Possibly 6 Marines dead in 53 crash in AG
Create Post

Possibly 6 Marines dead in 53 crash in AG

Just heard about this. Sad day. Brings back memories of when we lost many from our battalion in a 53 crash in Mindoro, 21Oct, 1977.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_1...nistan-6-dead/

U.S. chopper crashes in Afghanistan; 6 dead
    (CBS/AP) Updated at 9:28 a.m. Eastern

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - A NATO helicopter has crashed in southern Afghanistan, killing six members of the international military force, the U.S.-led coalition said Friday.

Sources in Afghanistan and Washington tell CBS News it was a U.S. Marine CH-53 helicopter that crashed, and a U.S. military official tells the Associated Press that all those killed were Marines, but the coalition has not officially disclosed the nationalities of the victims. Details of such incidents are generally kept private until the families of the dead are notified.

CBS News is still seeking independent confirmation on the nationalities of the crash victims.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    99 and 9 Tenth's of America is at tha Mall,these Brave Marines are at War.May these Marines Rest In Peace.All Gave Some,Some Gave All.Semper Fidelis

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    RIP Marines...

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

RIP Marine Brothers,Semper Fidelis.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Allied forces have suffered a day of heavy losses in Afghanistan in a helicopter crash that killed 6 U.S. Marines.

The Marines died after their CH 53 helicopter crashed in Helmand province, a U.S. military official said. The NATO-led force reported no enemy activity in the area, but the Taliban claimed credit for bringing down the copter.

"We are still in the process of gathering more information on the incident," an official told Reuters.

This story is still developing.

Semper Fi Marines... RIP...

I first saw a report on CNN I think it was that it was a CH-46, I hope info wasn't released before the families were notified. I can't even imagine seeing that on the news and waiting for a phone call not knowing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can't friggin believe they are using 53s. I flew them over 40 years ago. 46s too.
    How come I cried when I heard this? Am I a woss? I am so done with loosing Brothers. I hate this ****.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I can't friggin believe they are using 53s. I flew them over 40 years ago. 46s too.

Why not? They're 53Es. They didn't go into service until '81. K models are in the works. Production of 46's ended in '71. I'd much rather be in a 53.

Read in the paper they were from Hawaii...wonder what unit?

HMH-363, so they are still using the Nam era D models. I figured they would've been gone or upgraded by now. They'll be flying those until they're replaced by MV-22s and CH-53Ks.

RIP Marines!

my heart goes out to their families.RIP my brothers

That was a bad day. The RAMP ceremony for these Marines was done well.

Thread Information