Quote Originally Posted by tonestir View Post
    There is a thread on this subject in the poolee hall at:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=106214

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    There is a thread on this subject in the poolee hall at:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=106214

Marine Family members don't have posting privileges in the poolee forum.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Marine Family members don't have posting privileges in the poolee forum.
    Will I be able to reply to the post ?

Thread Information