Heart = Recon/MARSOC. Offered Presidential Security
Create Post

Heart = Recon/MARSOC. Offered Presidential Security

Hey Marines. 1st off thank you for your service! Look forward to being a part of the elite!

So my heart is set on being a member of Recon and maybe MARSOC later. That's just my interests. I love combat related activities and being outdoors and surviving. Those are my passions and skills I do well. I really want the knowledge and experiences. I am 26 now, I made a mistake of not joining sooner, but I hope I can make up for that mistake. Since I am behind track I have to think ahead to meet my goals.

I was infantry, scheduled to ship in Febuary, now my MOS is in the air as I was moved to April. I have been training really hard to be Recon ready. Every day its 100s of pull ups/ sit ups/ hours in the pool, running, anything I can do. I put in serious work. I am also the Guide at my Recruit Station. Right now My Staff Sergeant is trying hard to find me a Recon contract, but of course it's up in the air right now. I was offered Presidential Security Forces yesterday- I have been doing research for hours, and can't find much about whether it would be an interest to me or a plus towards the path of Special Ops.

My goals in the Marine Corps = to be a part of the special ops trainings and mission and eventually get a degree and become and officer down the road.

So my questions = Is Presidential Security Forces contract still just kind of a chance at it like I have read elsewhere? How can you compare Recon/MARSOC Training and skills to Presidential Security Forces? Would this be a good option to give me an advantage towards Recon/MARSOC? Is it basically non stop Fire Watch? Kind of "boring" for a lack of a better word. If your opinion based on what you read is this isn't right for me- what would you suggest?

P.S. This is my 1st post here, so I hope I have followed all the rules correctly, please let me know if there is something I missed so I can correct it.

Thanks Marines!!

Quote Originally Posted by IntWarrior View Post
    Is Presidential Security Forces contract still just kind of a chance at it like I have read elsewhere?
    a chance at what?

These topics may help you out some.........

Scout Sniper/Recon/MARSOC Information
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70637

Guarding the President
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ecurity+forces

Presidential Security Forces Myths or Truth

Just got Presidential Security Forces

I have read that it's a rare chance to actually get to Presidential Security Forces Duty. Like it's an avenue that lucky Security Forces personnel get. I was offered this as an MOS but I've been reading elsewhere some people say it's just a part of duty.

First things first, Boot Camp, Boot Camp, Good Luck,Semper Fidel;is.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO OPEN CONTRACT! If you are not an 03, good luck getting into either of those. Even if this means not shipping when you want to, refuse to sign anything that has you as an open contract or any other MOS.

And "Presidential Security" is just a fancy name for "Dress Blues Security Guard".

If the outdoors/Infantry/etc is what you want, then you'll HATE that job. (No matter who is President).

It looks good on a resume but the actual job SUX LOL. I've got friends who did time at Camp David (yes, this was the 80's but it hasn't changed any) as well as some of the other stuff, and to a Marine, while there, they thought it suxcked. Now that it's over they are proud of it, but at the time, they wanted OUT of there at any cost.

If you are set on being part of the SF community then don't join the Marine Corps. Recon has been overrun with medal chasing officers who have no idea what they are doing...it's pretty much a dead community. My company has a 5% retention rate and none of those who re-enlisted are staying here.
    From what I've seen MSOB looks quite a bit better but you can't go straight to it. Check out Army SF, SEALs, or the Air Force PJs or CCTs- basically anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    And "Presidential Security" is just a fancy name for "Dress Blues Security Guard".

If the outdoors/Infantry/etc is what you want, then you'll HATE that job. (No matter who is President).

It looks good on a resume but the actual job SUX LOL. I've got friends who did time at Camp David (yes, this was the 80's but it hasn't changed any) as well as some of the other stuff, and to a Marine, while there, they thought it suxcked. Now that it's over they are proud of it, but at the time, they wanted OUT of there at any cost.
    Haha, that's what I was worried about. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by fs19 View Post
    If you are set on being part of the SF community then don't join the Marine Corps. Recon has been overrun with medal chasing officers who have no idea what they are doing...it's pretty much a dead community. My company has a 5% retention rate and none of those who re-enlisted are staying here.
    From what I've seen MSOB looks quite a bit better but you can't go straight to it. Check out Army SF, SEALs, or the Air Force PJs or CCTs- basically anywhere else.
    Damn... I didn't expect to hear that. I appreciate your veracity. But my impression was that the Marine Corps would build the best foundation for an elite warrior, that you would be that much closer to the SF community with the Marine Corps. Do you feel the Marine Corps did this for you more than the other services would have? If you honestly could go back and do it differently what would you have done? How do you feel the chances of getting into MARSOC are? Is MSOB the same thing as MARSOC? Why don't members of Recon move into MARSOC instead of looking elsewhere? I heard MARSOC gets a higher % of SOCOM's missions than the other branches.
    I appreciate you taking out the time to help!

Quote Originally Posted by fs19 View Post
    A good friend of mine is an operator in 1st MSOB. He went from aviation, to combat engineer to MARSOC. He loves what he does and speaks very highly of his unit.

IntWarrior MOSOB is Marine Special Operation Battalion.

I realize there have been links to other posts regarding Presidential Security Forces, but I want to go ahead and clarify some information regarding the job (I'm currently assigned).

Again, I realize this thread is dead but I want to supply fresh info in case anyone in the same situation stumbles across it.

Presidential Security Forces is not something that can be signed up for before you enlist. DO NOT let your recruiter tell you otherwise, it is a total lie! You can certainly enlist in PRP Security Forces, but PRP isn't PSP. You'll be guarding nukes at either Kingsbay or Bangor. Presidential duty as an infantryman can have you end up at one of three places. 1) Camp David is where the majority of the Marines go because of a higher manning requirement. 2) WHCA is another assignment. Traveling with the President is common there. That's all I'll say about that. 3)White House; you may end up having to do time at WHCA before this becomes an option. This is as non-op as it gets. You literally just open the door for VIPS and look good. Still cool though.

Last word of warning: like I said, you cannot just sign up for this duty. You must enlist open 03XX or security forces (not recon, you won't get screened). Then, if you're lucky (or unlucky depending on how you see it) a scout team from the command will pick you up in bootcamp. You can't have any negative financial, mental, physical history. You must also have a high PFT and ASVAB score. Your personality also plays a factor, as you are board screened while in bootcamp. Details aren't important, you'll find out if you end there. Most likely you won't, so don't worry about it.

Nuff said. Any more questions PM me. Keep in mind that what I am willing to tell you is greatly limited by OPSEC.

Quote Originally Posted by ACoolHand View Post

Presidential Security Forces is not something that can be signed up for before you enlist. DO NOT let your recruiter tell you otherwise, it is a total lie! You can certainly enlist in PRP Security Forces, but PRP isn't PSP. You'll be guarding nukes at either Kingsbay or Bangor. Presidential duty as an infantryman can have you end up at one of three places. 1) Camp David is where the majority of the Marines go because of a higher manning requirement. 2) WHCA is another assignment. Traveling with the President is common there. That's all I'll say about that. 3)White House; you may end up having to do time at WHCA before this becomes an option. This is as non-op as it gets. You literally just open the door for VIPS and look good. Still cool though.

Last word of warning: like I said, you cannot just sign up for this duty. You must enlist open 03XX or security forces (not recon, you won't get screened). Then, if you're lucky (or unlucky depending on how you see it) a scout team from the command will pick you up in bootcamp. You can't have any negative financial, mental, physical history. You must also have a high PFT and ASVAB score. Your personality also plays a factor, as you are board screened while in bootcamp. Details aren't important, you'll find out if you end there. Most likely you won't, so don't worry about it.

Nuff said. Any more questions PM me. Keep in mind that what I am willing to tell you is greatly limited by OPSEC.

Where as you cant sign up for it as an open MOS they offer it to you at boot camp but you must be on an 03 contract a few of the guys in my platoon got selected they were interviewed extensively for this. Its worse than the TS/SCI interview, and investigation process. some people flat out declined the oppertunity, another he got to the final interview and he said he had been to therapy for the death of his father and they denied him the job but I think they told him hed be going to 8th & I for the Silent Drill Platoon.

I currently have a Marine I keep in contact with who is going through BRC in Cali. He said it sucks.

When I was in MOS school around the base you'll see see "try-outs" for MARSOC on pin up boards in the chow halls/PX/Barracks. You dont have to be 03 to become a operator *I believe*.

One of my instructors said he declined MARSOC but continues to train as if he was going in for it. The man is a beast.....

Thread Information