Promotion while in TDRL
Create Post

Promotion while in TDRL

This is an admin question and im trying to figure this out for a marine in my current temp unit. This marine is in the Select marine corps reserve and was temporarily disabled after a deployment to iraq. He was put back on non disabled orders however he believes he shouldve been promoted to sgt while in TDRL but is still a cpl. Does anyone have any experience with this issue or can anyone direct me in the correct path? Im active duty and dont have much experiance with the reserve side of the marine corps.

Any help is much appreciated

Active or Reserve, it's all covered in the Enlisted Promotions Manual MCO P1400.32D, which can be found at this link:

http://www.yuma.usmc.mil/services/le...OP1400.32D.pdf

I recommend you get a copy of this order to that Marine. He needs to read through this and make sure that he rated promotion. If he does rate promotion, he needs to get to Admin and get it sorted out; making sure to write down the pertinent sections in support of his case.

If he reads through it and doesn't know for sure, he still needs to get to Admin and get it sorted out. Reserve or not, there should be some sort of Admin support and the MCO is pretty cut and dry for the most part, from what I have seen.

Here are some highlights though:
    - Section 1204.4., Marines will not be promoted while "in a retired status"

- Section 4401.3., "When a Marine in the grade of Cpl and below is found fit for to return to active duty or Reserve status from the TDRL, and consents to return, the Marine will be reappointed to the current grade with a DOR and effective date of the date of reenlistment."

Thread Information