I am a Corporal in the IRR (recived my dd 214 and an honorable discharge march 2011) and am currently going to school in Ottawa, Ontario with the funds from my post 9/11 GI Bill. I know at seps/ taps I was told that there are things in the IRR you can do such as volunteering for deployments with active duty/reserve Marine units, but I have a question: There is a Canadian Army Reserve infantry unit in my city, the Cameron Highlanders, who I have been in contact with. Origionally, I was going to seek a conditional relise from the IRR (As Canada is a NATO member Country this is available to me I am told) but the recruiter there had another idea: Why not try and get an attachment to the Unit as a Marine as I am still technically an enlisted member of the USMC until 2015...I called the IRR 1800 number, but most of the staff knowledgeable with this sort of question were out at a promotion ceremony, so I was wondering if there are any former Marines here who have any experience with a situation such as mine.