DEP One Year Deadline Passed; Medical Condtion Slips Through Cracks
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post DEP One Year Deadline Passed; Medical Condtion Slips Through Cracks

In February of last year I enrolled in the Marine Corps' DEP. I was in my last year of high school and eager to serve my country. My recruiter was honest and straightforeward with all the paperwork and procedures I would go through at the MEPS. I passed all the tests and was relieved to truthfully fill out all of the "No" options except for one that inquired about skin diseases. As a child I was diagnosed with Eczema and took medication for it. But, since elementary school, I have out grown the disease and stopped using the medication; my Eczema is 100% unnoticeable to myself and others. The federal doctor did not find anything wrong with me and because I filled out the form, I felt as this was not an issue. That day, I swore into the DEP and waited for my ship date in October.

The day came and I went throuh the MEPS as I did last time. Again, I sat with the federal doctor and she asked the same questions. Now, I take full responsibility for what I did next and do not regret it at all. I do not blame my recruiter, or the doctors or anyone, but myself. I was unaware that the Marine Corps was not enlisting people with Eczema, and I boasted something to the sound of "...and my Eczema is as good as ever." The doctor then rewrote my paperwork and disqualified me for service. I did not ship that day.

My very shocked and disappointed recruiter informed me that I have to get a BUMED waiver for my Eczema and it would take 3-5 months. Being 9 months into the DEP already, my recruiter told me I could expire my time as a poolee.

A month passed and I went back to the MEPS for a dermatology consultation. The doctor cleared me 100% and told me my condition should not prevent me from enlisting. My recruiter told me my chances were good.

Now, my BUMED waiver has not come in and because I have been in the DEP for a year, my recruiter said I will be discharged. He continued to tell me that once the waiver comes in, and if its approved, he has my paperwork and can re-enlist me. Unfortunately, I will most likely change jobs and will have to ship within 30 days.

My questions are:
    1. Will being discharged from the DEP carry any stigma or consequence whether I am successful or not in enlisting?
    2. How likely is it will I get my original MOS DD back?
    3. Because I qualify for most jobs with my ASVAB score (96), will I be randomly selected out of what I can do or will I be weighed and assessed first? Furthermore, how easy is it to change MOS's before attending the MOS school? How easy is it after attending the school? (I understand the needs of the Marine Corps comes first and my preference is last)
    4. If I had not made known my history of Eczema, and went to basic training, would I have been in trouble despite marking YES on the questionnaire and it being overlooked? What if anything would've happened? (The Master Gunnery Sergeant told me on my ship day that I did the right thing and would've been taken out of basic if I had not made my condition clear, but I am somewhat skeptical based on my recruiters attitude.)
    5. Finally, in the absolute worst case scenario, if my BUMED waiver is denied, is there anything else I can do to become a Marine? If not, God forbid, how will this affect my enlistment into other services?

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Your recruiter has those answers.... Did you not ask him...??

Also read the site rules and fill out your profile...!!!!!

I appreciate that you took the time to tell us all about your situation, but it would be nice for you to fill out more of your profile besides a first and last name......site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
    Also, as FoxtrotOscar has already mentioned, your recruiter can answer these questions for you.

And there's nothing basic about Marine Corps boot camp.

Thread Information