Marines, what civilian careers have you had after the Corps? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    As a Marine, I was 3531, truck driver; then 5811, military police; and 0411, embarkation assistant. In the Air National Guard, I was in security police. I retired as a MSgt (E-7).

In the civilian world, I started with a little security officer work, then became a federal police officer. Afterward I became a municipal police officer, and like Sgt Lep, I worked in multiple positions. I retired as the deputy chief.

Since then I've been involved with my kids and in Scouting. I co-owned a graphics company for a while. Went to college and got two masters degrees.

Since then I've been primarily an autodidact and play at being a moderator here at LN.com. I work for Sgt Lep and he is a slave driver. He did promise me a 10% pay raise, but on top of $0, that doesn't add up to much.
    Yea alot of people on here seem to have joined the Police force. Grats on the raise!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    I'm the one who PUT you in for that big raise, Chris.

2571, now 2621, Morse Code Intercept Operator---best job I ever had, but does not translate well into the civilian world except for one particular government agency....so I ended up as trial attorney inner-city courts of Boston, a wonderful job where you get to meet plenty of very very nice people Monday through Friday. LOL.
    -And you did that for how long?

0811, truckdriver, manager of a fuel and oil business, heavy equipment operator, bar room bouncer,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    0811, truckdriver, manager of a fuel and oil business, heavy equipment operator, bar room bouncer,lol,Semper Fidelis.
    I saw Roadhouse, and that's my only reference. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverain View Post
    I saw Roadhouse, and that's my only reference. Lol.
    When you are smaller that's how you carry yourself, damn good show,lol, oh chit I have been an auto mechanic for years,Semper Fidelis.

0811/0812, underground coal miner and farmer.

I enlisted for avionics/electronics. The Marine Corps gave me legal services in boot camp. They then gave me a choice between the two. I had a D.I. who highly recommended legal, told me to bust my butt in MOS school and get selected to the next for 7 months. Told me then to bust my butt in the field and there was a program the Marine Corps had where they would send me to college. I took his advice and went legal.

Initially was a notereader/transcriber and typed courts-martial from stenographic notes. Then went to college for 2 years (the program my D.I. talked about), and was a court reporter from '83-87. Got out in August '87 and have worked as a court reporter ever since. (As you know, I also coach, but that is nonpaying.)

Security Guard, Landscape worker for CalTrans, Computer drafter for Caltrans, moved to Ky worked at wal-mart, then computer drafter for a mill work and now Goverment worker on Ft Knox

6211/6217/6616/6619/ and others in the Aviation electronics field I no longer remember.

After EAS, I went back to university and changed my major from finance to Electrical Engineering. Finished my BS and got a job as an engineer to support my university and family habit. Been in engineering ever since

Semper Fidelis,
    DrZ

"Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

DrZ is the internet name I selected in the early days at University. So keep in mind I never was a DevilDoc.
    Si Vis Pacem Para bellum

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    0811/0812, underground coal miner and farmer.
    What would you farm underground??

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    I enlisted for avionics/electronics. The Marine Corps gave me legal services in boot camp. They then gave me a choice between the two. I had a D.I. who highly recommended legal, told me to bust my butt in MOS school and get selected to the next for 7 months. Told me then to bust my butt in the field and there was a program the Marine Corps had where they would send me to college. I took his advice and went legal.

Initially was a notereader/transcriber and typed courts-martial from stenographic notes. Then went to college for 2 years (the program my D.I. talked about), and was a court reporter from '83-87. Got out in August '87 and have worked as a court reporter ever since. (As you know, I also coach, but that is nonpaying.)
    How is the pay for a court reporter?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by awbrown1462 View Post
    Security Guard, Landscape worker for CalTrans, Computer drafter for Caltrans, moved to Ky worked at wal-mart, then computer drafter for a mill work and now Goverment worker on Ft Knox
    A lot of people on here have gone security it seems. -And Police Officer.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    6211/6217/6616/6619/ and others in the Aviation electronics field I no longer remember.

After EAS, I went back to university and changed my major from finance to Electrical Engineering. Finished my BS and got a job as an engineer to support my university and family habit. Been in engineering ever since
    Sounds quite successful. A good friend of mine is looking into engineering as well. Also on a sidenote, I think I have seen you on Y!Answers before, unless it is somebody with the same username who is a Marine...

Squad Leader Free Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverain View Post
    What would you farm underground??

Mushrooms and Marine recruits.

Islamifascists delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    As a Marine, I was 3531, truck driver; then 5811, military police; and 0411, embarkation assistant. In the Air National Guard, I was in security police. I retired as a MSgt (E-7).

In the civilian world, I started with a little security officer work, then became a federal police officer. Afterward I became a municipal police officer, and like Sgt Lep, I worked in multiple positions. I retired as the deputy chief.

Since then I've been involved with my kids and in Scouting. I co-owned a graphics company for a while. Went to college and got two masters degrees.

Since then I've been primarily an autodidact and play at being a moderator here at LN.com. I work for Sgt Lep and he is a slave driver. He did promise me a 10% pay raise, but on top of $0, that doesn't add up to much.
    Aww, now I'll have to promise EVERYone that! And I could be a freakin thirty star general as a mod and still make what Zulu does....what I make now LOL.

Consider me a 'jack of all trades' renassiance Leprechaun.

I weep for what this country is becoming, and fear for my children and grandchildren's future if any more democrats gain national office. We lose more and more freedoms every single day to creeping nannystatism and those who vote for Democrats only want to increase that. Anyone voting for a 'dem' is someone who likely wants to take everything YOU have worked for and mortgage your kids future as well.
    v/r
    The Malignant Leprechaun

Thread Information