Intelligence career, 02xx/26xx - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's about what I did. Thai & Lao language training at NSA - 1st assignment at 1st COMPRADCO (now 3rd RADBN) at kaneohe Bay - more TADs than I can count, mostly Southeast Asia and an IO float with CTF 90 - next to San Miguel PI and Phu Bai VN. Got out after 6 yrs. Bored. Went back in as USAF instructor in Airborne Voice Inercept school, 9 month TDY to Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom, Howard Payne College to finish my degree. PCSs to Cam Ranh Bay (RC130) with TDYs to Korat (EC121), Utapao, and Oki (both RC135). Got out after 4, went USAFR as Radio Op/Loadmaster with 305th Rescue. Got out after 4. Hired by NSA. PCS to Panama, Bangkok (5 yrs!), and Frankfurt. Went USMCR after 8 years as civilian! Joined 32nd Interrogator/Translator Team, G2, 4th MARDIV then transferred to USMCR Cryptologic Program. Recalled for Desert Storm. Keep in mind --- broken time is not conducive to expeditious advancement!!!!

Staying in sounds like a good idea. I've heard that sometimes you're not given the option though? There's only so much room. Would I have a feasible chance of staying in, assuming I do well enough?

Don't know considering announcements of huge cuts. I was in during the time of big build ups for Vietnam. They were begging people to stay in. When I decided to get out of the Air force, I was offered my choice of Arabic or Hebrew language school with a follow on assignment flying in the Med. I tirned it down.

I would love the chance to learn a language, hopefully I'll do well on the DLAB and go from there. Thank you all for the help!

If you do well on the DLAB, see if you can get the linguist option in your contract as that will guarantee you a 267X MOS; if that is something you are interested in. I would bet that your chances of being a crypto ling or getting a language from the 0200/2600 MOS option would be slim since there is already a dedicated option for such MOSs.

Considering what your options for the future are good and all, but dedicate your time now to getting the contract you want and getting through your training. Anything beyond just the fact that you could get hired by the government or as a contractor at this point in kinda silly.

Depending on what happens in your pursuit of becoming a Marine, it all may be wasted time. You may not make it through boot or MCT or even MOS school. And even if you make it through that, you may not be employed using that skill or it is possible that you may learn a skill that is not very lucrative. You also may not enjoy the work that you end up doing.

I know for myself, I love my profession as a linguist, but it's hard to imagine doing the same thing for certain government agencies given the vast differences between the two.

Concentrate your efforts on those things which are obtainable in the near-future and once you have become a Marine, begin to gain experience, and decide that you enjoy what you do so much that you would like to do it as a civilian then go for it.

I tend to get ahead of myself, and I have back up plans if the Marines don't work out. Thanks for the honest feedback. One step at a time, that's what I keep telling myself.

Find out if you have a knack for languages right now. Look for adult ed classes at a local school. Various immigrant groups sometimes offer classes in their languages. I keep my Thai and Lao up by volunteering as an interpreter in the local court system. I have even learned some Hmong that way. I periodically teach ESL to someone whose first language is one of my second languages. There are ways!

I have taken some Spanish and some ASL, and I normally would enroll in a class however I am already full for spring term. I hope to leave for boot soon after. I'll look online though and try to keep fresh.
    Sergeant said we need the medical records to even get me to MEPS, so still waiting on the hospital.

If you've got some Spanish, try to polish it. I attended a Catholic boys high school with rigid academic and disciplinary requirements. A faculty member heard me mumbling some non-academic Spanish (I have some Puerto Rican cousins) during rifle practice (yes, we had a rifle team! Undefeated 1952-59! I was on the team 53-57.)

Back to languages. After my performance at the rifle range, I was main lined into a language intensive program --- 4 yrs Latin, 3 Spanish, 1 each Russian and Greek. Then I was one of 3 USMC in a 21 body Thai class at NSA Apr-Dec 61. The Marines finished 1-2-3. 8 (including the 3 USMC) were brought back Jan-May 62 for Lao. Again 1-2-3. I received meritorious CPL from Gen Shoup for writing a Lao language text book. When I did my degree I needed some hours to be considered full time by the VA so I took a bunch and French and turned it into a double minor in Mathematics and Linguistics (Major International Politics). For my job in Panama I was required to be bi-lingual. I did a refresher course prior to going south and attended the Panama Canal Co Training Center for additional training. When I went back to the USMCR in 82, I joined the 32nd Interrogator/Translator Team. The Team was broken into 2 sub-teams --- Alpha Those who spoke French and were working on another language and Bravo Those who spoke another language and were working on French. I became the Bravo Plt Sgt and Team Training NCO. When I transferred to Bangkok in 86 they wanted me to be a level 4 ASAP and it had been 16 years since I spoke the language! I spent 3 hrs a day Mon-Fri for 6 months with a private tutor. When I was selected for assignment to Germany in 91, I began German classes at the Goethe Institute in Bangkok. I was the only round-eye in the class. The language of instruction was Thai. So I studied German in Thai! Being married to a German helped. The point of all this babbling (yes, there is a point) is that once you prove you can do well in some 2nd language, there is tendency to train in a 3rd, 4th, etc. A guy I worked with in Germany spoke German, Spanish, Farsi, Arabic, and Urdu. He has since added Icelandic to his collection!

Wow, that is incredible. I'll brush up on the Spanish a bit. I'm taking a full course load of programming classes, working 30 hours a week, poolee functions, pt on my own and trying to memorize as much as I can. Keeping busy!

I dont think I saw anyone say it, you have to be able to get that TS. And the smallest thing like debt problems can keep you from getting it, even thinks that are "esponged" yeah they still see that stuff. As far as going to the Government after, it is silly like haebyungdae said. Of all the 02xx I know very few go onto do government work, and I just left 2nd Intel. The civilians from MCIA, "Marine Corps Intelligence Agency" had very specific degrees, like BA in the History of some random tribe in the middle east...like supper specific stuff.

There is nothing in my background that would stop me from getting cleared. No debt, no criminal record.
    Thank you all for the help!

Thread Information