Swim Qualifications 2010 Revisions help needed
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Swim Qualifications 2010 Revisions help needed

To Anyone who can help:
    I have written to three Marines, all recent (one May 2012,one August 2012, and one in 2011) Parris Island boot camp graduates about the minimum recruit swimming qualifications, and none of them had to a lot of this. Here's what I copied from the internet, & it became eff. 6/2010:

---Swim under water 10 meters, on the surface 40 meters in sim. burning oil spill situation. In utilities and boots.
    ---Abandon ship technique, enter water from a height of 8-15 ft using abandon ship technique(weapon inverted at sling arms).
    ---Remove pack,assume a recon position using the pack,traverse 25 meters simulating sighting in and engaging the enemy on either flank.
    ---Tread water or survival float with utilities and boots for 30 minutes without artificial flotation. Boots will be removed after 5 mins. and retained. Five min. prior ro completion of the 30 min float, and without exiting from the water, replace boots and swim 500 meters using one or a combination of survival strokes.

Can anyone tell me WHAT the current minimum recruit swim qualifications REALLY are, and how long "iron ducks" are given to pass?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Proud Mom of 2 recruits in Swim Week now

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Since this writing, I have seen a couple of videos, spoken to another Marine who recently graduated, AND to the recruiter,all confirming that this description above is completely inaccurate for recruit minimum requirements. Since no one here seems to know or want to clarify this, and swim week is over for my recruits, I'll just get the details from them during their 10 day leave. Thanks anyway!

Sarah

Thread Information