Will this disqualify me?
Create Post

Will this disqualify me?

So I just had a 2 week mental battle with myself whether or not I should go to a recruiter. I haven't told my family yet because I am afraid that they would not support my decision. When I talked to a recruiter he asked me questions. I admit, I lied, I did not tell the truth. I planned to but froze because there were so many people in one room and the ones signing up are still high schoolers. I am 23 and felt bad admitting these facts in front of everybody.

The lies were 1) He asked me if I had problems with authorities before. I said no. I have been caught shop lifting before. I thought it was not a problem because it's more of a misdemeanor and not a crime. I also received a ticket about two years ago for sleeping on the subway stairs (instead of the bench). 2) I am married. We have separated but not filed for divorce yet.

I will admit my lies to my recruiter the next time we meet which is on Thursday. My question is will this disqualify me from being a Marine? I'm really paranoid because i've been training my ass off for months now to pass the minimum requirements for boot camp. I've also told a lot of my friends that I wanted to become a Marine so there's a lot of pressure on me. The recruiter told me that they weren't really looking for graduates right now. Most of the people they call are seniors in high school. I'm really scared that I might not be qualified. I really want to become a Marine. I've watched a bunch of documentaries, read stories, and even studied up on them. Being denied to become one of the few is probably going to be my life's most disappointing moment.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJ012989 View Post
    So I just had a 2 week mental battle with myself whether or not I should go to a recruiter. I haven't told my family yet because I am afraid that they would not support my decision. When I talked to a recruiter he asked me questions. I admit, I lied, I did not tell the truth. I planned to but froze because there were so many people in one room and the ones signing up are still high schoolers. I am 23 and felt bad admitting these facts in front of everybody.

The lies were 1) He asked me if I had problems with authorities before. I said no. I have been caught shop lifting before. I thought it was not a problem because it's more of a misdemeanor and not a crime. I also received a ticket about two years ago for sleeping on the subway stairs (instead of the bench). 2) I am married. We have separated but not filed for divorce yet.

-EJ
    Tell him about the ticket and the crime.. it's not gonna DQ you. Tell him about the marriage situation.. it's not gonna remotely DQ you. Just tell him the truth... I understand your concern about if it's gonna DQ you or not... and I'd probably do the same thing.. But you have to understand that integrity is a huge thing about being a Marine.. you can't lie... and the more you fight the Corps the harder time you're gonna have.. we don't need more people in that are liars, steal your gear, and get NJP'd into the ground... we need good quality people. If you want to change your life and not do it while you're in, hey, more power to you.

Best of luck to ya,

LCpl Yonkers

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please complete your profile so we know who we're talking with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Please complete your profile so we know who we're talking with.
    This too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    Tell him about the ticket and the crime.. it's not gonna DQ you. Tell him about the marriage situation.. it's not gonna remotely DQ you. Just tell him the truth... I understand your concern about if it's gonna DQ you or not... and I'd probably do the same thing.. But you have to understand that integrity is a huge thing about being a Marine.. you can't lie... and the more you fight the Corps the harder time you're gonna have.. we don't need more people in that are liars, steal your gear, and get NJP'd into the ground... we need good quality people. If you want to change your life and not do it while you're in, hey, more power to you.

Best of luck to ya,

LCpl Yonkers
    You just boosted my confidence. Thank you, sir.

-EJ

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Here is the reality of the situation. Let's say you tell the recruiter the 100% unvarnished truth and you are disqualified. No waivers approved. Well, you tried and there are no black marks on your record. Life goes on. You could always try the Army.

Let's say now that you fail to tell the truth. If the recruiters find out, you're kicked out of DEP and they put a flag on your name in the computer system and you MIGHT get accepted into another branch (maybe, Army).

If you get into the Corps and they find out the truth during boot camp, or afterward, you get in trouble for fraudulent enlistment and could be court-martialed (which means a felony conviction on your record). Most likely you will get a less-than-honorable discharge for fraud enlistment and for the rest of your life you get to explain to future potential employers why they should hire a fraud.

BTW, thanks for the good profile.

Thread Information