Marines, what civilian careers have you had after the Corps?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marines, what civilian careers have you had after the Corps?

I am just curious as to what MOS's you Marines had and what civilian careers you have had to see how they translate over to the civilian world; or if it didn't. Just out of curiosity. Thanks.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-17-12 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Marines, not guys.

Hmmmm......

Police officer, (All forms of it, from line copper to Detective/Investigator, Accident Investigations, Hostage Negotiator, Sex Crimes, Bike patrol, Field Training officer, Academy instructor etc)

Private Investigator

Editorial Columnist

Battlefield tour guide

Historical consultant/Instructor on Marine Corps topics

Logistics Chief

911 Dispatcher

Security Chief/Supervisor

Military collectibles dealer

Actor

Website moderator

I think that's about it, or all I can think of. Now, not all of these are/were full time. Some I'm still doing.

MOS:

0311, 9962, 0231, 2531 (USMC)

I worked as a Security Guard for a little while after I got out.

Now I'm a Corrections Officer with the Maricopa County Jail System (Sheriff Joe Arpaio's jails to be exact).

All while I'm working on my psychology degree so I can hopefully get a job with the VA or some other organization helping my fellow veterans and counseling them some day.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Hmmmm......

Police officer, (All forms of it, from line copper to Detective/Investigator, Accident Investigations, Hostage Negotiator, Sex Crimes, Bike patrol, Field Training officer, Academy instructor etc)

Private Investigator

Editorial Columnist

Battlefield tour guide

Historical consultant/Instructor on Marine Corps topics

Logistics Chief

911 Dispatcher

Security Chief/Supervisor

Military collectibles dealer

Actor

Website moderator

I think that's about it, or all I can think of. Now, not all of these are/were full time. Some I'm still doing.

MOS:

0311, 9962, 0231, 2531 (USMC)
    Wow, you certainly have quite some experience haha. What is a Battlefield tour guide? Military collectables dealer sounds really cool too; and website moderator.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan B View Post
    I worked as a Security Guard for a little while after I got out.

Now I'm a Corrections Officer with the Maricopa County Jail System (Sheriff Joe Arpaio's jails to be exact).

All while I'm working on my psychology degree so I can hopefully get a job with the VA or some other organization helping my fellow veterans and counseling them some day.
    How is it being a Corrections Officer? That is actually something I have considered going into.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverain View Post
    How is it being a Corrections Officer? That is actually something I have considered going into.
    It's not bad. Has it's ups and downs. You just gotta take it in stride, especially when you get hurled insults by the prisoners haha.

Oh yeah and my MOS in the Corps was 0311.

Credits
    Savings
    It's not bad. Has it's ups and downs. You just gotta take it in stride, especially when you get hurled insults by the prisoners haha.

Oh yeah and my MOS in the Corps was 0311.
    Haha nice. I saw this television show about Correctional Officers and they called these guys who were wearing full pads who ran into the cell and took this guy down. Are they Correctional Officers too? Or a different group?

Haha nice. I saw this television show about Correctional Officers and they called these guys who were wearing full pads who ran into the cell and took this guy down. Are they Correctional Officers too? Or a different group?
    If it's what I'm thinking of, then yeah they are. They just have more specialized training.

Credits
    Savings
    If it's what I'm thinking of, then yeah they are. They just have more specialized training.
    Oh I see. Good luck with your degree and becoming a counselor.

Oh I see. Good luck with your degree and becoming a counselor.
    Thanks.

I did/do guided tours of Civil War battlefields. Last year was Manassas for the most part, but I've done Antietam, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg and some others. Great pay but spotty work to be sure. You basically talk and entertain people for 6-8 hours as you tramp over hill and dale. Tour depends on the group, some people want tactics, other people want war stories of the men who fought, others want a mix. Last ones I did were for Ken Burns. (Yes, that Ken Burns).

I've been a military collector/dealer for most of my life. More of a collector than a dealer now but I still dabble to pay for my hobby.

I'm the Chief Moderator HERE LOL. Have been for a few years now. NOT the boss though. Just a high level minion. And no, there is no pay.

I was 2531 radio operator and 8621v remote sensor operator. Got out and did security for a bit. Worked on the railroad as a brakeman, conductor , locomotive engineer and yard master. I am now a Police Officer. I've worked plain clothes Detective handling narcotics and major crime. Also on a regional SWAT team. I was hired by my PD just due to my USMC background. No college at all.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As a Marine, I was 3531, truck driver; then 5811, military police; and 0411, embarkation assistant. In the Air National Guard, I was in security police. I retired as a MSgt (E-7).

In the civilian world, I started with a little security officer work, then became a federal police officer. Afterward I became a municipal police officer, and like Sgt Lep, I worked in multiple positions. I retired as the deputy chief.

Since then I've been involved with my kids and in Scouting. I co-owned a graphics company for a while. Went to college and got two masters degrees.

Since then I've been primarily an autodidact and play at being a moderator here at LN.com. I work for Sgt Lep and he is a slave driver. He did promise me a 10% pay raise, but on top of $0, that doesn't add up to much.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I did/do guided tours of Civil War battlefields. Last year was Manassas for the most part, but I've done Antietam, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg and some others. Great pay but spotty work to be sure. You basically talk and entertain people for 6-8 hours as you tramp over hill and dale. Tour depends on the group, some people want tactics, other people want war stories of the men who fought, others want a mix. Last ones I did were for Ken Burns. (Yes, that Ken Burns).

I've been a military collector/dealer for most of my life. More of a collector than a dealer now but I still dabble to pay for my hobby.

I'm the Chief Moderator HERE LOL. Have been for a few years now. NOT the boss though. Just a high level minion. And no, there is no pay.
    Sounds like a good gig.

I don't really have any old military pieces, just a WWII bayonet.

Hahaha, well hopefully you can "rank up" in moderator status.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperGumby8621 View Post
    I was 2531 radio operator and 8621v remote sensor operator. Got out and did security for a bit. Worked on the railroad as a brakeman, conductor , locomotive engineer and yard master. I am now a Police Officer. I've worked plain clothes Detective handling narcotics and major crime. Also on a regional SWAT team. I was hired by my PD just due to my USMC background. No college at all.
    Wow I didn't know they look at it like that. Were you picked for SWAT or you applied?

Thread Information