Can I choose specific MOS after MCT?
Create Post

Can I choose specific MOS after MCT?

Hello, Marines.

A few months ago I got a contract/paper stating my MOS, which will be aircraft maintenance. What I really want to be however is a Huey Crew Chief or Doorgunner. Is it possible for me to ask to be a Huey Crew Chief (6174) or Doorgunner (6199) when I get to my MOS school? If not when and how could I expect to become one.

Also, I already know about the AG contract but a SgtMaj came in one day and said the important thing is becoming a Marine, not what "job" you get so my recruiters stuck with aircraft maintenance.

-Thank You

Well, I was brought in as an AF contract, basic aircraft maintenance. When I went to my "A" school in Pensacola I was broken down into which MOS I would be going into. This was all determined by the needs of the Marine Corps and how many slots they had. The ones who were at the top of the class got the first pick out of those. I don't know if that applies to your MOS options, but it may be just how it works.

Long story short: You may be able to pick out of a group of MOS choices, OR it may be handed to you. Since you have an AG contract you will be going to Pensacola, FL after MCT. How it's broken down from there is a mystery to me.

Another thread on this topic: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75152

Best of luck to you,

LCpl Yonkers

Last edited by Yonkers; 01-22-12 at 06:48 AM.

Thank you, sir. It looks like I'll have to give it my all. I know there's a lot of physical training. Do you know what type of subjects I should study up on, academically?

I've been a Marine since 1995. Spent 4 years in 3rd MAW. The only Hueys I've seen have been in 80's Vietnam movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutic View Post
    I've been a Marine since 1995. Spent 4 years in 3rd MAW. The only Hueys I've seen have been in 80's Vietnam movies.
    I should've said UH-1Y Venom.

Thread Information