Will Asthma Disqualify Me?
Create Post

Question Will Asthma Disqualify Me?

I have had asthma since birth, not quite severe, but I still needed medication for it. If/when a recruiter looks at this on my medical records, will he/she automatically turn me down?
    Also, how much harder will MCT be with asthma?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-25-12 at 04:45 PM. Reason: On this site, you don't rate to say Semper Fi until you've EARNED the title United States Marine.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SopMod View Post
    I have had asthma since birth, not quite severe, but I still needed medication for it. If/when a recruiter looks at this on my medical records, will he/she automatically turn me down?
    Also, how much harder will MCT be with asthma?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew
    Andrew do a search on this site for this subject.

It is really up to MEPS for a waiver....which are nowadays hard to come by.

You will also need all of your medical records....and a current PFT.....either by MEPS if the recruiter will consider you or by an independent doctor.

Read the forums in the Ask A Marine and Poolee Forum on this subject...there is a wealth of information.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-25-12 at 04:46 PM.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I just checked your age on your profile....the information may stilll be the same in three years....but a recruiter will not help you until you are at least 17.

Read the forum....

KEEP OUT OF TROUBLE

Exercise and eat well and try again in three years!

Again good luck!

Medical/Mental/Criminal/Tattoo Waivers/Lying to MEPS...READ THIS FIRST
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97158

This topic is in the poolee forum, which you're not allowed to post in, but would be a good read for you.

My inspirational story (Asthma)
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ghlight=asthma

Used to be pretty much an automatic disqualifier. Things have changed a bit and not always a disqualifier.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/asthma.htm

In your case, though, because you are not in remission but have active asthma that requires medication, I would think it WOULD be a disqualifier.

When you are old enough, see a recruiter. He/she will be able to help you out for your particular situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Used to be pretty much an automatic disqualifier. Things have changed a bit and not always a disqualifier.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/asthma.htm

In your case, though, because you are not in remission but have active asthma that requires medication, I would think it WOULD be a disqualifier.

When you are old enough, see a recruiter. He/she will be able to help you out for your particular situation.
    Spot on, if you need medication then you are disqualified. I was actually diagnosed with Asthma after I had been in service for roughly 8 years. They gave me some advair and told me to strap my pack on tight! Once you get in and the Marine Corps has money invested in you, things are different.

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Spot on, if you need medication then you are disqualified. I was actually diagnosed with Asthma after I had been in service for roughly 8 years. They gave me some advair and told me to strap my pack on tight! Once you get in and the Marine Corps has money invested in you, things are different.
    I had a similar situation, had been in 6 years when I developed a wheezing while running, eventually got worse, then couldn't breathe one day. When I had gone in on about the 3rd time to ER for a breathing treatment, the doctor asked me how long I had asthma. I told him I didn't have asthma. He told me, "Well, you do now." Back then they didn't use inhalers as the first line of defense, and I was diagnosed theopholline and terbutaline, two meds that made you feel like you were always jumping out of your skin, but you're right, money was invested, and there was no plan for a med discharge.

Thread Information