Intelligence career, 02xx/26xx
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Intelligence career, 02xx/26xx

Hello Marines,
    I have been obsessed with this site for a couple months now. I am planning on enlisting soon, waiting on medical records at the moment. I plan on going into the intelligence field, 02xx/26xx. I am hoping to knock out a few credits at AMU for a BA in Intelligence Studies while in, and finishing that degree upon discharge. Going out on a limb here, hopefully after my bachelors I can obtain employment in the govt or private sector of the intelligence field.

I am but a lowly civilian at the moment, with no experience in national security. I'm a year into an Associates in Web development, and very excited at a chance to be a Marine. This is my primary goal, however I think long term.

I have done a lot of research, and my question is, is this a feasible plan?
    Thank you all.

Extremely feasible.

Your recruiter can tell you the score you need to attain on the ASVAB to qualify for an intell program (GT of at least 100 I believe). You should begin studying for the ASVAB ASAP. There are study guides at your public library and you can order them on-line. You can also purchase "ASVAB for Dummies" type books at Borders or other bookstores. Since the ASVAB is used to determine the MOS's you're qualified for, it's imperative you do the best you can on it.

Obtaining college credits while in is possible (I completed two degrees while on active duty and did not pay for either) but will depend on what type of unit you're assigned to and its deployment cycle if there is one.

While in the military intell field, it's possible to develop a network with the civilian intell community which could lead to a govt or civilian career. Think it's safe to say the majority of people in civilian intell got their start/training in the military.

If you haven't done so already, you should talk to a recruiter about your plan and see what they say. The intell field is very popular but there are only so many boat spaces available and once they're gone they're gone. If you wait too long it may be too late for you.

That's all good to hear. I did take a practice ASVAB the first time I went in, and the Sgt said I did well on it. I have a study guide book sitting next to me at this moment.

There is a hold up as far as paperwork goes, MEPS wants more info on a prior heart condition I had. All should be well hopefully.

My recruiter said that there were a few intel slots open, but they were for males? I'm not sure how that works, but he said he could probably get one changed for me. Seemed confusing, but I am willing to wait to make sure I get into intel.

Thanks for the tips!

Slots for males does sound confusing. Didn't think it was gender-based but who knows.

I have a niece who needed a GT score waiver for the intell program. Her waiver was approved but now she has changed her mind about being a Marine and wants to go to cosmetology school instead...I know...it's bizzare! She has dropped out of her DEP but her recruiting command will not discharge her so she still has her intell slot for now. She is not due to ship till June 11th so I guess they're just waiting to see if she changes her mind. Shame cause I know there are plenty of pooleess out there who would love to have the opportunity she is pi$$ing away (there is a boyfriend involved).

Interesting choice your niece made. I view it like this. There are always going to be guys and boyfriends, jobs back home. But I am making this choice for myself, and if he can't deal with that, he isn't worth keeping around anyway.

I'm hopefully going in to the RSS to drop off some paperwork on Monday. Quick question, is AMU a credible institution? I know that there will be plenty of college options on base, however I would like to pursue a degree that will help benefit employment opportunities in the industry.

I finally got time off work to attend poolee functions! First one is this Thursday evening. I am super excited to get the ball rolling.

I don't even know what AMU is (never heard of it) so can't answer your question. Your recruiter may be able to however (or, tell you how you can find out).

I agree with your assessment about boyfriends. The recruiting command sees plenty of highschool romances go down the tubes so I think they are just waiting for this one to break up as well. Before the boyfriend, she was highly motivated and her recruiter said she was his best poolee. I even took her to Parris Island for family day and to see a graduation ceremony. At that time, she was all about being honor grad, shooting expert on the rifle range, etc. Everything changed after the boyfriend entered the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by chelseawr View Post
    According to their website, they are regionally accredated. And, as their website states, there is no garauntee any credits you earn there will transfer to another institution (this is true for any college/university).
    Transferring credits is always a big gamble.

Alright, thank you sir for all the help. I hope to make this goal achievable. I'll keep you updated on my enlistment.

I made 2 careers from my 0200/2600 training and experience. 10 yrs active and 17 years reserve. Retired from reserves as 0231/0251/2629/2643. Started as Thai/Lao linguist - final reserve assignment as Docent at National Cryptologic Museum, Ft Meade, MD. Retired from agency as Chief, B Group Target Access & Acquisition

Wow, that is quite impressive. If I am given the opportunity to stay in, I might very well pursue that path.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Go Intel !!!
    You'll be glad you did.

Good Luck to you.

I'm planning on it! Any advice on private sector vs government/staying enlisted?

Don't really know. I retired in 95. There have been some changes made!!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Stay in The " Corps ", get your degree, retire, then enter the private sector.
    Any agency will welcome you with open arms.

Thread Information